• Jack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tiger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

par_par_par_treble

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i think i might be up for a round if i can get my face in GM :D (baby and wife permitting)

Lindrick might be a nice venue, especially if its a ryder cup style event - North vs South? Old vs Young??

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Firstly thanks Mike, good to have GM on board (i have sent you an email). Lads do we accept the ryder cup format challenge, or would we like to play one big divisional comp..... I will leave that to the more experienced among you to argue either way.

I have spoken to the Secretary at Hillside this morning, in an early attempt to put out some feelers, he was a really nice guy, and seems like he could be very accomodating for this. He also said that he had been trying to get a game with Jeremy Ellwood and Paul O'Hagen this year so was well up for trying to do something nice for us.

Unfortunately we would not be able to play at Hillside on any Saturday as they run a competitive calendar all yr round (52 wks all booked).

However he said that he would be able to do something for us on a Sunday and recommended either Ormskirk (regional open qualifying course (6,600yds) or Formby Ladies (5,500) for the Saturday, and said that he could play go between to help us out.

Regarding Hillside after Easter the price goes up to £95 per round, so he suggested that we might like to consider 16th March and he would be able to entertain us at £40. Also both Ormskirk and Formby Ladies would be around the same price (£40).

He also recommended a few hotels, where he has contacts with management (members at Hillside)who would be able to take good care of us.

Please let me know what you think. If this is not suitable I am more than willing to keep searching, also not forgetting that Mike is now also on the case so to speak.

Cheers for now

Bunker von Capitan!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I kind of agree with MikeH. A Marriott style course/hotel is likely to offer the best deal in terms of golf and hotel/food.

Estimating £40 per round, £80 for the hotel, £100+ for fuel (based on not sharing cars and I live in Herts so a tank full each way), and about £50 for food and drink (cheap for two days), this gets to £310 all in, not including bringing the wife.

I could go play Wentworth for this, and be home in time for tea.

If a Mariott could do us a golf and accomodation deal, this would make it a more attractive proposition, and whilst I agree that a nice course should be chosen, this is supposed to be about having a laugh and meeting people, not just golf.

Also, some of the lesser golfers amongst us might appreciate a track which isn't an open qualifier.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
This golf day IS NOT compulsory. I will drive down and back with 2 or 3 folk in the car to try and spread the cost a bit, and there is also the option of 'doubling up' on rooms. I have shared a room many times at society golf days and wouldn't rule it out if it gave me an extra £40 beer vouchers. I am sure the final destination will be affordable, accessable and most importantly ... PLAYABLE !!

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would like to emphasise that as it stands at the moment this is obviously in the VERY early stages of planning, and I'm sure it will be a while before all the details are sorted out.

MikeH from GM has said that he will help with a venue, but I phoned Hillside to give us some idea of a starting point if you will, and having spoken to the Secretary I found him very approachable and very helpful.

The idea of this weekend is primarily a get together of like minded golf people, to play a bit of golf (my betting is there will be a slightly competitive edge), but hopefully alot of banter along the way, and a bit of a night out as well.

Whilst we will try and accomodate the majorities wishes, you will never be able to please everyone, although we will try and cater for all abilities.

Please remember this is supposed to be a fun weekend.

As always any suggestions on how to make this a great weekend will be gratefully received.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes indeed there is alot to think about trying to book a trip like this. Hopefully GM will take up the mantle and do their bit after all its through them we have started all this.
I dont think we have to play any reealy good courses, just as long as its in good shape and playable. I'm sure there are hotels over there with courses atached to them we have a few over here.
Afordability is another key factor, dont forget that we would either have to fly or get the ferry which the ferry sounds better seeing as we'd be bringing the clubs.
I think a single's competition would be better rather than a ryder cup format. This would have to go to a vote of the players.
I'd be bringing the ball and chain so thats more bloody expence. :cool:

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Let us not 4get that if there is going to be an article in a future edition of GM then this COULD be put out to tender as the host course of the inaugural GOLF MONTHLY golf society. Courses would pay FOUR figure somes of money for marketing exposure such as this event will bring added to the fact that if they 'go the extra mile' we or should I say GM could hold it there for years to come.

I should start charging for this ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Help!
Sounding good but there are so many messages on this thread, I am losing the thread ...
If/when things are firmed up can we have a new thread with all the details?
cheers
AliB

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thread certainly is getting beefy. Good to see GM have came back and are keen to get involved, I think that will be a big help.

Ryder cup format sounds fun but I will go with the flow!

Anything I can do to help please just pm me.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
BM123,

Hi again. Wow. Lots of activity.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

First of all can I say that it certainly seems workable and affordable to do a game on Saturday, an hotel stay overnight and a Sunday game for everyone who has shown an interest. Such things as formats etc can be worked out later but your priority has to be

a) Dates
b) Venues
c) Costs

As they say in the film ... " build it and they shall come"

If we play before end March then we're going to get "winter" rates. Best to play a links type course at that time of year. Sorry, but if we play a Marriott course at that time of year then I'm packing my wellies!! Best to avoid in my opinion.

The Secretary at Hillside sounds like a valuable ally to keep in with. He will let us play on the Sunday by the sounds of it, and, trust me, we shall all enjoy his course and hospitality. You can haggle for a couple of free golfers at £95 per head and free advertising!

Go with dates first, then arrange courses, then haggle for fees. My option would be go for Hillside on the Sunday, try for Southport and Ainsdale on the Saturday and we decide on accomodation later. We don't all have to stay together. Lets face it, we'll all end up at whichever golf club we're playing on Saturday, filling their till with money and getting a taxi to our respective digs. Courses, banter and hospitality are the important thing. Hotels are ten a penny.

And if you need some help later then please send me a pm. I'm happy to devote some time to help out with organisation.

Deposits? Everyone can send them via GM. Surely they can help out once we have booked courses and hotels.

Cheers

John

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just out of interest, and for information, everyone. If we are all mostly swaying towards the Merseyside area, geographically.....it might help to formulate a plan by following this link to google maps.

http://maps.google.com/

Search by typing in "Southport Ainsdale UK". This will almost certainly centre you upon The Royal Birkdale Golf Club. Zoom in and you will see one of the suggested courses, Hillside Golf Club, over the other side of the railway tracks. Nearby are many other cracking courses, such as Hesketh, Formby etc. You can find out how long it will take to travel there from your location by using the "get directions" facility.

On the Hesketh Golf Club website I found a link to the following hotel in Southport, which, purely as an example, only charges between £39 and £43 for a night's B & B for golfing parties and gives a list of many other golf courses in the area which would be available to us.

http://www.btinternet.com/~metropole.southport/golf.htm

I checked out the Marriott Golf website, too, and I'm afraid they are rather limited by location and aren't any cheaper than we would be planning either. On the contrary.

If we were to use Southport as a base for the night then I also found this rather cheesy but helpful YouTube link which gives everyone a little information about the area, including (about half way through the video) the golf. Worth a look, I think.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu7xTUPZkV4

As far as travel costs are concerned, I'm pretty sure that with a little planning the 9 or so Scottish guys who have shown an interest will probably end up sharing 3 cars between us to cut down on petrol costs, too. Assuming most others could do likewise.

What do you think, chaps and chapettes? Progress? :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
What part of Hertfordshire murph? I'm just up the A1 corridor.

Unfortunately March 16 will be a big no-no for me, MAJOR birthday which I will not be allowed to forego.

I like the idea of ryder cup style. (Another poll?)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ryder cup on Sunday would be good, Saturday we should all play in fourballs etc. This would build us forum users as a group to defeat the GM team on the Sunday.
Another poll is needed like viscount 17 suggested.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The dates and costs are the most important thing. I am away playing in the states on the 23/24 and 29/30 March so obviously these dates wouldn't suit me, (may be fine for everyone else tho').

Car sharing would be cool, Mr viscount (are you really the 17th?). I am sure if we were both going it could be arranged. I am in the Watford area, but would have to head North anyway.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Im a great fan of agregate stablefords for this sort of event. That way everyone makes a contribution to the score and all the games go on to the 18th hole. If we want the Ryder Cup type format, then the teams could be arranged on a flexible geographical basis, say North v South, with players 'borrowed' if necessary to make up one team's numbers.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Are there any lady golfers involved in this trip? I hope it's not just a men's competition. We haven't heard much from lady contributors, but I'm sure there must be some.