The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
With the sale of Cancelo for around £60m in the summer, City only have to find another £60m to buy him. All happy on the FFP front. They may sell another midfielder so he ends up being cost neutral, they have plenty spare.

Surely Liverpool have blown their chances with their current look so it is either City or Real, which does he fancy?

Not convinced Bayern will pay 60m for a 29 year old full back in the summer, not totally convinced anyone will tbh as much as I rate Cancelo. I know the option to buy is there but wouldnt be surprised to see it not taken up

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One for Chelsea fans, or others with knowledge. Chelsea have clearly gone transfer crazy, trying to beat Forest in the race for new faces?, but who do they actually have as a striker? I have looked at who they have bought and I can not see an obvious front man, I'm not counting Aubamayeng as he is a busted flush. Am I missing someone?

Swango1980

Visit site
Depends on if you listen to the noise

At the moment the talk is all about Liverpool , it seems his family are heavily involved in it all

I don’t think it will come down to money and I don’t think he will be looking to go to Madrid

I still see us being in pole position at the moment , he would be the main man , take the 8 shirt , appears Klopp really wants him and the player is a huge fan of the club - wages and package should be ok
Is he? I thought he supported Birmingham City. I'm sure he has been asked about Liverpool before, given the links, and he has been very complimentary. Why wouldn't he be. If someone asked him about Man Utd, Man City or Arsenal, I'm guessing he would also be very complimentary in those clubs.

If he was a boyhood Liverpool fan, then I'd agree with "he is a huge fan of the club". But, if he just said nice things about Liverpool, I'm not sure that puts a massive tick in that box to be honest. More like the media, and I'm sure Liverpool based media, getting excited about generating headlines.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Kane would be logical but will Levy let him go?

I think it'll come down to Kane, if he decides he wants to move this is probably his last chance for the big one and if he tells Levy he would like to go then Levy will want to get as much as possible for the player. From a business point of view this is likely around the last opportunity to get big money for him.

Swango1980

Visit site
While this may be the case there's not many 100m strikers out there atm to choose from. I don't see United spending more than 60m on one - whos worth it?

There's no way United can pass up on Bellingham without trying. He would be in your midfield for 10 years.
Agreed about Bellingham. I think any of the top sides would desperately want him, and so Man Utd shouldn't just turn a blind eye. But, I was just thinking that, with the competition for Bellingham, the fee might just be too high if we need to spend big for a striker. I suspect they'd prioritise a striker, and then try and see if there is any emerging young potential player to bring into midfield, who is not so well recognised and therefore not as expensive.

As mentioned, I'd absolutely love Harry Kane. There is also a lot of talk about Osimhen. I haven't really watched Napoli, but by most accounts he is a top striker that would seemingly fit into a ten Hag side. Question is, how much would Harry Kane cost, would he leave Spurs and would he go to Man Utd?

D

Deleted member 15344

Lets be honest - there's one team that pretty much guarantees a trophy a season and its not Liverpool.

No one cares what shirt number they're given these days, they want to win silverware and get paid a bucket load to boot.

Id be stunned if he picked Liverpool. I also don't think you will pay the fee.

Don’t think there will an issue with the fee

Also he has a very good chance of winning trophies with us - has the last 5 years just disappeared because of a drop in form after last season ?‍♂️ - we have shown under Klopp a number that we can recover and go again - being written off far too quickly right now.

There is every chance he will go to Liverpool
Is it, all the talk in the media I’ve seen, granted I don’t go on Tw@tter, is City are the favourites now.

The talk from a number of sports journalists is we are in pole position , Bellingham’s father is at the heart of it all

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Agreed about Bellingham. I think any of the top sides would desperately want him, and so Man Utd shouldn't just turn a blind eye. But, I was just thinking that, with the competition for Bellingham, the fee might just be too high if we need to spend big for a striker. I suspect they'd prioritise a striker, and then try and see if there is any emerging young potential player to bring into midfield, who is not so well recognised and therefore not as expensive.

As mentioned, I'd absolutely love Harry Kane. There is also a lot of talk about Osimhen. I haven't really watched Napoli, but by most accounts he is a top striker that would seemingly fit into a ten Hag side. Question is, how much would Harry Kane cost, would he leave Spurs and would he go to Man Utd?
I think it'll come down to Kane, if he decides he wants to move this is probably his last chance for the big one and if he tells Levy he would like to go then Levy will want to get as much as possible for the player. From a business point of view this is likely around the last opportunity to get big money for him.

To respond to 2 posts at once...

I think Kane would move for approx £75m - there's no way at his age a club would pay 100m+ for him but he's too proven to be 50m.

He needs a shot at silverware in his career, he will absolutely move if he feels this is his last chance to get his hands on some. He also cant go abroad if he wants Shearers record so theres only 2-3 options open to him. Chelsea (unlikely), City or United.

City dont need him, Chelsea surely cant go for him - that leaves one team...

Swango1980

Visit site
Utd spent big in the summer, £211m by all accounts. Do they have the money to buy Bellingham on top of all that?
Maybe if they sell Jones, Maguire/Lindelof, McTomminay, de Beek and Elanga they could make up the £211m (or maybe £2.11m, not sure where the decimal point lies).

I wonder how much we'd get for Greenwood?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Don’t think there will an issue with the fee

Also he has a very good chance of winning trophies with us - has the last 5 years just disappeared because of a drop in form after last season ?‍♂️ - we have shown under Klopp a number that we can recover and go again - being written off far too quickly right now.

There is every chance he will go to Liverpool

The talk from a number of sports journalists is we are in pole position , Bellingham’s father is at the heart of it all

You look half the team you did 3 years ago Phil. If you sign Bellingham what else can you add to the midfield? You need 3 players not 1.

You do have a chance, but I think you're about 3rd favorites.

I have to ask, when have you showed that you can recover and go again under Klopp? As far as I can see, he came in, built a great team - had success but now cannot maintain it.

The Liverpool 2020/21 team would beat the current squad about 7-0 :ROFLMAO:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
A good note. At half time Jonjo Shelvey came out on the pitch to say thank you. He had been at Forest for his medical, drove back for the game. I'm friends with someone who knows him, he was settled up here, didn't want the move but realised it meant sense. Nice to see no animosity from the fans to someone leaving, he got a good round of applause.

He also appeared in the dressing room team photo after the match which I thought was a nice touch.

Swango1980

Visit site
To respond to 2 posts at once...

I think Kane would move for approx £75m - there's no way at his age a club would pay 100m+ for him but he's too proven to be 50m.

He needs a shot at silverware in his career, he will absolutely move if he feels this is his last chance to get his hands on some. He also cant go abroad if he wants Shearers record so theres only 2-3 options open to him. Chelsea (unlikely), City or United.

City dont need him, Chelsea surely cant go for him - that leaves one team...
Utd did spend £60m on Casemiro, a 30yr old (a steady eddie apparently :) )

I suspect a club could therefore bid a fair bit higher for a proven striker of a similar age? Maybe. It is difficult to predict what value clubs will place on a player these days. What will Levy demand, given he could lose him for nothing a year later? If Levy is too resistant (assuming Kane does want to go), will Utd just look elsewhere, like the younger chap at Napoli?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the Sabitzer detail is an excellent one for United given the circumstances i.e. only knowing the extend of Eriksen's injury with 24 hours of the transfer window left open. You could argue that it shows how little depth United have in their squad that they needed to do this however still a good signing IMO.

In terms of Chelsea I think that, on a business front, what they are doing with the FPP vs player contacts is very clever. They spotted a loophole and with a bit of creative accounting they have managed to spend 700m euro's in 6 months without breaking the rules, round of applause for their financial guys!! On a player front it is high risk in the sense that you pay a large fee for a player and they don't work out (think Lukaku at £100m) then you're really going to struggle to get rid without taking a massive loss. I'm assuming that the owners are well aware of this and are happy to take the risk.

Fernandez wise, it's a load of money and you're paying for potential rather than anything achieved (4 goals in 29 games this season) and it would seem an excellent bit of business by Benfica.

Agree to an extent as he still appears to be buildong a squad. I also think it shows what little faith he has in McTominay and Fred. Although, Fred next to Casemiro seems a much better player.

That said, 10 games in 30 days is a tough stretch for a CM so he appears to want 4 fit CM to rotate in the squad .

D

Deleted member 15344

You look half the team you did 3 years ago Phil. If you sign Bellingham what else can you add to the midfield? You need 3 players not 1.

I have to ask, when have you showed that you can recover and go again under Klopp? As far as I can see, he came in, built a great team - had success but now cannot maintain it.

Did last season not happen then ?‍♂️

We had a shocking season in 20/21 where we just scrapped into top 4 - the next season challenged for everything going winning two trophies

Like I said - short memories

Skytot

Visit site
With the sale of Cancelo for around £60m in the summer, City only have to find another £60m to buy him. All happy on the FFP front. They may sell another midfielder so he ends up being cost neutral, they have plenty spare.

Surely Liverpool have blown their chances with their current look so it is either City or Real, which does he fancy?
City sold Sterling , Zinzenko, Jesus and lots of youth team players in the summer .They got lots of money in the pot

Swango1980

Visit site

They had that rubbish year Van Dijk got injured, and improved the following year I think? However, it is scary that a club can become instantly awful once they lose one key player (if that was the reason for the drop in form). They lost Mane last year, and I suspect his style of play is a huge loss.

Next year, they'll have Firminho, Salah, Gakpo, Jota, Diaz, Nunez and Carvalho as forward players. OK, they might get rid of one of or 2. But, it seems very top heavy. When it was Salah, Firminho and Mane, it worked out quite well. Salah was the main man whop made the headlines, Mane the grafter and Firminho the one that didn't score much, but linked up play. They all had different roles, and they knew what they were. Now, you have big name forwards who several probably want to be the star. Does Salah think they are standing on his toes, is he having to become a "team player". Does he feel less important that he did 2 or 3 seasons ago? I've been shocked to see Liverpool continually buy forward players, when their midfield is, in comparison, so weak.