The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
The referees body has now admitted that Fabinho should have been sent off. However something made me chuckle About there statement.
As part of a drive for transparency within PGMOL, the organisation has privately let it be known there was enough evidence to warrant a red card.

If it wants to be transparent why has it “privately” let it be known. ?
Also, if they agree he should have been sent off, do they issue him a 3 game ban?

I guess not, because presumably they got rid of that once VAR was implemented, as the assumption VAR doesn't make mistakes?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Also, if they agree he should have been sent off, do they issue him a 3 game ban?

I guess not, because presumably they got rid of that once VAR was implemented, as the assumption VAR doesn't make mistakes?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64461183
When I read the link my first thought was VAR and refs have over complicated the rules and implementation of them. This “release” is again overcomplicated.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
The referees body has now admitted that Fabinho should have been sent off. However something made me chuckle About there statement.
As part of a drive for transparency within PGMOL, the organisation has privately let it be known there was enough evidence to warrant a red card.

If it wants to be transparent why has it “privately” let it be known. ?
it's just an absolute shocker. well, they both are - the challenge and the decision. When everybody agrees, you know it's true!

But you're right, that statement is ridiculous - it's either a public statement or a private admission. They know the referees - as a whole - aren't good enough but instead of doing everything they can to improve the standards and push through referees who can keep up with the frankly ridiculous speeds football is moving right now, they are doing everything they can to protect those who just aren't good enough.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I really hope we sign a forward today..... Feel a bit weak up top since flogging Ings - no real squad depth!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jorginho to Arsenal for £12m. Seems an odd move for Chelsea. They have just strengthened a rival teams squad in their push for the title? Unless they think he is totally shot and it's another Willian. I'd have thought selling him to a team in Europe would have made more sense.

What do Chelsea fans think of this?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jorginho to Arsenal for £12m. Seems an odd move for Chelsea. They have just strengthened a rival teams squad in their push for the title? Unless they think he is totally shot and it's another Willian. I'd have thought selling him to a team in Europe would have made more sense.

What do Chelsea fans think of this?

why do Chelsea care about this years title race theyre not in it, theyre getting 12m for a player who would otherwise be leaving in the summer for free and getting 1 off the wage bill

not sure im a huge fan of the deal from the Arsenal side but understand why were doing it as a short term solution for someone who should be able to hit the ground running, but players we get from Chelsea never seem to end well......

Swango1980

Visit site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64461183
When I read the link my first thought was VAR and refs have over complicated the rules and implementation of them. This “release” is again overcomplicated.
I thought the comment "It is being stressed that while the challenge was of relatively low intensity, ........."

They've put that in to give the on field ref, and the VAR ref a bail out. Basically saying, "we can understand why they didn't send him off, but now we have had more time to review the incident in full, he should have been sent off"

Interestingly, I cannot find anything in the rules that uses the word "intensity". Closest they have is "excessive force". Excessive force has nothing to do with intensity. A player could be standing stationary and stamp their foot into someone's knee. Low intensity, but excessive force.

I suspect the real excuse that no red was given was:

The on field referee didn't see the seriousness of the challenge in that moment in time, and so felt it was only a yellow card (or he did think it was a red, but thought it would be safer to rely on VAR to make that call). The VAR ref recognised the on field ref saw something, given he awarded a free kick and gave a yellow. He was :poop: scared to ask him to review it, in case media and fans criticised him for getting involved, and was fully aware that Webb had put it on public record to that he doesn't want VAR to play such a critical role in re-refereeing games. Therefore, the VAR on the day decided to do nothing, as that seemed to be the decision that would give him less grief

I think that explanation would make more sense, that the nonsense they use to try and dream up an excuse as to why the decision wasn't made. With their nonsense, it actually indicates the referees are completely incompetent at making the most basic decisions. With my effort, at least it possibly gives them some credibility that they do have the ability to get these types of decisions right, but what is interfering with their decision making is the absolute mess that the officials, as a whole, are making of VAR.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
why do Chelsea care about this years title race theyre not in it, theyre getting 12m for a player who would otherwise be leaving in the summer for free and getting 1 off the wage bill

not sure im a huge fan of the deal from the Arsenal side but understand why were doing it as a short term solution for someone who should be able to hit the ground running, but players we get from Chelsea never seem to end well......
It's still, potentially, giving a city rival a leg up, may give them confidence for future years if they go on to win this title. Arsenal haven't been a threat to Chelsea for many years, they are just starting to be so why help them?

Unless they are confident he can offer little any more, they've effectively sold a rusty car, I think it is strange still

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think you'll see more and more transfers between the bigger English clubs going forward with the current distorted transfer mkt, its very very hard to move on players from these clubs anywhere else as the players dont want to take a hit in wages and the clubs on the continent arent paying the same fees or wages (bar the few exceptions who are only doing so for exceptional players)

Not sure Chelsea are too worried about strengthening little old Arsenal, considering their upgrade is costing 10x as much

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It's still, potentially, giving a city rival a leg up, may give them confidence for future years if they go on to win this title. Arsenal haven't been a threat to Chelsea for many years, they are just starting to be so why help them?

Unless they are confident he can offer little any more, they've effectively sold a rusty car, I think it is strange still

Its a bit strange but as fundy said - its £12m back into the coffers instead of 6 months more wages then a player going for nothing!

Business transaction and nothing more for Chelsea!

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site

not sure either but he's basically going to replace the "Elneny" role in the squad, cover for injuries, some europa league games and be brought on to see out some games we are leading. think he's an upgrade in that respect

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not sure either but he's basically going to replace the "Elneny" role in the squad, cover for injuries, some europa league games and be brought on to see out some games we are leading. think he's an upgrade in that respect

This is definitely true assuming Parteys injury from the wekeend isnt as serious as previously thought but expect Jorginho would be seen as someone who could step up if Partey was out for a period of time

some talk Sambi Lokonga may be headed to Palace on loan as well, feels like we may be a body light in midfield in the squad if thats true

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think you'll see more and more transfers between the bigger English clubs going forward with the current distorted transfer mkt, its very very hard to move on players from these clubs anywhere else as the players dont want to take a hit in wages and the clubs on the continent arent paying the same fees or wages (bar the few exceptions who are only doing so for exceptional players)

Not sure Chelsea are too worried about strengthening little old Arsenal, considering their upgrade is costing 10x as much
Its a bit strange but as fundy said - its £12m back into the coffers instead of 6 months more wages then a player going for nothing!

Business transaction and nothing more for Chelsea!
I suspect it also shows that the owners are not fans with deep seated dislikes of rivals :LOL:. It's just business and in that sense it's a logical sale.

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is definitely true assuming Parteys injury from the wekeend isnt as serious as previously thought but expect Jorginho would be seen as someone who could step up if Partey was out for a period of time

some talk Sambi Lokonga may be headed to Palace on loan as well, feels like we may be a body light in midfield in the squad if thats true

rumours are that Partey is fine, agree re Lokonga, if it's one in and one out then still one short, maybe he's so shot in confidence they can't see a situation when they'd play him, couple of people who can play the odd game centre mid if need be, Zinchenko for one

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
rumours are that Partey is fine, agree re Lokonga, if it's one in and one out then still one short, maybe he's so shot in confidence they can't see a situation when they'd play him, couple of people who can play the odd game centre mid if need be, Zinchenko for one

he plays there already doesnt he :)

think id be happier with White or even Kiwior in there than Sambi lokonga, hopefully a loan will do him some good. The other option which i really dont like is Xhaka doing Parteys role and Viera/ESR coming in

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eriksen (our most used player) out until April thanks to Andy Carroll. Good job the ref was miles away and didn't even give a card for this.......

Screenshot_20230131_123440_Chrome.jpg