The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ahh, so when you said you don't like defenders prancing about on the ball, you actually meant defenders losing possession? I assumed your definition of "prancing" were defenders able to dribble the ball out of defence with their nifty footwork. There have been some great defenders that have done this, and it incredibly advantageous for their team. However, I'd agree that a defender that tries this, but fails to do so effectively, is a liability. I know Stones has been guilty of this in the past, although I'm not so sure if he is still as prone to as many errors? Given Man City's recent record, I'm guessing he has provided more positives that negatives to Pep and his team mates, but as I am not a Man City fan it isn't something I've been monitoring in any detail.
Yeah, it's more the modern trend of defenders who are picked because they're decent on the ball but they can't actually defend. Goalkeepers have gone the same way.

In a City team that has 75% possession of course Stones looks better, at that level what he does with the ball is more important, indeed more frequent, than when they don't have it. However the England team doesn't have the same quality as City, nor do we even try to keep the ball for that long it seems like. So it's a different ball game and his mistakes will be highlighted more.

I would argue that Spurs are more similar to England in terms of level and playing style at the moment, hence I'd have no worries about Dier transitioning.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just been confirmed that Paul Warne (and all 3 assistants) have left Rotherham United and joined Derby. He has been a great servant to the club, in 6 years of management and as a player and fitness coach.
Wonder who we will be able to attract now to try and keep us in the Championship, seems like there are plenty of managers with time on their hands nowadays ;)

Wow, I wondered what my Wednesday mate was going on about on Facebook :eek:
You'd had a decent start as well, they must have been promised the earth at Derby...heard that before :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah, it's more the modern trend of defenders who are picked because they're decent on the ball but they can't actually defend. Goalkeepers have gone the same way.

In a City team that has 75% possession of course Stones looks better, at that level what he does with the ball is more important, indeed more frequent, than when they don't have it. However the England team doesn't have the same quality as City, nor do we even try to keep the ball for that long it seems like. So it's a different ball game and his mistakes will be highlighted more.

I would argue that Spurs are more similar to England in terms of level and playing style at the moment, hence I'd have no worries about Dier transitioning.
Well, given that is seems clear to me that Southgate is one of the least adventurous managers England have had (although there have been a few), then I guess it is fair to say England will not be good at dominating possession against decent sides. So, yes, it is a fair point to question Stones if he genuinely isn't great at defending compared to others. With some of the young attacking talent at Southgate's disposal (who are not maturing), it is a pity he couldn't have implemented a positive attacking game with decent possession. Stones may have fitted better into that set up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He's good for city - starts every week for a reason - but they don't actually do all that much defending to be fair :ROFLMAO:

is the reason that Laportes injured ;)

i dont mind stones but hes no world beater either, big part of the problem is all the options appear to be much of a muchness, so it boils down to Southgate getting the best combinations (which worries me!)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
is the reason that Laportes injured ;)

i dont mind stones but hes no world beater either, big part of the problem is all the options appear to be much of a muchness, so it boils down to Southgate getting the best combinations (which worries me!)
I feel like they've bought Akanji to replace Stones in the meantime as well. Pep has never had 100% faith in him as a regular starter. He only appears in about half their league games.

4LEX

Visit site
These two games are huge for Southgate. Anything less than 4 points and we head into the World Cup under a negative cloud. Italy are an average side with key players injured, we need to set a marker on Friday. They were incredibly lucky to win the Euros and their failure to qualify for the World Cup is a true marker of their level.

Germany aren't anything special but have more class so a draw wouldn't be too bad.

Southgate has got a real job on his hands to sort the side out into a balanced team before the World Cup. My feeling is he'll with what's served him well in the past and stick with the old guard. Maguire deserves a start as he's decent in a deep back four or five and theres not much else around. He's always performed well for England and you can't drop people with experience for a bit of club based form.

Not going to Rome due to business but will be at the Germany game. Looking forward to seeing Toney as he adds a different dimension to the attack.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You would have thought (hoped?) that Southgate would have a firm idea about his starting 11 and what shape they are going to play. The Lionesses had this in the Euros and it worked really well. The same starting 11, same shape, same substitutes at the same time but not afraid to make changes within the match. With the men, it looks like Southgate is winging it a bit and trying to please players, pundits, fans at the same time and not being his own man.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can’t believe that James Maddison isn’t even in the squad. Although Leicester are bottom of the league we are still scoring goals and that’s largely down to Maddison.