The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm still gutted Potter has gone to Chelsea. I had this great vision that after a lacklustre World Cup Southgate would walk and Potter was the perfect replacement. Now if Southgate goes I have no idea who would be next in.

You think Southgate leaves?

I don't see movement from him for a LONG time. Cushty job and under no pressure at all it feels.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
@fundy , would Ben White be worth a place? We need a CH to replace Maguire and he must be close to selection. I don't see much of Arsenal so can't really comment.

Hes getting better but isnt playing at centre half, has been playing as a right back (add him to the list lol) while Tomiyasu has been injured so can see why hes not been picked for the squad.

For me Id be looking at Guehi and Tomori as the options to be considered at centre half on very recent form

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dear me. :cautious: The sad thing is Southgate probably will be starting Maguire even if he doesn't play for United between now and the World Cup.

My team would probably be something like

Pope
James - Dier - Stones - Trips
Rice - Bellingham/Mount
Sterling - Foden - Grealish
Kane​

I still like Grealish despite the hate he seems to get. I think he links up well with Kane too when I've seen them together. Bowen could be knocking on the door for a start though if West Ham stop being utterly useless any time soon.

Tomori for Dier, all I recall is Dier being extremely dire at CH for England :cautious:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hes getting better but isnt playing at centre half, has been playing as a right back (add him to the list lol) while Tomiyasu has been injured so can see why hes not been picked for the squad.

For me Id be looking at Guehi and Tomori as the options to be considered at centre half on very recent form

Tomori for sure!

Supposedly doing awesome in Italy... And the Italians seem to know how to defend at tournaments!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tomori for Dier, all I recall is Dier being extremely dire at CH for England :cautious:
I couldn't tell you the last time Dier actually played centre back for England. When he was previously in the squad it was when he used to play midfield. He's been better as a centre back though. Best English CB in the league at the moment. I've heard great things about Tomori but I don't watch Italian football so haven't seen him play.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don't think he's better than Dier, I really don't. Defenders who spend more time prancing about on the ball than actually defending are a bugbear of mine. He's good enough that I don't mind the fact that he'll probably start though.

Well if your criteria is defenders who defend more are better - we need to be starting Mings and Konsa :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
I don't think he's better than Dier, I really don't. Defenders who spend more time prancing about on the ball than actually defending are a bugbear of mine. He's good enough that I don't mind the fact that he'll probably start though.
If you are prancing about on the ball, you don't need to defend. You have the ball.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well if your criteria is defenders who defend more are better - we need to be starting Mings and Konsa :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Connor Coady? Had a cracking start for us.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just been confirmed that Paul Warne (and all 3 assistants) have left Rotherham United and joined Derby. He has been a great servant to the club, in 6 years of management and as a player and fitness coach.
Wonder who we will be able to attract now to try and keep us in the Championship, seems like there are plenty of managers with time on their hands nowadays ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
I'll remind you of this next time he gets tackled in his own half or leaves a pass short and lets someone in on goal.
Ahh, so when you said you don't like defenders prancing about on the ball, you actually meant defenders losing possession? I assumed your definition of "prancing" were defenders able to dribble the ball out of defence with their nifty footwork. There have been some great defenders that have done this, and it incredibly advantageous for their team. However, I'd agree that a defender that tries this, but fails to do so effectively, is a liability. I know Stones has been guilty of this in the past, although I'm not so sure if he is still as prone to as many errors? Given Man City's recent record, I'm guessing he has provided more positives that negatives to Pep and his team mates, but as I am not a Man City fan it isn't something I've been monitoring in any detail.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ahh, so when you said you don't like defenders prancing about on the ball, you actually meant defenders losing possession? I assumed your definition of "prancing" were defenders able to dribble the ball out of defence with their nifty footwork. There have been some great defenders that have done this, and it incredibly advantageous for their team. However, I'd agree that a defender that tries this, but fails to do so effectively, is a liability. I know Stones has been guilty of this in the past, although I'm not so sure if he is still as prone to as many errors? Given Man City's recent record, I'm guessing he has provided more positives that negatives to Pep and his team mates, but as I am not a Man City fan it isn't something I've been monitoring in any detail.

He's good for city - starts every week for a reason - but they don't actually do all that much defending to be fair :ROFLMAO: