The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, that's exactly what I mean..? Why is it called the Champion's League when the vast majority who are in it aren't their country's champions?

Way to make clubs take cups more seriously.. champs league places (3) for the following

Winning the League
Winning the FA cup
Winning the League Cup

if second or 3rd doesnt win these tough , get europa and conference

europa winners get champ league
europa conference winners get champs league

win your way in

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Way to make clubs take cups more seriously.. champs league places (3) for the following

Winning the League
Winning the FA cup
Winning the League Cup

win your way in

Not sure that would make any differnece now. I may be wrong but are the rules not chaning for the Champions League so as they can invite a certain number of clubs to take part so failure to qualify does not stop the big clubs being involved. Think it was part of the plan to head of the Super League. Also why these clubs want out of the league cup etc as there will be more Champions League matches next season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Winning the League
Winning the FA cup
Winning the League Cup

win your way in
That does at least make sense. At least if you won the FA Cup you can be described as a champion by some definition. Although, Arsenal would have seen a lot more Champion's League campaigns so I'm on the fence. :ROFLMAO:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That does at least make sense. At least if you won the FA Cup you can be described as a champion by some definition. Although, Arsenal would have seen a lot more Champion's League campaigns so I'm on the fence. :ROFLMAO:

would make it interesting tho.. and for example if you had liverpool and city pushing in the league waiting for the other to slip up they would have to take the cups seriously as it could be their only way in

Swango1980

Visit site
It won't be long before the top 10 in the PL automatically qualify for the Champions League, 11th-17th Europa League and 18th-20th Europa Conference League. Or, they'll just make more and more European competitions. Like the European Relegation Trophy, were all relegated teams in domestic competitions still qualify for Europe.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Winning the League
Winning the FA cup
Winning the League Cup

win your way in

Which clubs do you want to take it more seriously? Based on recent history it wouldnt change who qualifies hardly at all

FA Cup since 1995 has been won 24 times by Arsenal, Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City out of 27 times

League Cup since 2005 have been won 15 times by Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea out of 18 times

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The problem that you have is that you are slowly but surely getting a Super League by proxy. With the invites, pretty much guaranteed entry for the elite teams, check. Fitting in extra european fixtures by a reduced or no involvment in cup competitions, check. The opportunity to earn more money as low earning cup matches are replaced by high earning european matches, check. Asdie from the fact that there is now, almost, a route to qualifying, is this not basically the Super League proposal from last year.

Now, the press release about this mad emention of more money for the lower tiers of the pyramid. I am not sure how that works as you are taking away money spinning replays and all you are giving back is maybe a non top 6 club getting in the Europa League.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forest finding it tough going so far. We're never getting that extra MGW cash.

:LOL::LOL: You were never getting it anyway. He's still the brightest spark in our team currently. I'm still not panicking just yet, but Cooper needs to take a step back and review what has and hasn't worked. We moved to a 4-3-3 to close the game out and looked MUCH better after LOB came on.

More gel needed!!! Losing to the other 2 promoted sides back to back definitely not optimal

Do you get MGW back on the cheap if they go down? ;)

Exactly this - we're basically 6 weeks behind every other team, given the late finish to the season and the number of transfers. Our season can't really start in earnest until after the World Cup break...BUT getting *something* from the last two games would have been part of the plan, and it's a bit of a worry how we collapsed - but it seems playing 3 at the back (with the personnel we're playing, is just not going to work without the correct 2 man midfield and more pace at the back (which on early review seems to be Mangala (who's been injured since the Everton game) and Lewis O'Brien (who, for some reason, hasn't started the last 2 games) in MF and the likes of Big Willy, Loic Bade and McKenna at the back (I love Joe Worrall and Steve Cook, but if Cooper insists on playing a back 3, they simply cannot start in this league))

Perhaps they didn't buy enough in the transfer window?

?

:) It was that or field a team full of players from the U21 squad :cry:

I've heard some worrying things about Cooper being given the axe - which I hope aren't true for more than one reason, but namely;

- I cannot think of one person, who's available, who would be better suited for the job. Given his understanding of the club, it's fans and the city (we've not had a manager like that since Frank Clark - not counting Pearce, but that was never going to end well, being a former club legend)

- If Cooper goes, Dane Murphy will likely walk as well - and he's been the most instrumental person (alongside Cooper) with what's been achieved in the last 12 months.

- Cooper and Murphy performed literal miracles last season to get us promoted (and I'm still convinced this was not fully planned or expected, given our bottom-of-the-league status in September last year) - so to cut ties now, when they've really not had time to bed in the whole squad yet, would be criminal. Especially given the fact Sabri got about 6 games too many and Hughton at least 15 games too many. I know football (in the premier league especially) is all about what you've done for me lately but given what they did, they have to be given the chance to properly give it a go.

Leicester game is massive now.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
:LOL::LOL: You were never getting it anyway. He's still the brightest spark in our team currently. I'm still not panicking just yet, but Cooper needs to take a step back and review what has and hasn't worked. We moved to a 4-3-3 to close the game out and looked MUCH better after LOB came on.

Exactly this - we're basically 6 weeks behind every other team, given the late finish to the season and the number of transfers. Our season can't really start in earnest until after the World Cup break...BUT getting *something* from the last two games would have been part of the plan, and it's a bit of a worry how we collapsed - but it seems playing 3 at the back (with the personnel we're playing, is just not going to work without the correct 2 man midfield and more pace at the back (which on early review seems to be Mangala (who's been injured since the Everton game) and Lewis O'Brien (who, for some reason, hasn't started the last 2 games) in MF and the likes of Big Willy, Loic Bade and McKenna at the back (I love Joe Worrall and Steve Cook, but if Cooper insists on playing a back 3, they simply cannot start in this league))

:) It was that or field a team full of players from the U21 squad :cry:

I've heard some worrying things about Cooper being given the axe - which I hope aren't true for more than one reason, but namely;

- I cannot think of one person, who's available, who would be better suited for the job. Given his understanding of the club, it's fans and the city (we've not had a manager like that since Frank Clark - not counting Pearce, but that was never going to end well, being a former club legend)

- If Cooper goes, Dane Murphy will likely walk as well - and he's been the most instrumental person (alongside Cooper) with what's been achieved in the last 12 months.

- Cooper and Murphy performed literal miracles last season to get us promoted (and I'm still convinced this was not fully planned or expected, given our bottom-of-the-league status in September last year) - so to cut ties now, when they've really not had time to bed in the whole squad yet, would be criminal. Especially given the fact Sabri got about 6 games too many and Hughton at least 15 games too many. I know football (in the premier league especially) is all about what you've done for me lately but given what they did, they have to be given the chance to properly give it a go.

Leicester game is massive now.

Talk of sacking Cooper utterly ludicrous based on whats gone before surely, all that does is set you back further time wise to incorporate a new manager and staff as well as all the new players. You must be about the only side looking forward to the world cup break too!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Talk of sacking Cooper utterly ludicrous based on whats gone before surely, all that does is set you back further time wise to incorporate a new manager and staff as well as all the new players. You must be about the only side looking forward to the world cup break too!

Indeed. Trouble is EM is a bit of a loose cannon. He's already got rid of 2 managers at Olympiacos this season.

the saving grace is the leeway he gave the last two managers - and they did nothing to better the club really. But I genuinely think that unless we get something from these next few games, he's going to loose patience and do something silly :(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just saw this on Facebook and laughed out loud in the office:

mersonidiot.jpg

Three right backs in a back four, alongside Stones who thinks he's a midfielder. Just who exactly is defending in this team? Pickford having conceded the 4th goal just looking around wondering where any of his defenders are. :ROFLMAO: Amazing.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site

View attachment 44441

Four right backs in a back four, alongside Stones who thinks he's a midfielder. Just who exactly is defending in this team? Pickford having conceded the 4th goal just looking around wondering where any of his defenders are. :ROFLMAO: Amazing.
Four right backs and 1 midfielder in a back 4? That made me laugh in the office ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

View attachment 44441

Four right backs in a back four, alongside Stones who thinks he's a midfielder. Just who exactly is defending in this team? Pickford having conceded the 4th goal just looking around wondering where any of his defenders are. :ROFLMAO: Amazing.

Interesting, rice at cdm? Didn't think he did that role anymore.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess they need Harry Maguire back in there, and give some much needed stability. And Luke Shaw at left back :)
Dear me. :cautious: The sad thing is Southgate probably will be starting Maguire even if he doesn't play for United between now and the World Cup.

My team would probably be something like

Pope
James - Dier - Stones - Trips
Rice - Bellingham/Mount
Sterling - Foden - Grealish
Kane​

I still like Grealish despite the hate he seems to get. I think he links up well with Kane too when I've seen them together. Bowen could be knocking on the door for a start though if West Ham stop being utterly useless any time soon.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Dear me. :cautious: The sad thing is Southgate probably will be starting Maguire even if he doesn't play for United between now and the World Cup.

My team would probably be something like

Pope
James - Dier - Stones - Trips
Rice - Bellingham/Mount
Sterling - Foden - Grealish
Kane​

I still like Grealish despite the hate he seems to get. I think he links up well with Kane too when I've seen them together. Bowen could be knocking on the door for a start though if West Ham stop being utterly useless any time soon.

I think we just need to accept it wont be interesting football and it wont be form players playing.

It will be Gareth's golden boys

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think we just need to accept it wont be interesting football and it wont be form players playing.

It will be Gareth's golden boys
I'm still gutted Potter has gone to Chelsea. I had this great vision that after a lacklustre World Cup Southgate would walk and Potter was the perfect replacement. Now if Southgate goes I have no idea who would be next in.