The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Frustrating afternoon at St. James Pk.

Slow and lethargic performance from Newcastle against a well organised hard working Bournemouth team. Imagination and creativity somewhat lacking today and Bournemouth were happy to let us play the ball out wide and defend crosses. Even when Newcastle got behind the Bournemouth defence they were alive to the cut back and Newcastle forwards seemingly failed to realise they needed to get across the front of the keeper who claimed many crosses close to the near post.

Unfortunately, when we struggle, there isn't a great deal to come from the bench. Players like Longstaff and Murphy sadly do not offer any improvement nor any spark. Murphy, if anything, did his best to run away from the ball instead of showing for it and trying to beat players. When we finally brought Wood on in the 89th minute we still continued to try to find our way through the middle and when the ball was played out wide there was a reluctance to send it into the box....no one seemingly willing to take on the responsibility of trying anything save for a few wild blasts from range.

Definitely a frustrating performance that shows the team is crying out for more depth and some creative quality in midfield, but Bournemouth do deserve some credit for their work rate and organisation.

Hopefully most supporters will realise that Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was somewhat disconcerting to hear boos at the final whistle....seemingly many have chosen to forget the bleak times under Ashley where ambition was a non existent concept.

Well observed minutes silence before the game.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
And youd think that will be the end of Rodgers time at Leicester.

Stunning from Son albeit against a non existent defense

I’ll probably get criticised by Orikoru, but at 3-2 I didn’t think Spurs were that great. I thought we were sloppy with misplaced balls and poor control. Hojberg pressed well, but the score was flattering.
I also thought we looked nervous.
I know it’s a win but to me the performance is just as important, I guess personally I’ve not bought into the Conte style. I think the results are papering over some cracks.
We’ve got some good players, but we sadly miss a creative player to put his foot on the ball and link up.
Davidson Sanchez is a liability and a complete joke.
All this from normally a non cynical Spurs fan

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ll probably get criticised by Orikoru, but at 3-2 I didn’t think Spurs were that great. I thought we were sloppy with misplaced balls and poor control. Hojberg pressed well, but the score was flattering.
I know it’s a win but to me the performance is just as important, I guess personally I’ve not bought into the Conte style. I think the results are papering over some cracks.
We’ve got some good players, but we sadly miss a creative player to put his foot on the ball and link up.

Seems fair enough to me, thought you were sloppy for an hour until Son came on and helped himself in style. Didnt understand playing both Perisic and Sessegnon as the wing backs either.

You will definitely look better against sides that try and take the game to you and leave themselves open to being counter attacked, sadly your next opponents are very likely to play into Contes hands :(

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't disagree! At half time the game was very much in the balance, and 3-2 didn't really change that all that much. I've been critical of the change to 5 subs because it just benefits the bigger clubs with stronger benches and that's absolutely what happened today. We bring on a fresh Son and he bangs some incredible goals, even bringing on Bissouma who would walk into that Leicester side, and he completely swings the midfield battle in our favour. The stronger bench is the only reason we won today. That and Leicester are shocking. ?

I was happy Bentancur scored, I think he's a very underrated player.

4LEX

Visit site
The bottom line is Spurs have an average defence and midfield. It's only the front 3/4 that are world class and manager.

Conte has done an incredible job in the circumstances. Obviously theres zero chance they'll win the title but another Top 4 and a domestic trophy would be a huge success and they're capable of that. They've won their home games and got two good draws away at Chelsea and West Ham which are two derby games. Great start.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The bottom line is Spurs have an average defence and midfield. It's only the front 3/4 that are world class and manager.

Conte has done an incredible job in the circumstances. Obviously theres zero chance they'll win the title but another Top 4 and a domestic trophy would be a huge success and they're capable of that. They've won their home games and got two good draws away at Chelsea and West Ham which are two derby games. Great start.
Our midfielders are very good imo but they're only told to do one specific job in Conte's team. He doesn't ask them to get forward or create anything, they just need to be solid, win the ball back, pass it out wide pretty much. We certainly have some ropey defenders though. Sanchez and Royal need to be nowhere near the team. Lenglet looks alright but not sure he's a massive improvement on Davies, much of a muchness between those two.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hugely impressive performance today, especially after what happened there last year. Cracking hit from the new Viera :)

And if you want to feel really old, Arsenal brought on a sub who was born in 2007!!!!!!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hugely impressive performance today, especially after what happened there last year. Cracking hit from the new Viera :)

And if you want to feel really old, Arsenal brought on a sub who was born in 2007!!!!!!

Had the commentary on in the car and in the background you could hear...

"He's only 15,
He's only 15,
How :poop: must you be,
He's only 15!"

And

"School in the morning,
He's got school in the morning,
School in the morning,
He's got school in the morning."

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Solid at the back, Gray back on form, Gueye fitting in and making an instant impact, excellent finish by Maupay. The international break will feel a little nicer now ?

You deserved it, well played

Thought we looked stale and out of ideas

Really questioning if rice is mature enough to be a captain