The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Dier has been excellent this season. The few games he missed, we struggled because he organises our defence in a way nobody else does. i.e. Romero and Davies also played better when Dier was in. I would even argue that Dier should be in ahead of Coady let alone Maguire.

I hate these arguments that 'so-and-so has never let England down' - you hear the same from Pickford's defenders. The fact is players should be chosen on form and recent ability, and that all comes from their club games. I would also argue that 95% of international games are against worse teams that a typical Premier League game. It's easier for Pickford or Maguire to look solid in and England shirt if they only face four attacks from third division standard players. That shouldn't preclude us from wanting our team to be the best it can be.
Has Pickford not done well at club level to continue to be selected? I'm sure Southgate, or any manager, have lots of criteria when selecting the squad. Not just how well each player has done between international windows. I'm sure managers get a good idea on what players are like in the dressing room, and whether they are a good or bad influence. They'll also want to show some sort of loyalty towards many players, or should I say trust. In that sense, the players are likely to perform better knowing the manager has faith in them. I'm sure it would be extremely destabilising if a manager just picked players purely based on form, and thus had many player changes each time England met up. If Kane went through a bad patch of a month or 2, the manager would have to drop him simply based on form, whilst they might then feel obliged to pick Welbeck because he had a purple patch.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has Pickford not done well at club level to continue to be selected? I'm sure Southgate, or any manager, have lots of criteria when selecting the squad. Not just how well each player has done between international windows. I'm sure managers get a good idea on what players are like in the dressing room, and whether they are a good or bad influence. They'll also want to show some sort of loyalty towards many players, or should I say trust. In that sense, the players are likely to perform better knowing the manager has faith in them. I'm sure it would be extremely destabilising if a manager just picked players purely based on form, and thus had many player changes each time England met up. If Kane went through a bad patch of a month or 2, the manager would have to drop him simply based on form, whilst they might then feel obliged to pick Welbeck because he had a purple patch.
Sorry, when was the last time Maguire played well?? :ROFLMAO:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
feels very unbalanced to me, lack of out and out left backs, 3 central holding midfielders when he likes to play 2 at a time and only one striker to cover Kane

but bundles or right backs and wide attacking players

I thought the same about Strikers.. but if we really are only playing 1, which is fine, we dont need more than 1 other option in my opinion.

Trippier is obviously seen as a LB to Southgate but I agree, lack of talent at LB so strong that he just drafts in the great RB's and assumes theyll do a job.

6 in midfield is enough. Rice has the talent to hold by himself, frustrates me that we dont just play the 1 of him or Phillips. Who's the other holder there?

Wide players - I sit and think... pretty average if im honest.

Foden isnt as good for England as he is for City (so far anyway) if we can get him playing to those levels id be thrilled. What a player he is.
Grealish - bang average year.. if not quite poor, but I dont wish to come across as a bitter villa fan.
Sterling - great for England
Saka - Hot and cold but when in form, great.
Bowen - deserves his chance!

D

Deleted member 1740

Southgate made a fool of himself since he dropped TAA.

Personally, No problem with him not being picked but to justify it as down to poor form but has since picked players in worse form it makes it a laughable decision.

Not very consistent.

D

Deleted member 1740

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61559342

Who knows? Of the two parties mentioned, I'd have every faith in one of them getting it right; the other has ably demonstrated that it couldn't organise a piss up... oh, hang on, it can organise a piss up but it doesn't realise it's a piss up, and whether or not it went to the piss up... I mean it's not like they've known the deadline since the sanctions were imposed. :rolleyes:

I'm fully expecting to have my Saturdays free going forward; at least that way things can only get better.

Because it wasnt a piss up? Honesty and integrity.....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought the same about Strikers.. but if we really are only playing 1, which is fine, we dont need more than 1 other option in my opinion.

Trippier is obviously seen as a LB to Southgate but I agree, lack of talent at LB so strong that he just drafts in the great RB's and assumes theyll do a job.

6 in midfield is enough. Rice has the talent to hold by himself, frustrates me that we dont just play the 1 of him or Phillips. Who's the other holder there?

Wide players - I sit and think... pretty average if im honest.

Foden isnt as good for England as he is for City (so far anyway) if we can get him playing to those levels id be thrilled. What a player he is.
Grealish - bang average year.. if not quite poor, but I dont wish to come across as a bitter villa fan.
Sterling - great for England
Saka - Hot and cold but when in form, great.
Bowen - deserves his chance!

Its a squad for 3 games, if either picks up a knock hes either not got a striker on the bench, calling one up or using Sterling there I guess
For me Id play Rice and Bellingham, not sure hes a holding midfielder as such though. Knowing Southgate he wants to play Rice and Philips and has no direct cover for them
Call me old fashioned but rather a left footer at left back, especially if we play 5 at the back! Accept that his first 2 choices are injured but surely someone like Mitchell should get a chance
Foden and Saka out wide for me but expect Sterling to play lol

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Its a squad for 3 games, if either picks up a knock hes either not got a striker on the bench, calling one up or using Sterling there I guess
For me Id play Rice and Bellingham, not sure hes a holding midfielder as such though. Knowing Southgate he wants to play Rice and Philips and has no direct cover for them
Call me old fashioned but rather a left footer at left back, especially if we play 5 at the back! Accept that his first 2 choices are injured but surely someone like Mitchell should get a chance
Foden and Saka out wide for me but expect Sterling to play lol

Im with you here! Shame we dont have many options in this team - fingers crossed Chilwell is fit for the WC

My 11 from this squad would be:

Ramsdale
TAA Stones White Justin
Rice
Bellingham Mount
Saka Kane Foden

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im with you here! Shame we dont have many options in this team - fingers crossed Chilwell is fit for the WC

Ramsdale
TAA Stones White Justin
Rice
Bellingham Mount
Saka Kane Foden

too many Arsenal players lol! hard to make much of a case for Ramsdale or White based on recent form

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
too many Arsenal players lol! hard to make much of a case for Ramsdale or White based on recent form

For me, Ramsdale is the best keeper overall and thats why I include him. I think Pickford has been great for England but I just cant choose him over Ramsdale after this season.

White is a better footballer than Coady. But I was a bit stuck with the second CB. Id happily play Tomori instead

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me, Ramsdale is the best keeper overall and thats why I include him. I think Pickford has been great for England but I just cant choose him over Ramsdale after this season.

White is a better footballer than Coady. But I was a bit stuck with the second CB. Id happily play Tomori instead

dont overly believe the press Ramsdale has had this season, he started well but has regressed to his level pretty quickly, despite the odd showy save, for me Pope is head and shoulders the best of those 3 keepers (an this years stats tend to support that). Would love to see Tomori and even Guehi, we may well do if Southgate perseveres with 5 at the back

Swango1980

Visit site
Sorry, when was the last time Maguire played well?? :ROFLMAO:
As I said, I'm pretty sure he has done well for England. Can't see anyone else coming in and making a significant improved difference. Clearly, at club level, the entire team has been horrific. He is up against many of the best professional football players in the world, and has had pretty much zero protection. Media and fans love bashing Maguire the most, probably because of his transfer fee, he is English and Captain. To be honest, although I agree he has not been good at all, the criticism has become tiresome. It is pretty obvious the whole structure of the team, and the attitude of his team mates is completely wrong. If Southgate dropped him, I'd have no complaints. And, if Dier really has been that good, then fair enough if he got a call up. However, I also can see why he chooses to select him. Problem is, so many fans have taken so much pleasure in mocking him during the season, that many continue that attitude in slagging him off when he gets selected for England, and boo him when he plays for his country.

What I do agree is that, if Maguire's club form continues, then it may only take one or 2 bad performances for England before he is dropped. No doubt Southgate will be hoping Ten Hag solidifies the defence at Man Utd, with Maguire at the heart of it, so the boo boys can focus on something else.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ramsdale
TAA Stones White Justin
Rice
Bellingham Mount
Saka Kane Foden
Pope
Trent - Stones - Tomori - James
Rice - Mount
Sterling - Foden - Grealish
Kane
Or if it's three CBs then Walker comes in for Grealish I guess.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Did you see the Arsenal v Newcastle game? Ramsdale was a bag of nerves. I think you can make an argument for Pope over Pickford but not Ramsdale.

Saying that, Pickford has been in great form at the end of the season and yes, he has never let England down. Sorry for those who don't like that but it's true. Had he been in poor form then that argument is reduced but he has helped keep Everton up this year, tail end in particular.