The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If by entertainment you mean heart attack inducing stress levels...then yes, you're right.

And have been stressed out since worried whether or not I'll be able to get a ticket for Wembley on Sunday.

I remember the same when we were in them in 2015. Had the stress of playing Ipswich in the semis, then a week of panic trying to get tickets, but my goodness was it worth it....!

D

Deleted member 1740

I would have been gobsmacked if you hadn't disagreed. But it's your prerogative, it doesn't matter if our views are different.

I'm not sure Palace is a fair comparison though, for two reasons:

1. They played conservative football under hodgson, but their players were good enough to play a different style, Burnley's I'm not so sure are. But I might be wrong about Palace, would need one of the resident supporters to give a view. Agree fully Vieira has done a great job, but not so sure that's comparable to Burnley changing their style.
2. Palace spent over £75m this summer. Burnley have spent about the same amount over 4 seasons on a gross basis, and on a net basis, 7 seasons.

Of course, that's the whole idea of a forum/debate.

Palace was an example of how it can be done. Burnley have had enough time and money to gradually change their style and they never.

Teams dont have to spend £60m on each player just to change style although it becomes easier with better quality.

I wont miss Burnley thats for sure.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course, that's the whole idea of a forum/debate.

Palace was an example of how it can be done. Burnley have had enough time and money to gradually change their style and they never.

Teams dont have to spend £60m on each player just to change style although it becomes easier with better quality.

I wont miss Burnley thats for sure.

Sorry, I changed how I worded that as I realised it didn't come across as I meant it to. I agree about not missing burnley, but i think they would have had to have gone down first before they could reinvent their style. Maybe they'll do that now?

D

Deleted member 1740

I thought you might disagree. But it's your prerogative, it doesn't matter if our views are different. I'm coming at it from the perspective of a supporter of a struggling side, with no cash to spend (not meaningful cash anyway), and Palace's transfer spend is a lot more than we could ever dream of.

I'm not sure Palace is a fair comparison though, for two reasons:

1. They played conservative football under hodgson, but their players were good enough to play a different style, Burnley's I'm not so sure are. But I might be wrong about Palace, would need one of the resident supporters to give a view. Agree fully Vieira has done a great job, but not so sure that's comparable to Burnley changing their style.
2. Palace spent over £75m this summer. Burnley have spent about the same amount over 4 seasons on a gross basis, and on a net basis, 7 seasons.

EDITED: to make sure Stuart didn't think I was being rude, which I wasn't meaning to be but wasn't sure it was across as I intended.

I understood your initial point, no issues from me pal.

D

Deleted member 1740

Sorry, I changed how I worded that as I realised it didn't come across as I meant it to. I agree about not missing burnley, but i think they would have had to have gone down first before they could reinvent their style. Maybe they'll do that now?

Not for me. I dont have any experience of championship football so i'm guessing here but I'm thinking along the lines of its easier to change season on season with the strong finance's of the PL instead of goin in the Championship where it seems a lot more competitive.

Burnley were an established team in the PL too.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not for me. I dont have any experience of championship football so i'm guessing here but I'm thinking along the lines of its easier to change season on season with the strong finance's of the PL instead of goin in the Championship where it seems a lot more competitive.

Burnley were an established team in the PL too.

I don't think the PL money is as much of a cash cow as it used to be. Seems to me that the vast majority of the TV money just goes on the wage bill for smaller clubs. Our owners don't put anything in, everything we spend is generated from football revenue streams and the net effect is we don't have a budget capable of competing in the PL for a sustained period of time. I gather Burnley are similar.

I don't know how this compares to other sides in the league and how they get / generate cash, but to me it feels the PL cash alone isn't enough in the way it might have been 20 years ago, rich owners are required. Seems to be the case in the Championship too, you need one of the following:

1. Rich owners (but that doesn't guarantee success)
2. Parachute payments
3. Loads of luck.

D

Deleted member 1740

I don't think the PL money is as much of a cash cow as it used to be. Seems to me that the vast majority of the TV money just goes on the wage bill for smaller clubs. Our owners don't put anything in, everything we spend is generated from football revenue streams and the net effect is we don't have a budget capable of competing in the PL for a sustained period of time. I gather Burnley are similar.

I don't know how this compares to other sides in the league and how they get / generate cash, but to me it feels the PL cash alone isn't enough in the way it might have been 20 years ago, rich owners are required. Seems to be the case in the Championship too, you need one of the following:

1. Rich owners (but that doesn't guarantee success)
2. Parachute payments
3. Loads of luck.

Just like our owners work.

Football clubs spend way too much of their income on players wages, its criminal. If clubs are run with a sustainable business plan they'll do well with the PL funds they get.

Unfortunately FFP in its current guise isnt fit for purpose.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Happy to have stayed up on the last day. We need a decent summer in the transfer market and hope that Marsch has some better tactics up his sleeve than he employed since taking over. Otherwise we’re in for another poor season.

Pleased to see Burnley go down. I would have loved Everton to have joined them, but you can’t have everything.

I’d prefer to see Forest back in the PL over the dog botherers next season.

I’m also happy to continue my support as a Telly Clapper given the sheer number of knuckle draggers who go to games.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I will note - I was glad to see Watford go down! They took 6 points from Villa this year :ROFLMAO: Serious bogey team!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with much of what you say, Phil, apart from Spurs being miles away from the top three. Since Conte’s appointment I think the stats show they are very much up there with Chelsea. The key for them now is both keeping him, and backing him in the transfer market.
You've saved me the effort of saying exactly this, cheers, haha. We've only finished 3 points behind them in the end, and with the ownership cloud hanging over them it wouldn't be a massive overhaul for us to overtake them.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good to see Arsenal maximising asset value again lol

Having sold Mavropanos for pennies were now reportedly offering Saliba up for 30m. The same 30m we paid for him as a promising youngster 3 years ago, never picked him for a game, and then loaned him out to be the best young player in France this season. And the control freak would rather break even on him than integrate him into the side despite him being a far far better player now

D

Deleted member 15344

You've saved me the effort of saying exactly this, cheers, haha. We've only finished 3 points behind them in the end, and with the ownership cloud hanging over them it wouldn't be a massive overhaul for us to overtake them.
Spurs being that close was more down to the issues Chelsea have had since the ownership sale

Levy and Spurs will continue the same vein for Conte - some mid level signings with the manager expected to over perform

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spurs being that close was more down to the issues Chelsea have had since the ownership sale

Levy and Spurs will continue the same vein for Conte - some mid level signings with the manager expected to over perform

not sure about that, if and i think its a big if Conte is still going to be there next year, and with only 1 year left on his contract, pretty sure they have no choice but to back him in the tfr market if they are ever going to do so, and if he doesnt receive those assurances i expect hell be saying arriverderci sooner rather than later

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
not sure about that, if and i think its a big if Conte is still going to be there next year, and with only 1 year left on his contract, pretty sure they have no choice but to back him in the tfr market if they are ever going to do so, and if he doesnt receive those assurances i expect hell be saying arriverderci sooner rather than later

Agreed. Spurs are going to do exceptionally well to secure the services of a better manager once Conte is gone, so if ever Levy is going to loosen the purse strings, now is absolutely the time to do it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Until they pay off that stadium it’s always going to be a big risk to loosen up the strings too much - he will get some level of backing but imo prob just enough to keep them around top 4

In other news the Man City Parade is starting

Last edited by a moderator:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Congrats to City

Heck of season , was always an uphill battle from Jan but we got close with some stunning football this year but fell just short again - Villa teased the situation a little

Both domestic cups and second is a success this season and hopefully round it off with big ears on Saturday

Last couple of weeks from some teams has been a bit mental

Chelsea - the ownership situation seemed to have an affect on the field but losing some big players in the summer and no idea what their new owner will do

Spurs - said months ago that Utd should have got Conte when he was free and they will regret that , he will do ok at Spurs and maybe get a cup but still miles away from the top three

Arsenal - just blew it , some great youngsters , but a lack of steel and experience cost them - Arteta really needs a big move forward next year

West Ham - was a great season for them , and Moyes should keep them as a solid top 8 team - Rice should have won Young POTY

Man Utd - Ten Hag has a hell of a job on his hands. I’m not sure where he can start , needs a huge overhaul of that squad but first need to get a proper DoF in

Everton - where to start , managed to squeeze out of the relegation places but the current celebrations mask a lot of issues within the club - there is a shadow hanging over them with their Covid “losses” , they can’t spend much more money and they have a squad full of sub standard players. It’s going to be another long season next year for them imo and wouldn’t surprise me to see Lampard gone by Jan ?

Some great seasons for teams like Palace and Brighton - playing really good football and also to Brentford

Burnley got what they deserved when they sacked Dyche

As for the fans going onto the pitch - needs to start with stadium bans , games behind closed doors , suspended point deductions and then points actually being deducted- that should stop them
Can Chelsea do anything? As far as I understand they can’t extend contracts or sign new players. And what I don’t know is if they actually have/get a license for next year.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Has to be done by May 31st I think for the license. They are pushing it close.

Chelsea aren't pushing it close, the people of whom we cannot speak are causing the issues. I went yesterday thinking it could well be the last match I see as I don't trust those in whose hands it is to get it done. Not sure I can say any more, if indeed I can say that much.