The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chelsea aren't pushing it close, the people of whom we cannot speak are causing the issues. I went yesterday thinking it could well be the last match I see as I don't trust those in whose hands it is to get it done. Not sure I can say any more, if indeed I can say that much.
It was a general 'they'. There is no benefit to Chelsea for this to drag on. The whole issue of player contracts and signings is all on hold, as you know. Resolve it within a week and little harm done. Any more and you could be missing out.

According to the BBC website as Abramovich has a Portuguese passport they also need to agree to the terms of the deal o_O

Yorkhacker

Visit site
According to the BBC website as Abramovich has a Portuguese passport they also need to agree to the terms of the deal o_O

Crazy isn't it. You'd think they (the government & the people handling the sale) would have known that and consulted with the Portuguese government when the sale process started. Hasn't Abramovich also got an Israeli passport. Do they need to agree to the sale too?

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It was a general 'they'. There is no benefit to Chelsea for this to drag on. The whole issue of player contracts and signings is all on hold, as you know. Resolve it within a week and little harm done. Any more and you could be missing out.

He needs to be careful, he'll be playing for Wolves next season.

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm hoping Saints sign a new manager before anyone else. Ralph is taking us backwards. Appreciate all his efforts but time to move on.

Swango1980

Visit site
Where in the table would you realistically expect to finish?
I reckon he is more concerned with the end of season form, rather than final position in the table. Since 5th March, Southampton have had 10 defeats, 2 draws and 1 win. The win was versus Arsenal. Some annoying defeats amongst those 10, like a 2-1 home loss to Watford, 6-0 home drubbing by Chelsea and also losing to teams like Burnley and Brentford. Even the 2-1 defeat at home to Liverpool must have been frustrating. Going 1-0 with a great goal, but allowing Liverpool's reserve team to dictate the game thereafter. Having watched that game, they seemed to have no fight or confidence that they could win 1st or second balls, and it seemed inevitable Liverpool would win. You'd expect some other mid table type teams to at least put up a battle.

So, I'm guessing a Southampton fan might be worried that sort of form continues into next season. Sure, it is a chance to start afresh, but you wonder why the coach has seemingly been unable to pick up the players at the back end of the season, and what happens if they start poorly next season?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I reckon he is more concerned with the end of season form, rather than final position in the table. Since 5th March, Southampton have had 10 defeats, 2 draws and 1 win. The win was versus Arsenal. Some annoying defeats amongst those 10, like a 2-1 home loss to Watford, 6-0 home drubbing by Chelsea and also losing to teams like Burnley and Brentford. Even the 2-1 defeat at home to Liverpool must have been frustrating. Going 1-0 with a great goal, but allowing Liverpool's reserve team to dictate the game thereafter. Having watched that game, they seemed to have no fight or confidence that they could win 1st or second balls, and it seemed inevitable Liverpool would win. You'd expect some other mid table type teams to at least put up a battle.

So, I'm guessing a Southampton fan might be worried that sort of form continues into next season. Sure, it is a chance to start afresh, but you wonder why the coach has seemingly been unable to pick up the players at the back end of the season, and what happens if they start poorly next season?
They were exactly the same last season though, weirdly. A lot of people predicted them to go down because of their terrible form at the back end of last season - and then losing Ings. And having checked our season predictions a fair few predicted Hasenhuttl to be the first manager to go. But he got them playing again for a while. He'll have to do that again, and quickly.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Leicester City's last 4 Premiership games,

Played 4, Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 0. (1:1 draw at Chelsea)

Goal difference +10 in 4 games!

Shame about the other 34 games, eh?

Swango1980

Visit site
I think that's only because he's had Rice, or Henderson, or Phillips in front of him, whereas Man Utd have.. well...
Well, Southgate has picked Rice and Phillips, so maybe that answers your question? And, has Maguire let Southgate down yet? If Southgate could pick VVD, then there'd be no contest. However, I've never been fully convinced on Dier's ability as a centre back. Granted, I do not watch every Spurs game , and so maybe he has played brilliantly and gone quietly under the radar (to non Spurs fans)?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, Southgate has picked Rice and Phillips, so maybe that answers your question? And, has Maguire let Southgate down yet? If Southgate could pick VVD, then there'd be no contest. However, I've never been fully convinced on Dier's ability as a centre back. Granted, I do not watch every Spurs game , and so maybe he has played brilliantly and gone quietly under the radar (to non Spurs fans)?
Dier has been excellent this season. The few games he missed, we struggled because he organises our defence in a way nobody else does. i.e. Romero and Davies also played better when Dier was in. I would even argue that Dier should be in ahead of Coady let alone Maguire.

I hate these arguments that 'so-and-so has never let England down' - you hear the same from Pickford's defenders. The fact is players should be chosen on form and recent ability, and that all comes from their club games. I would also argue that 95% of international games are against worse teams that a typical Premier League game. It's easier for Pickford or Maguire to look solid in and England shirt if they only face four attacks from third division standard players. That shouldn't preclude us from wanting our team to be the best it can be.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Crazy isn't it. You'd think they (the government & the people handling the sale) would have known that and consulted with the Portuguese government when the sale process started. Hasn't Abramovich also got an Israeli passport. Do they need to agree to the sale too?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61559342

Who knows? Of the two parties mentioned, I'd have every faith in one of them getting it right; the other has ably demonstrated that it couldn't organise a piss up... oh, hang on, it can organise a piss up but it doesn't realise it's a piss up, and whether or not it went to the piss up... I mean it's not like they've known the deadline since the sanctions were imposed. :rolleyes:

I'm fully expecting to have my Saturdays free going forward; at least that way things can only get better.