The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chelsea sold for 4.25 billion

What I don't get is how is Chelsea so expensive if Roman isn't getting anything? Surely prices only rise so high as that's what the current owners want to walk away with after costs etc

If he isn't getting a penny couldn't chelsea have been sold for a lot less?

Anyways least that mess is sorted

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

What I don't get is how is Chelsea so expensive if Roman isn't getting anything? Surely prices only rise so high as that's what the current owners want to walk away with after costs etc

It's a staggering amount which ever way you look at it. Where can you recover your money and grow it when you have spent that much? It makes the £305m spent to buy Newcastle look like an absolute steal.

I agree with your thinking, I don't get it ?‍♂️

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

More about the demand and how many were prepared to pay an eye watering amount for it (the highest ever for a sports team?). Location a massive part of that demand and the price suitors are prepared to pay

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
More about the demand and how many were prepared to pay an eye watering amount for it (the highest ever for a sports team?). Location a massive part of that demand and the price suitors are prepared to pay

Made even more bizarre, when the owners don’t fully own the ground.
Believe BlueInMunich made reference to the fans buying a share pre Abramovich!!!!!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see were setting the bar high, Elneny who was deemed surplus to requirements earlier in the season has now signed a new contract. What is it with us and central midfielders and this sort of contract renewal :(

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Made even more bizarre, when the owners don’t fully own the ground.
Believe BlueInMunich made reference to the fans buying a share pre Abramovich!!!!!

Well we dont own our stadium yet our owners believe we are worth more than Newcastle

It's like they paid very little for the club, used the sale of Upton park to clear the debts . Got given a stadium for free yet somehow they believe the club's worth 350 million? It's just insane

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If they are not buying prime London real estate then what are they paying the billions for? I'd love to hear their reasoning.

TV money in the billions - and it will only grow!

Money to be made in football - I know ive read and heard a lot about the Glazers taking money out of United for example?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
TV money in the billions - and it will only grow!

Money to be made in football - I know ive read and heard a lot about the Glazers taking money out of United for example?
But that much? I go back to Newcastle, as it is the most recent. £305m for a PL team with a stadium already built and needing minimal money spending on it. Chelsea have moved the decimal point and added another 1/3. Southampton sold for about £100m this year.

They will have to be making whopping amounts to pay back banks, investors etc on that scale.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
But that much? I go back to Newcastle, as it is the most recent. £305m for a PL team with a stadium already built and needing minimal money spending on it. Chelsea have moved the decimal point and added another 1/3. Southampton sold for about £100m this year.

They will have to be making whopping amounts to pay back banks, investors etc on that scale.

But

1) Chelsea are recently successful and have CL money coming in too
2) Globally better known and more marketable
3) Can place top 4 without significant investment needed in the playing squad.

City have spent roughly 2 billion so far just trying to become relevant, and they've done well doing so. (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soc...h money have Manchester,the club back in 2008.)

Newcastle will cost more in todays money I imagine to develop a playing squad and infrastructure to compete at the highest level.

Why not invest it all in one go, buy something ready made to compete at all levels - and then wait for the money to come in?

Yorkhacker

Visit site

London prices! And West London prices at that. It would be the same in similar parts of capital cities in every part of the western world. Nearly everybody in the world knows London, Newcastle not so much.

Swango1980

Visit site

Well, although Newcastle FC is a big club in the UK, it was never likely to be considered one of the so-called top 6 clubs. That phrase is meaningless in many ways, but it probably means Newcastle is not a major global brand. Chelsea is. They have won Premier League titles and featured heavily at the final stages of the Champions League. So, the money that generates is probably monumental compared to Newcastle, just in terms of sponsorship.

Chelsea's location in London should probably not be underestimated either.

Newcastle may well have been a very good deal as well? It may not have the global brand, but the owners bought a Premier League club and they have a lot of flexibility to try and grow the club. So, I think that would be quite an exciting buy for them, especially as it is essentially a one club city, and thus most of the city of Newcastle will be behind them.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The price will reflect, to a degree, the buyers perceived value of revenue per user they have in their fan base. A quick check and the price is about £44 per Chelsea fan worldwide. That is not a remarkable number to make back per fan over a period of years in things like advertising and merchandise. It is not dissimilar to the purchase price of, random current example, Twitter.

They’re not buying a football club. They’re buying a business.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But

1) Chelsea are recently successful and have CL money coming in too
2) Globally better known and more marketable
3) Can place top 4 without significant investment needed in the playing squad.

City have spent roughly 2 billion so far just trying to become relevant, and they've done well doing so. (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/how-much-manchester-city-spent-squad-value-transfer-fee-players/qejkb6nmxowbvkn1r4auh9r8#:~:text=How much money have Manchester,the club back in 2008.)

Newcastle will cost more in todays money I imagine to develop a playing squad and infrastructure to compete at the highest level.

Why not invest it all in one go, buy something ready made to compete at all levels - and then wait for the money to come in?
All of that makes sense, as do the other replies, but it still seems OTT. The Newcastle owners for example have around £4bn spare in comparison to turn them into a global brand. During that time Chelsea will still be spending big each season, the spending does not stop.

As you say, City have spent roughly £2bn, half the price of the Chelsea purchase price. Who has the better deal?

They do have a ready made package at Chelsea, saying that the ground needs an upgrade I believe, but all of that money needs to be given back to someone, it is not like Elon Musk has bought them with cash. The money will be from other investors, banks etc then need paying each year, on top of player expenditure, the ground upgrade that is needed. It seems out of kilter with other club sales but I guess it makes sense to the buyers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
London prices! And West London prices at that. It would be the same in similar parts of capital cities in every part of the western world. Nearly everybody in the world knows London, Newcastle not so much.
The world did not know Man City 10 years ago. Things can soon change, particularly when clubs have bottomless pockets. I'm only using Newcastle as an example as they were recently sold and the cost is out there. If I had that much to spend and wanted to buy a club that could grow and make a great return, as @Jimaroid states, it is a business, then I would be looking at someone like Leeds, West Ham, Wolves, Derby if you wanted to look long term. The potential for big growth is in those clubs.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
All of that makes sense, as do the other replies, but it still seems OTT. The Newcastle owners for example have around £4bn spare in comparison to turn them into a global brand. During that time Chelsea will still be spending big each season, the spending does not stop.

As you say, City have spent roughly £2bn, half the price of the Chelsea purchase price. Who has the better deal?

They do have a ready made package at Chelsea, saying that the ground needs an upgrade I believe, but all of that money needs to be given back to someone, it is not like Elon Musk has bought them with cash. The money will be from other investors, banks etc then need paying each year, on top of player expenditure, the ground upgrade that is needed. It seems out of kilter with other club sales but I guess it makes sense to the buyers.

Good question... would city pay another 2 bill for 2 champions leagues - I think yes...