The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
So Klopp has won the Premier League Manager of the Season award, that seems a bit of a stretch for me. I'm assuming that they take all the competitions into account, which is wrong for me.

In the Premier League alone, surely Franks has exceeded expectations the most?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That woud be an interesting question, starting with the lowest club in league football and workng up, how many clubs could you buy for the price of Grealish. Or, as an altentative, working in the same direction, how many clubs could be made debt free and financially stable for that money.
I think it would be very interesting to see a table of the finances of each club, showing current debt, income and expenditure p/a. I wonder how many are actually in the black, very few I suspect. The question tends to be how manageable is the debt?

It sounds simple for an altruistic club to clear the debt in all of Div 2 but if clubs run at a loss every year does clearing the debt solve the problem?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Chelsea sold for 4.25 billion

What I don't get is how is Chelsea so expensive if Roman isn't getting anything? Surely prices only rise so high as that's what the current owners want to walk away with after costs etc

If he isn't getting a penny couldn't chelsea have been sold for a lot less?

Anyways least that mess is sorted

They do have a ready made package at Chelsea, saying that the ground needs an upgrade I believe, but all of that money needs to be given back to someone, it is not like Elon Musk has bought them with cash. The money will be from other investors, banks etc then need paying each year, on top of player expenditure, the ground upgrade that is needed. It seems out of kilter with other club sales but I guess it makes sense to the buyers.

Not exactly; they were sold for £2.5 billion with a commitment to invest £1.75 billion;

https://news.sky.com/story/chelsea-...signs-purchase-agreement-to-buy-club-12607230

"Of the total investment being made, £2.5bn will be applied to purchase the shares in the club"

"In addition the proposed new owners will commit £1.75bn in further investment for the benefit of the club."

"This includes investments in Stamford Bridge, the academy, the women's team and Kingsmeadow and continued funding for the Chelsea Foundation."

So whilst paying £4.25 billion in total, approximately 40% of that total will be committed to improving the value of their £2.5 billion investment.

They also have to commit to not taking management fees or dividends, or selling shares, for the next 10 years.

It was the best Roman could do for us given the circumstances.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not exactly; they were sold for £2.5 billion with a commitment to invest £1.75 billion;

https://news.sky.com/story/chelsea-...signs-purchase-agreement-to-buy-club-12607230

"Of the total investment being made, £2.5bn will be applied to purchase the shares in the club"

"In addition the proposed new owners will commit £1.75bn in further investment for the benefit of the club."

"This includes investments in Stamford Bridge, the academy, the women's team and Kingsmeadow and continued funding for the Chelsea Foundation."

So whilst paying £4.25 billion in total, approximately 40% of that total will be committed to improving the value of their £2.5 billion investment.

They also have to commit to not taking management fees or dividends, or selling shares, for the next 10 years.

It was the best Roman could do for us given the circumstances.

At least it's sorted and can draw a line under it and look to next season

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, it could easily have gone another way with Chelsea being used as a political football and with the club being allowed to very publicly collapse and then being used as an argument against sanctions and in support of the Russian position.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Kalvin Phillips rumoured to be on his way to City.
Is he good enough?

Also Raphina off to Barca,quality player that will look even better with better players around him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its actually pretty sickening to consider isnt it. One hundred million pounds for one dude... who then doesnt actually even make the best XI :ROFLMAO:

Hes done well out of it though, now the face of Gucci! Hes very much the Beckham of the modern era.
Grealish is nowhere near as handsome as Beckham, you wash your mouth out!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is he good enough?

Also Raphina off to Barca,quality player that will look even better with better players around him.
I thought he looked excellent in the Euro's last year. Add in the quality of players around him at City and I think it would be a great move for City and the player.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought he looked excellent in the Euro's last year. Add in the quality of players around him at City and I think it would be a great move for City and the player.
I guess they're looking for the new Fernandinho, but with Rodri being such a key player, I do hope Phillips won't just be sitting on the bench. Many a young English player has been ruined this way.

Swango1980

Visit site
That woud be an interesting question, starting with the lowest club in league football and workng up, how many clubs could you buy for the price of Grealish. Or, as an altentative, working in the same direction, how many clubs could be made debt free and financially stable for that money.
How many clubs could be bought for his weekly / monthly / annual wage?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

He is the cheaper option than rice aswell.. I rate Phillips highly and would suit citys style of play

But no looking past the fact he would cost less so more attractive option if he does indeed end up on the bench a bit

People say grealish didn't play much but he played 27 games scoring 7

City compete on many fronts so he will get games

Phillips as an option to rest rodri. Class

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is he good enough?

He is absolutely good enough. I would except him to thrive under Pep surrounded by the players they have.

Barca have made an initial offer for Rapha. Which is about half of what he is worth. I think we’re holding on till after the World Cup to see if his value rises.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess they're looking for the new Fernandinho, but with Rodri being such a key player, I do hope Phillips won't just be sitting on the bench. Many a young English player has been ruined this way.
City play so many games in a season though. Philips might not play every game but he will play enough. Pep is a definite rotator, he likes to keep players fresh.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
He is the cheaper option than rice aswell.. I rate Phillips highly and would suit citys style of play

But no looking past the fact he would cost less so more attractive option if he does indeed end up on the bench a bit

People say grealish didn't play much but he played 27 games scoring 7

City compete on many fronts so he will get games

Phillips as an option to rest rodri. Class

How many of the 27 did he start?

I actually think Grealish looks decent for City,but for the price tag he should look better than decent.
But that’s not his fault ?‍♂️.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many of the 27 did he start?

I actually think Grealish looks decent for City,but for the price tag he should look better than decent.
But that’s not his fault ?‍♂️.

Should he look better ? The price means nothing really it's only what city were willing to pay

Too much is laid on how much a club pays for a player, if they do the job required of the club playing then that should be enough

He has some of the best players in the world to get in front of

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Should he look better ? The price means nothing really it's only what city were willing to pay

Too much is laid on how much a club pays for a player, if they do the job required of the club playing then that should be enough

He has some of the best players in the world to get in front of
Well I’d expect a £100m player to look amazing tbh.
But like I said the price tag isn’t his fault.
He looks like he’s absolutely loving it tho,doubt he’s been sober since Sunday ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re Grealish, I think he has done Ok. Brilliant no, poor no. Could he have done better. definately. When I look back over the years there have not been many players that have come to City and hit the ground running. At one time the ethos was “ you have spent X millions so they should slot straight in“. Apart from transferred Prem league players alla Stirling and Walker. Most foreign players have struggled With the first season, with the exception of Aguero, Diaz and Laporte. Others inc both Silvas, Cancelo
So Klopp has won the Premier League Manager of the Season award, that seems a bit of a stretch for me. I'm assuming that they take all the competitions into account, which is wrong for me.

Joking aside I am not a lover of awards being presented before the season has done. Ironically Klopp never won one manger of the month award for the premier league. It’s a premier league award. Not league cup, FA cup award or potential Champs league award.
Ps I would not of given it to Pep either. The Brentford gaffa or Eddie Howe would of been in my top three.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Turns out you do get a trophy for finishing 2nd ?‍♂️
Strange one to me if it’s premier league manager of the yr ?