The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Ok I’m confused in regards Bale ?!

He will go down as one of their most important players over the last 20 years for them - he played a big part in them winning 4 CL’s whilst there , stepping up in those finals even more so against their City rivals. Wouldn’t have got anywhere near achieving anything of the same at Utd or indeed any other club both team wise or individually
So, you think Bale is regarded as a legend amongst Real Madrid fans? Despite, as you rightly said, what he has done for them on the pitch? Now I'm confused. And, I never said he wasn't successful at Madrid in terms of winning trophies. But, as an individual, he could have been a legend at many more big clubs, and perhaps been very successful as well. Perhaps not at Utd (although he probably would have still been the main man and had a better chance to reach legendary status, which of course he could have also had if he stayed at Spurs). What if he had joined City, Liverpool or Bayern? Good chance he'd have been successful and the key player in those teams, without being in the shadow of Ronaldo.

It is a similar discussion to Steven Gerrard, but in reverse. There is no doubt he is legend at a big club (Liverpool), and was their main man. He could have gone to another club for success and money, but ultimately elected to stay at Liverpool. Had they actually had any sustained success, perhaps he'd be better praised / recognised amongst global football fans.

To be fair, one of the Champions League wins was gifted to him by Karius :)

D

Deleted member 15344

So, you think Bale is regarded as a legend amongst Real Madrid fans? Despite, as you rightly said, what he has done for them on the pitch? Now I'm confused. And, I never said he wasn't successful at Madrid in terms of winning trophies. But, as an individual, he could have been a legend at many more big clubs, and perhaps been very successful as well. Perhaps not at Utd (although he probably would have still been the main man and had a better chance to reach legendary status, which of course he could have also had if he stayed at Spurs). What if he had joined City, Liverpool or Bayern? Good chance he'd have been successful and the key player in those teams, without being in the shadow of Ronaldo.

It is a similar discussion to Steven Gerrard, but in reverse. There is no doubt he is legend at a big club (Liverpool), and was their main man. He could have gone to another club for success and money, but ultimately elected to stay at Liverpool. Had they actually had any sustained success, perhaps he'd be better praised / recognised amongst global football fans.

To be fair, one of the Champions League wins was gifted to him by Karius :)

Bale was never going to be successful at Spurs - they didn’t have the team , he went to arguably the biggest club in the world and wasn’t in anyones shadow on the pitch , he made his place his own in the team for a good period of time

Players don’t always want to be the “main man” - players want to win , play in the best teams and pick up the trophies , that’s why he went to Madrid - not Utd or Bayern etc - he wouldn’t have been the same player and had the same impact.

And when Bale does leave he will be recognised as one of their best players over the modern era along with the likes of Modric etc .

And Gerrard was always recognised Globally - the CL final in 05 sorted that out as his European accolades show as well

Swango1980

Visit site
Bale was never going to be successful at Spurs - they didn’t have the team , he went to arguably the biggest club in the world and wasn’t in anyones shadow on the pitch , he made his place his own in the team for a good period of time

Players don’t always want to be the “main man” - players want to win , play in the best teams and pick up the trophies , that’s why he went to Madrid - not Utd or Bayern etc - he wouldn’t have been the same player and had the same impact.

And when Bale does leave he will be recognised as one of their best players over the modern era along with the likes of Modric etc .

And Gerrard was always recognised Globally - the CL final in 05 sorted that out as his European accolades show as well
Firstly, Gareth Bale and every other player were always in Ronaldo's shadow. Bale did amazing things at Madrid, but Ronaldo was always always considered the main man in that team. You may choose to deny this, but I will respectfully say you arew wrong. It is amazing how many people are starting to sing the praises of Benzema, as if he is found another gear. However, he was always a great player, it was just that, he to was in Ronaldo's shadow. One direct consequence for Bale would be, had Ronaldo not been at Madrid, Bale would have probably taken all their free-kicks. I always felt Bale was (is) an unbelievable free kick taker, but moving to Real Madrid essentially meant he would not be able to showcase that particular talent as much as he would have done at other clubs.

However, please try and understand the context of the post in the first place. Regarding Grealish, Bdill93 said he felt Grealish would be better for Utd than City. I of course knew he wasn't implying he'd win more trophies at Man Utd. Rather, from an individual perspective, he'd be a bigger fish in the Man Utd squad, and therefore he'd get to showcase his talents more. Whereas at City he is just another excellent player in a team blessed with them. I tended to agree with that comment (albeit we'll never know how any individual player will do in a situation that never happened). I then simply compared that to Gareth Bale, and had he gone to several other big clubs, he'd have had a chance to showcase his talents even more so than he could at Madrid. Whether or not that leads to lots of success, we'll never know. Nor do I know what is in the head of Gareth Bale, maybe he is content picking up a big salary, playing golf and getting abused by Madrid fans. Maybe he was happy not to be the main man. He has had fantastic moments on the pitch for Madrid. But, had he gone to Liverpool, for example, I'm sure he would also have had some fantastic moments on the pitch.

D

Deleted member 1147

Roma played last night.... (same number of English players in the starting 11 as Liverpool!!! ) ;):D

As for Saturday, no chance!! :ROFLMAO:
A successful Premiership team really is good for the National Team isn't it?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Me am a neutral, hope for a good game and may the best team win. All I will say, beware the Real Madrid dark shenanigan.