The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The world did not know Man City 10 years ago. Things can soon change, particularly when clubs have bottomless pockets. I'm only using Newcastle as an example as they were recently sold and the cost is out there. If I had that much to spend and wanted to buy a club that could grow and make a great return, as @Jimaroid states, it is a business, then I would be looking at someone like Leeds, West Ham, Wolves, Derby if you wanted to look long term. The potential for big growth is in those clubs.

I am guessing that it is all much more of a gamble now though. Only the biggest and most succesful clubs will get that global recognition (history will have some bearing on that as well). With City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United already firmly established and with there being reasonable recognition for Arsenal and Spurs as well, Newcastle or any other club would need to win a lot and win regularly before making a dent on the global market. Not sure that any other club will repeat what City did and go from unknown to a global brand

Swango1980

Visit site
Actually think he'd be better for you than City
I tend to agree. The way it stands, he'd get more success at City, but he'd be a much more important player to Utd which would probably suit his character? At City, he is just another midfielder in a large group of fantastic midfielders. Bit like when Bale went to Madrid. He always had a great chance of winning trophies, but from a personal standpoint he would always be in the shadow of Ronaldo. There'd probably have been many clubs, including Utd, where he would have been the most important player in the team. I always wonder if that could have pushed him to become a more "legendary" player? I think it is difficult to push to that level if you already have a player of that status in the same team, they say that is why Neymar left Barcelona. Sadly for him, he decided to follow the money and go to a league that really isn't taken all that seriously from a football perspective.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, although Newcastle FC is a big club in the UK, it was never likely to be considered one of the so-called top 6 clubs. That phrase is meaningless in many ways, but it probably means Newcastle is not a major global brand. Chelsea is. They have won Premier League titles and featured heavily at the final stages of the Champions League. So, the money that generates is probably monumental compared to Newcastle, just in terms of sponsorship.

Chelsea's location in London should probably not be underestimated either.

Newcastle may well have been a very good deal as well? It may not have the global brand, but the owners bought a Premier League club and they have a lot of flexibility to try and grow the club. So, I think that would be quite an exciting buy for them, especially as it is essentially a one club city, and thus most of the city of Newcastle will be behind them.

I thought Newcastle ousted Everton out of the "big 5" in the Keegan years? ;)

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well we dont own our stadium yet our owners believe we are worth more than Newcastle

It's like they paid very little for the club, used the sale of Upton park to clear the debts . Got given a stadium for free yet somehow they believe the club's worth 350 million? It's just insane

Newcastle don’t own their ground, last I heard the freehold was owned by the City Council. However things may have changed.
That said I agree with Lord Tyrion, it looks a steal in comparison and things are looking rosie at The Toon. ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
But

1) Chelsea are recently successful and have CL money coming in too
2) Globally better known and more marketable
3) Can place top 4 without significant investment needed in the playing squad.

City have spent roughly 2 billion so far just trying to become relevant, and they've done well doing so. (https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/how-much-manchester-city-spent-squad-value-transfer-fee-players/qejkb6nmxowbvkn1r4auh9r8#:~:text=How much money have Manchester,the club back in 2008.)

Newcastle will cost more in todays money I imagine to develop a playing squad and infrastructure to compete at the highest level.

Why not invest it all in one go, buy something ready made to compete at all levels - and then wait for the money to come in?

Just caught up with the topic. Both you and LT make Valid points. Personally I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. Buying someone like Chelsea ticks all the boxes. Support, History, trophies, etc etc.
Then compare that to Newcastle. This for me is where it gets interesting. I am not a believer in the theory that football started when the premier league did. It goes back to the late 1800’s. Since that time clubs have come and gone. Going back to the 70’s when I started really following football as a kid, teams like Chelsea, Newcastle, City, Liverpool, Utd, Everton, Sheff Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and a dozen other clubs were as big as one another. All have history. Some of it tragic. But it just seemed that there was more equality. The Premier league came and along with that money and a divide.
Newcastle want to get to the top table like City Did back in 2008. My fear is it may be harder with the constraints of FFP. Which quite frankly is about as useless as VAR. I hope Newcastle do find a level playing field at the top table. There seems to be 6 or 7 teams battling to avoid relegation, same amount for the mid table, 3 or 4 for the 4th spot and the title somewhat predictable over the last few years. If Newcastle break Into that top four like spurs and Leicester then fantastic.
Re City investing in there team, it goes a lot lot deeper than that. The academy is doing fantastic, apart from City winning the Prem, Prem league division 2. They also won under 16’s, 17,s and 18,s Prem league. They are developing players that very well may not play for the first team but will have careers in football.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
But that much? I go back to Newcastle, as it is the most recent. £305m for a PL team with a stadium already built and needing minimal money spending on it. Chelsea have moved the decimal point and added another 1/3. Southampton sold for about £100m this year.

They will have to be making whopping amounts to pay back banks, investors etc on that scale.

So, Soton = Grealish?

;)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Just caught up with the topic. Both you and LT make Valid points. Personally I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer. Buying someone like Chelsea ticks all the boxes. Support, History, trophies, etc etc.
Then compare that to Newcastle. This for me is where it gets interesting. I am not a believer in the theory that football started when the premier league did. It goes back to the late 1800’s. Since that time clubs have come and gone. Going back to the 70’s when I started really following football as a kid, teams like Chelsea, Newcastle, City, Liverpool, Utd, Everton, Sheff Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and a dozen other clubs were as big as one another. All have history. Some of it tragic. But it just seemed that there was more equality. The Premier league came and along with that money and a divide.
Newcastle want to get to the top table like City Did back in 2008. My fear is it may be harder with the constraints of FFP. Which quite frankly is about as useless as VAR. I hope Newcastle do find a level playing field at the top table. There seems to be 6 or 7 teams battling to avoid relegation, same amount for the mid table, 3 or 4 for the 4th spot and the title somewhat predictable over the last few years. If Newcastle break Into that top four like spurs and Leicester then fantastic.
Re City investing in there team, it goes a lot lot deeper than that. The academy is doing fantastic, apart from City winning the Prem, Prem league division 2. They also won under 16’s, 17,s and 18,s Prem league. They are developing players that very well may not play for the first team but will have careers in football.

Ive no issue with Citys investment (mostly). City is a great example of what model Newcastle will have to follow to achieve success. I think that if City were sold now, they'd be priced around the same as Chelsea are, thats the going price for a club that is ready to challenge at the highest levels in every competition.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That woud be an interesting question, starting with the lowest club in league football and workng up, how many clubs could you buy for the price of Grealish. Or, as an altentative, working in the same direction, how many clubs could be made debt free and financially stable for that money.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That woud be an interesting question, starting with the lowest club in league football and workng up, how many clubs could you buy for the price of Grealish. Or, as an altentative, working in the same direction, how many clubs could be made debt free and financially stable for that money.

Its actually pretty sickening to consider isnt it. One hundred million pounds for one dude... who then doesnt actually even make the best XI :ROFLMAO:

Hes done well out of it though, now the face of Gucci! Hes very much the Beckham of the modern era.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its actually pretty sickening to consider isnt it. One hundred million pounds for one dude... who then doesnt actually even make the best XI :ROFLMAO:

Hes done well out of it though, now the face of Gucci! Hes very much the Beckham of the modern era.

There's been so much extra money in football in recent years, the only beneficiaries of this seem to be players and agents as far as I can tell.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's been so much extra money in football in recent years, the only beneficiaries of this seem to be players and agents as far as I can tell.

Whilst I know that there is no obligation in any way for them to help out, and maybe even a slight feeling that they shoudl not as it only encourages bad practice, but it is horrible to watch long established and historic or just good community clubs go under for the sake of amounts that most Premier League clubs could find down the back of the sofa.