The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pipping West Ham to 6th by losing less badly ..... what a fitting end to the season. Europe league here we come !!!!!!!

Congrats to City. As a NEUTRAL (that's right some utd fans hate City as much as Liverpool) it was an exciting finish to the season and a good watch.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
God that was painful. I said a few months back City were stuttering. Last week v West Ham and yesterday showed that. My nerves were shot. Hope the neutrals liked the title race. Bad luck Liverpool, but good luck in the champs league final. Just hope they have the legs for one last Hurrah.
Re fans on the pitch. Am glad the season is done. It gives the leagues time to sort out what should be done about people on the pitch. Aside from banning fans and playing games behind closed doors. It will be interesting to see what they do.

D

Deleted member 1147

Was he?
Looked to me like someone said something to him while patting him on the back, then the bloody steward fell over someone ?
From the video I've seen it looked like he got clocked, and according to the new he was too

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Boubacar Kamara announced

Gerrard said he wanted his business done early - well he's not hanging around!

CB and a forward player next please!

D

Deleted member 15344

Congrats to City

Heck of season , was always an uphill battle from Jan but we got close with some stunning football this year but fell just short again - Villa teased the situation a little

Both domestic cups and second is a success this season and hopefully round it off with big ears on Saturday

Last couple of weeks from some teams has been a bit mental

Chelsea - the ownership situation seemed to have an affect on the field but losing some big players in the summer and no idea what their new owner will do

Spurs - said months ago that Utd should have got Conte when he was free and they will regret that , he will do ok at Spurs and maybe get a cup but still miles away from the top three

Arsenal - just blew it , some great youngsters , but a lack of steel and experience cost them - Arteta really needs a big move forward next year

West Ham - was a great season for them , and Moyes should keep them as a solid top 8 team - Rice should have won Young POTY

Man Utd - Ten Hag has a hell of a job on his hands. I’m not sure where he can start , needs a huge overhaul of that squad but first need to get a proper DoF in

Everton - where to start , managed to squeeze out of the relegation places but the current celebrations mask a lot of issues within the club - there is a shadow hanging over them with their Covid “losses” , they can’t spend much more money and they have a squad full of sub standard players. It’s going to be another long season next year for them imo and wouldn’t surprise me to see Lampard gone by Jan ?

Some great seasons for teams like Palace and Brighton - playing really good football and also to Brentford

Burnley got what they deserved when they sacked Dyche

As for the fans going onto the pitch - needs to start with stadium bans , games behind closed doors , suspended point deductions and then points actually being deducted- that should stop them

Last edited by a moderator:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Congrats to City

Heck of season , was always an uphill battle from Jan but we got close with some stunning football this year but fell just short again - Villa teased the situation a little

Both domestic cups and second is a success this season and hopefully round it off with big ears on Saturday

Chelsea - the ownership situation seemed to have an affect on the field but losing some big players in the summer and no idea what their new owner will do

Spurs - said months ago that Utd should have got Conte when he was free and they will regret that , he will do ok at Spurs and maybe get a cup but still miles away from the top three

Arsenal - just blew it , some great youngsters , but a lack of steel and experience cost them - Arteta really needs a big move forward next year

West Ham - was a great season for them , and Moyes should keep them as a solid top 8 team - Rice should have won Young POTY

Man Utd - Ten Haag has a hell of a job on his hands. I’m not sure where he can start , needs a huge overhaul of that squad but first need to get a proper DoF in

Everton - where to start , managed to squeeze out of the relegation places but the current celebrations mask a lot of issues within the club - there is a shadow hanging over them with their Covid “losses” , they can’t spend much more money and they have a squad full of sub standard players. It’s going to be another long season next year for them imo and wouldn’t surprise me to see Lampard gone by Jan ?

Some great seasons for teams like Palace and Brighton - playing really good football and also to Brentford

Was sad to see Burnley finally drop. They've lacked serious investment which is whats required these days to maintain in the Prem and yet stayed for over 12 years, hope they bounce back!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Congrats to City

Man Utd - Ten Hag has a hell of a job on his hands. I’m not sure where he can start , needs a huge overhaul of that squad but first need to get a proper DoF in

As for the fans going onto the pitch - needs to start with stadium bans , games behind closed doors , suspended point deductions and then points actually being deducted- that should stop them

Agree with much of what you say, Phil, apart from Spurs being miles away from the top three. Since Conte’s appointment I think the stats show they are very much up there with Chelsea. The key for them now is both keeping him, and backing him in the transfer market.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Agree with much of what you say, Phil, apart from Spurs being miles away from the top three. Since Conte’s appointment I think the stats show they are very much up there with Chelsea. The key for them now is both keeping him, and backing him in the transfer market.

I agree, top 3 achieveable.

Top 2 - another level entirely!

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hopefully not yet another false dawn at spurs. Certainly looks like there’s potential to build something next season, avoiding last summer’s uncertainty will be a good start! Kane will surely be there for the long haul.
If Kane hadn't had his head turned by the City interest earlier in the season perhaps Spurs would have challenged Chelsea for third spot.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t see Spurs getting beyond 4th - they have a decent first 11 - mainly rely on the front two but the squad is very thin in regards quality.

Spurs will get a few players in ( prob need to keep Kulasevski ) but still will be fighting it out for 4th

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If Kane hadn't had his head turned by the City interest earlier in the season perhaps Spurs would have challenged Chelsea for third spot.

Perhaps, but then again maybe Nuno would still be in charge and Spurs would have finished 6th with no Conte? Too many variables to say, but without doubt, a settled summer with Conte in charge will leave them better placed for success next season that they were in August 2021.

It would be good to have more teams competing at the top of the table, not suggesting it's realistic for Spurs to compete with Man City and Liverpool for the title, but it would be great if it happened. I'm a neutral in all this so as far as I'm concerned the more competitive the league, the better!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Perhaps, but then again maybe Nuno would still be in charge and Spurs would have finished 6th with no Conte? Too many variables to say, but without doubt, a settled summer with Conte in charge will leave them better placed for success next season that they were in August 2021.

It would be good to have more teams competing at the top of the table, not suggesting it's realistic for Spurs to compete with Man City and Liverpool for the title, but it would be great if it happened. I'm a neutral in all this so as far as I'm concerned the more competitive the league, the better!

I totally agree. Of all the teams that have shocked me this season re the Prem League it is Chelsea. They got to Two finals in which they were beat on penalties. Fine margins there. But they were top of the league for 70 days and just seemed to fall off a cliff.
I agree this season has been a fantastic two horse race at the finish but I thought it would be three. Be interesting to see how next year pans out.
Ave a serious feeling that some clubs are going to have big clear outs. That aside, wonder what some folks thoughts are of this. Another angle on the table never lies.
https://content.assets.pressassocia...e030f6-f541-4943-9c7b-584561315abb.jpg?w=1251

D

Deleted member 1740

Was sad to see Burnley finally drop. They've lacked serious investment which is whats required these days to maintain in the Prem and yet stayed for over 12 years, hope they bounce back!

I wasnt. Good riddance to their thuggery and alehouse football.

I totally understand why teams play that way initially to stay in the PL but they had enough time to evolve and haven't.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasnt. Good riddance to their thuggery and alehouse football.

I totally understand why teams play that way initially to stay in the PL but they had enough time to evolve and haven't.

With the budget they had, successful evolution of style would have been very hard to achieve.

Good news is though, that their style of ultra direct football is on the way out. Not many championship sides play that way, perhaps none do at all. It's more a direct style in the same way Brentford are direct, getting forward in numbers with pace, using long throws, defending well and hitting on the break, playing into the channels. None of Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest / Huddersfield will be relying on punting it up field and hoping to win the second ball.

D

Deleted member 1740

With the budget they had, successful evolution of style would have been very hard to achieve.

Good news is though, that their style of ultra direct football is on the way out. Not many championship sides play that way, perhaps none do at all. It's more a direct style in the same way Brentford are direct, getting forward in numbers with pace, using long throws, defending well and hitting on the break, playing into the channels. None of Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest / Huddersfield will be relying on punting it up field and hoping to win the second ball.

I disagree. See how much Palace have improved under Viera after spending relatively little money, It can be done.

Palace for me have been the most improved side i've seen live and on the box this season. The transformation from Hodgson's dirge he served up is impressive.

Hope Huddersfield come up.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I disagree. See how much Palace have improved under Viera after spending relatively little money, It can be done.

Palace for me have been the most improved side i've seen live and on the box this season. The transformation from Hodgson's dirge he served up is impressive.

Hope Huddersfield come up.

I thought you might disagree. But it's your prerogative, it doesn't matter if our views are different. I'm coming at it from the perspective of a supporter of a struggling side, with no cash to spend (not meaningful cash anyway), and Palace's transfer spend is a lot more than we could ever dream of.

I'm not sure Palace is a fair comparison though, for two reasons:

1. They played conservative football under hodgson, but their players were good enough to play a different style, Burnley's I'm not so sure are. But I might be wrong about Palace, would need one of the resident supporters to give a view. Agree fully Vieira has done a great job, but not so sure that's comparable to Burnley changing their style.
2. Palace spent over £75m this summer. Burnley have spent about the same amount over 4 seasons on a gross basis, and on a net basis, 7 seasons.

EDITED: to make sure Stuart didn't think I was being rude, which I wasn't meaning to be but wasn't sure it was across as I intended.

Last edited: