The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

The vicious circle of the Telly money that was created when the clubs left the Football League to create the Prem

The income is around £70-100mil from the Prem and all clubs need that money to pay the wages of the players that know the money is there

take away rhw sky money and the clubs will need to find other ways to bring in money - ticket prices ? Merchandise etc - it would be a big financial hole to fill
The fans at the stadium and on the sofa want to see their club play the best football and have the best players - the Prem has many of them because of the Sky money.

And I don’t think it’s going to change - Sky when they change dates etc they look at the worldwide Telly viewer - early kick offs for the Far and Middle East and late kick offs for the USA etc - those areas have paid billions to broadcast the games. The fan walking into the stadium doesn’t get a thought and the clubs don’t have the power to push it back because they know they need the Sky money

All this started with the Prem and Telly deals and then the CL changes and their Telly deals etc

Fans want the best players - but that requires money to pay for those players. Never ending vicious circle and how the Premier League is a worldwide league now

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not until he penned a new deal stating that he was happy, brought into the project and wanted to bring villa back into europe.

I begrudge someone for lying to a fan base. That is all.

Come out and tell the fans you want to leave - like Kane did. Dont sit in the shadows afraid of the backlash from fans. Own your decision.

Classless from the captain of our club at the time.
So he should have said "I'm signing a new contract just so that there's a decent release clause in there and Villa get a hefty fee when I leave." How would that have gone down? I think it's a no-win situation sometimes. Like booking an afternoon off to go to a job interview and your boss asks you what you're getting up to - you're not going to tell the truth are you?? :LOL:

I suppose it's understandable to feel a little hurt though. I personally choose to remember that there's no loyalty in football though, players are just individuals looking to make their money and do the best they can before retiring and that's it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with @Bdill93 on this. It isn't the going that is the problem, it is the guff they pedal beforehand that riles. Be honest, be upfront and fans will respect you, unless you move to Utd (Arsenal for you I guess) at which point you will get abuse every time you visit ;). Kiss the badge, tell everyone you are there for life and then jump ship the next week, that annoys fans.
You say that but if a player openly says they don't want to be there anymore that annoys the fans as well. Can't win really.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
You think that'll stop me? Kids got 2 kits already...

I dont think youre quite grasping the commitment levels here :ROFLMAO:

Fair play to you, I used to be home and (most) away for about 20 years mainly in the 2nd div and it was great but when marriage and the kids came along it got cut back to just home. West ham used to be the most important thing in my life. Now its just the most important out of the not important things in my life.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You say that but if a player openly says they don't want to be there anymore that annoys the fans as well. Can't win really.
I think there are ways of doing it, most of which involve saying nothing. Come out openly and say you want to go mid season and then clearly that doesn't go down well. You keep quiet, let your agent deal with the club, work hard, you get your move. No one minds. Dodge the questions about long term commitment etc, talk about ambition, winning trophies etc. People can read into that, they accept it.

Declare undying love for the club, fans, area, declare you want to finish your career at the club and then move next week? People see the previous statements for what they were, hollow pr.

I don't blame any player moving for more money, to win trophies, to play in a better team. Just don't try to blatantly con your fans. For them it is personal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there are ways of doing it, most of which involve saying nothing. Come out openly and say you want to go mid season and then clearly that doesn't go down well. You keep quiet, let your agent deal with the club, work hard, you get your move. No one minds. Dodge the questions about long term commitment etc, talk about ambition, winning trophies etc. People can read into that, they accept it.

Declare undying love for the club, fans, area, declare you want to finish your career at the club and then move next week? People see the previous statements for what they were, hollow pr.

I don't blame any player moving for more money, to win trophies, to play in a better team. Just don't try to blatantly con your fans. For them it is personal.
This is the thing though, with the media traps they always get forced into saying something. I'd rather take any statement with a pinch of salt than be all "OMG YOU SAID YOU WOULD LOVE US FOREVA"

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The vicious circle of the Telly money that was created when the clubs left the Football League to create the Prem

The income is around £70-100mil from the Prem and all clubs need that money to pay the wages of the players that know the money is there

take away rhw sky money and the clubs will need to find other ways to bring in money - ticket prices ? Merchandise etc - it would be a big financial hole to fill
The fans at the stadium and on the sofa want to see their club play the best football and have the best players - the Prem has many of them because of the Sky money.

And I don’t think it’s going to change - Sky when they change dates etc they look at the worldwide Telly viewer - early kick offs for the Far and Middle East and late kick offs for the USA etc - those areas have paid billions to broadcast the games. The fan walking into the stadium doesn’t get a thought and the clubs don’t have the power to push it back because they know they need the Sky money

All this started with the Prem and Telly deals and then the CL changes and their Telly deals etc

Fans want the best players - but that requires money to pay for those players. Never ending vicious circle and how the Premier League is a worldwide league now

I would be interested to see the results of a fan survey on this. Would you give up the Sky money and the star players that you have now in exchange for having a competitive domestic league and cups but little chance of getting into the group stages in Europe, lower grade facilities, no live TV matches but all matches kicked off at 3.00 Saturday etc. Would you effectively swap a lower quality product with less access to viewing matches for what would effectively be a return to what it was like 30 years ago and get rid of much of the commerciality that has taken over sport.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
So he should have said "I'm signing a new contract just so that there's a decent release clause in there and Villa get a hefty fee when I leave." How would that have gone down? I think it's a no-win situation sometimes. Like booking an afternoon off to go to a job interview and your boss asks you what you're getting up to - you're not going to tell the truth are you?? :LOL:

I suppose it's understandable to feel a little hurt though. I personally choose to remember that there's no loyalty in football though, players are just individuals looking to make their money and do the best they can before retiring and that's it.

It would have been a hammer blow. But not as harsh a blow as staying silent about the RC and telling everyone all the lies that its "My city, My club, My home".

As I said, at least Kane had the balls to tell fans how he actually felt.

D

Deleted member 16999

Until he pops out - so I dont miss his birth... Like a good dad would. :ROFLMAO:

What are you trying to achieve with this post though? Just an argument.....
Going on the emoji’s I thought we were having a bit of banter. Obviously misread it so I’ll refrain.

D

Deleted member 16999

Fair play to you, I used to be home and (most) away for about 20 years mainly in the 2nd div and it was great but when marriage and the kids came along it got cut back to just home. West ham used to be the most important thing in my life. Now its just the most important out of the not important things in my life.
This is probably the way it is for a lot blokes when they were young until marriage and kids came along, like Bdill93 my lad had kits before he was born and I dreamt of the father/son going the match as I had with my Dad.

Unfortunately the school he went to down south, were I was based, was a Rugby school and when moving up here we ended up as ST holders at Newcastle Falcons for 5 years as that was the sport he loved.:eek:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is probably the way it is for a lot blokes when they were young until marriage and kids came along, like Bdill93 my lad had kits before he was born and I dreamt of the father/son going the match as I had with my Dad.

Unfortunately the school he went to down south, were I was based, was a Rugby school and when moving up here we ended up as ST holders at Newcastle Falcons for 5 years as that was the sport he loved.:eek:
I don't have kids yet, but I often think about this. I've already stopped going to Spurs games myself as it's too expensive and takes up a whole Saturday with getting the tube across London etc. When I have a child I will want to take him/her to a football game at some point, but I have to admit it would be a lot easier to do this at Watford since it would be cheaper and the ground is only two stations away on the Overground. But I'm a Spurs fan because my dad is a Spurs fan, so it would be nice to carry that on. It's a conundrum really. Probably stick with Spurs and just go to one game a season. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 16999

I don't have kids yet, but I often think about this. I've already stopped going to Spurs games myself as it's too expensive and takes up a whole Saturday with getting the tube across London etc. When I have a child I will want to take him/her to a football game at some point, but I have to admit it would be a lot easier to do this at Watford since it would be cheaper and the ground is only two stations away on the Overground. But I'm a Spurs fan because my dad is a Spurs fan, so it would be nice to carry that on. It's a conundrum really. Probably stick with Spurs and just go to one game a season. :LOL:
Then Uni came along and all sport interest was lost to females and computers.o_O

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

RUGBY :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 16999

If I had a son who said he followed rugby rather than football I'd just have to hold my hands up and say you're on your own. Don't know the first thing about it, nor do I have any interest.
Nah, when it’s your kid you go where ever they need you to!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I had a son who said he followed rugby rather than football I'd just have to hold my hands up and say you're on your own. Don't know the first thing about it, nor do I have any interest.

Took my nephew to many Tigers matches when he was growing up in the same way that my dad took me to Tigers games when my brother and I were kids. Used to be a great family day on boxing day when the Tigers played the Barbarians each year. Kids everywhere, families sharing packed lunches, soup and plenty of hip flasks going around. Loved it. What was great wat that when my brother bought his season ticket, his son got a free one up to the age of 9. That helped produce the next generation of season ticket holders.

Swango1980

Visit site
I would be interested to see the results of a fan survey on this. Would you give up the Sky money and the star players that you have now in exchange for having a competitive domestic league and cups but little chance of getting into the group stages in Europe, lower grade facilities, no live TV matches but all matches kicked off at 3.00 Saturday etc. Would you effectively swap a lower quality product with less access to viewing matches for what would effectively be a return to what it was like 30 years ago and get rid of much of the commerciality that has taken over sport.
Not a chance, football is much better now than it was years ago for me. As I grew up as a kid in the 90's, my only chance to watch the football was Match of the Day (in which my club was involved), although I loved Football Italia or the odd international game, or the FA Cup as I got to see live football.

OK, the expansion of broadcasting has had some negative side effects, such as diluting the impact of the FA Cup. However, I would not swap it for going back in time. Personally, I look forward to the weekends, where I get to play golf on a Saturday morning, then get back home to watch lunch time kick off, Soccer Saturday and then the evening kick off. Sundays pretty much the same. Football has become a bigger part of my life, whereas had it stayed the same as it was in the 90's, I'd generally only have Match of the Day (and it would be true to say I would have much less exposure to my club compared to a match going fan). I'm sure it was even worse going back before the 90's.

It is probably only some match going fans that broadcasting negatively effects, because they do not consistently get 3pm kick offs on a Saturday. However, they are probably a very very small percentage of a fan base, especially at clubs in which get a lot of TV coverage. However, TV will also have its benefits even for them, as they get to watch their team if they cannot make a game. And, not to mention the money it helps generate.

Mind you, I would still like to see the odd game on an atrocious pitch where the ball can bounce over Tim Flowers head. Yes, I know it is actually better we do not have those days, but it was funny to watch players sliding all over the place, and the odd cheeky headbutt or slap from Vinnie Jones :)