The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
:love: WEDNESDAY NIGHT LIGHTS AT VILLA PARK :love:

The return of the greasey haired snake - albeit he is injured (shock) but he could make an appearance.

UP THE F-IN VILLA

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Maybe your attitude sums up fans living in the past?

If Sunderland are going to play away at Southampton, there is going to be a long trip ahead. Now some travelling fans may despise an early start (if it was a 12:30 kick off). Others might prefer it, as they prefer to travel early and get home at a semi reasonable time. Every fan will be different. However, if you are a fan that is committed to going to those games, don't moan about the logistics in getting there. I'd be more sympathetic if all your arrangements had been made, and then the fixture kick off / date was changed at the last minute. I certainly would back up your frustrations on that particular point.

I'm sure the calendar is not absolutely perfect in terms of every fixture being played at the ideal time, but it is not every week that a club is in Europe on a Wednesday and has a noon kick off on a Saturday. It happens, yes, especially to the big clubs, but it is not every week. And, if the fixture is moved because of TV, if it is such a hardship, watch it on TV that week. Nobody will think less of you.

Yes, Sky are selfish and are in it to make money. That is what businesses do. However, to do so they need to have a strong relationship with clubs and fans. They do so by giving clubs lots of money, and televising games for fans to watch (of which there will be many more than attend the game itself, again for the big clubs at least).

It is your attitude which scares me when people say it could be a good idea if fans were to take over clubs. What would season ticket holders at clubs like Liverpool, City, Chelsea, etc do? Veto 12pm kick offs, even if the games can no longer be televised? Would they accept a severe loss in revenue? Would they be happy to tell the millions of die hard fans of their clubs, those that invest in Sky or go to the pub, that "sorry, the game will not be on this week because travelling fans do not want to get up early to get to the game"? But, it is match going fans who know what is best, so certainly my opinion should be in no way respected.

PS: As I said before, I have full respect for the commitment of match going fans. I'd like to think most just get on with it, and enjoy their hobby. Perhaps they'll have the odd grumble when they've a long trip, unsuitable kick off time or go to a ground that is more inaccessible than many others. But, that is just part and parcel of football these days. We are not going back to the dark ages where every match is at 3pm on a Saturday, and the only chance non match goers will ever get to see their team is for a few minutes on Match of the Day.

This is pretty much me and the boys I go with.

Im also not one to spout off about good fans or bad fans - I think you're either a fan, a ST holder or the home and away idiot. I fall into cat 3, I live and breathe AVFC, it is part of my life and always will be. The wife knows it, the parents know it, my in laws know it. I choose Villa over everything else. Boxing day with the fam? Nah.. AVFC are playing in Burnley.....

There are only around 2500 fans per team like it*, thats it. To be one of the few, to me, is everything. It simply cannot be done by all.

I respect all the opinions on this forum, Phil knows far more about liverpool than I would - so why not?

Only thing I dont like is "its too hard to make a game" mentality. No it isnt, not if you really want to go.

*Often away criteria allows 2000-3500 in prem.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe your attitude sums up fans living in the past?

If Sunderland are going to play away at Southampton, there is going to be a long trip ahead. Now some travelling fans may despise an early start (if it was a 12:30 kick off). Others might prefer it, as they prefer to travel early and get home at a semi reasonable time. Every fan will be different. However, if you are a fan that is committed to going to those games, don't moan about the logistics in getting there. I'd be more sympathetic if all your arrangements had been made, and then the fixture kick off / date was changed at the last minute. I certainly would back up your frustrations on that particular point.

I'm sure the calendar is not absolutely perfect in terms of every fixture being played at the ideal time, but it is not every week that a club is in Europe on a Wednesday and has a noon kick off on a Saturday. It happens, yes, especially to the big clubs, but it is not every week. And, if the fixture is moved because of TV, if it is such a hardship, watch it on TV that week. Nobody will think less of you.

Yes, Sky are selfish and are in it to make money. That is what businesses do. However, to do so they need to have a strong relationship with clubs and fans. They do so by giving clubs lots of money, and televising games for fans to watch (of which there will be many more than attend the game itself, again for the big clubs at least).

It is your attitude which scares me when people say it could be a good idea if fans were to take over clubs. What would season ticket holders at clubs like Liverpool, City, Chelsea, etc do? Veto 12pm kick offs, even if the games can no longer be televised? Would they accept a severe loss in revenue? Would they be happy to tell the millions of die hard fans of their clubs, those that invest in Sky or go to the pub, that "sorry, the game will not be on this week because travelling fans do not want to get up early to get to the game"? But, it is match going fans who know what is best, so certainly my opinion should be in no way respected.

PS: As I said before, I have full respect for the commitment of match going fans. I'd like to think most just get on with it, and enjoy their hobby. Perhaps they'll have the odd grumble when they've a long trip, unsuitable kick off time or go to a ground that is more inaccessible than many others. But, that is just part and parcel of football these days. We are not going back to the dark ages where every match is at 3pm on a Saturday, and the only chance non match goers will ever get to see their team is for a few minutes on Match of the Day.

A club plays 38 games a season, its easy to put into a computer certain variables like no 150 mile+ journeys for boxing day and new year, and other things. If Newcastle played Soton its going to be a long day no matter what, but put it at 3pm Saturday or 2pm Sunday, as there are 9 other matches that can be televised that weekend.

D

Deleted member 16999

Im also not one to spout off about good fans or bad fans - I think you're either a fan, a ST holder or the home and away idiot. I fall into cat 3, I live and breathe AVFC, it is part of my life and always will be. The wife knows it, the parents know it, my in laws know it. I choose Villa over everything else. Boxing day with the fam? Nah.. AVFC are playing in Burnley.....

There are only around 2500 fans per team like it*, thats it. To be one of the few, to me, is everything. It simply cannot be done by all.

I respect all the opinions on this forum, Phil knows far more about liverpool than I would - so why not?

Only thing I dont like is "its too hard to make a game" mentality. No it isnt, not if you really want to go.

The best thing in your life is about to happen to you, good luck with this attitude once the baby’s here.?

Swango1980

Visit site

I guess so. Unless you need to book flights (say, you live in N Ireland, China, etc). Or, you have kids that have commitments you need to take them to on game days. I live in Lincolnshire, so it is not impossible for me to get to Manchester United games, but it would be 3 hour trip to home games, and probably just as much, if not longer, to away games (not many / any Premier League clubs locally). It can still be done, if tickets are available, but it is a much bigger commitment for me than it is to someone who lives in, or near Manchester. Also a bigger drain on my finances. I could probably stand it, but many struggle enough financially that going to games may be a stretch too far for them?

For me, as I said before, I am lucky. I support one of the biggest clubs in the world, thus I get to see virtually every game live on TV. I get to see how bad the players are week in, week out. I get to see how Ole looked completely out of ideas and was a mute during the game. I get to see how Ronaldo has almost single handed brought joy to fans in an otherwise abysmal season. How the likes of Greenwood and Rashford have stalled in the last season or two, etc. I don't need to be sitting in the stadium to see how bad Utd have been. I also don't need to have sat in the stadium to see how good City and Liverpool have been. However, I know my heart goes into analysing everything Utd, so I'd respect a Liverpool fan who watches their own team on TV will have more in depth knowledge of Liverpool, as they will naturally analyse their own team much more than I would.

I appreciate, for a Villa fan, it may be different. I don't know how often they play on TV, and how often they are 3pm on a Saturday. So, unless you go to the games, you may get much less exposure to watching your side from home than I get watching my team. And, if you were a Lincoln, Fleetwood or Forest Green fan, you essentially have to go to games to have any idea about how your team play.

Swango1980

Visit site
A club plays 38 games a season, its easy to put into a computer certain variables like no 150 mile+ journeys for boxing day and new year, and other things. If Newcastle played Soton its going to be a long day no matter what, but put it at 3pm Saturday or 2pm Sunday, as there are 9 other matches that can be televised that weekend.
OK, but if it was that simple, why is it not done?

That is a genuine question, I do not know the answer. I am pretty sure Sky do not dictate fixtures simply to annoy fans. So, if it was that easy, surely they would just do that. I assume they have specific criteria they must meet, such as the minimum amount of games each club has to be shown on TV. Perhaps the Premier League themselves have a responsibility? For example, do they draw the original fixture list and then Sky need to work around that?

D

Deleted member 16999

You think that'll stop me? Kids got 2 kits already...

I dont think youre quite grasping the commitment levels here :ROFLMAO:
Is this like in the summer when you said “Jack’s going nowhere”? ??
Or last week when you said Palace was your last away game for a while???

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, but if it was that simple, why is it not done?

That is a genuine question, I do not know the answer. I am pretty sure Sky do not dictate fixtures simply to annoy fans. So, if it was that easy, surely they would just do that. I assume they have specific criteria they must meet, such as the minimum amount of games each club has to be shown on TV. Perhaps the Premier League themselves have a responsibility? For example, do they draw the original fixture list and then Sky need to work around that?

From what I understand, the bigger the club, the more likely to you are to get messed around with kick off times for TV. it is all down to advertising. Globally more people will watch a Manchester United game than a Burnley game as so advertising during the breaks is more attractivce and is sold at a premium price. On that basis, Sky would ideally show more Manchester United matches than other teams. I am sure that there is an obligation to show a minimum number of games for each team but your Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Man United games are going to be on more because they create more advertising revenue. As such, Sky will shoehorn those matches into whatever timeslot they can get and why they get the awkward kick off times.

What I have never understood is why Boxing day and New Year fixtures are not dedicated to being local derbys. Promote and market it as this and I am sure it will be popular. Each club plays the nearest 2 clubs ot them over those 2 matches or even do the home and away fixtures back to back.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I guess so. Unless you need to book flights (say, you live in N Ireland, China, etc). Or, you have kids that have commitments you need to take them to on game days. I live in Lincolnshire, so it is not impossible for me to get to Manchester United games, but it would be 3 hour trip to home games, and probably just as much, if not longer, to away games (not many / any Premier League clubs locally). It can still be done, if tickets are available, but it is a much bigger commitment for me than it is to someone who lives in, or near Manchester. Also a bigger drain on my finances. I could probably stand it, but many struggle enough financially that going to games may be a stretch too far for them?

For me, as I said before, I am lucky. I support one of the biggest clubs in the world, thus I get to see virtually every game live on TV. I get to see how bad the players are week in, week out. I get to see how Ole looked completely out of ideas and was a mute during the game. I get to see how Ronaldo has almost single handed brought joy to fans in an otherwise abysmal season. How the likes of Greenwood and Rashford have stalled in the last season or two, etc. I don't need to be sitting in the stadium to see how bad Utd have been. I also don't need to have sat in the stadium to see how good City and Liverpool have been. However, I know my heart goes into analysing everything Utd, so I'd respect a Liverpool fan who watches their own team on TV will have more in depth knowledge of Liverpool, as they will naturally analyse their own team much more than I would.

I appreciate, for a Villa fan, it may be different. I don't know how often they play on TV, and how often they are 3pm on a Saturday. So, unless you go to the games, you may get much less exposure to watching your side from home than I get watching my team. And, if you were a Lincoln, Fleetwood or Forest Green fan, you essentially have to go to games to have any idea about how your team play.

Yeah if you're abroad it may be harder to follow your team :ROFLMAO:

Its not like it doesnt drain my finances every month - the average away day with ticket, transport and everything thrown in is an easy £70. Ive had months so far this season where ive had to buy 4 away tickets... £120. It really isnt easy. As I said yesterday, guy next to me at Villa Park drives from Carlisle to every home game. So people do it over longer distances than I do too. Its a personal thing - I just cant not be there for my club. To me the match day is about singing loud and proud, the limbs, visiting new grounds. I love every second of it.

Im really not trying to continue this debate either - just thought id share my view on it all. I appreciate all fans are different and as said before, respect everyones opinions on their own team.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Is this like in the summer when you said “Jack’s going nowhere”? ??
Or last week when you said Palace was your last away game for a while???

Until he pops out - so I dont miss his birth... Like a good dad would. :ROFLMAO:

What are you trying to achieve with this post though? Just an argument.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
"My City, My Club, My Home"

My release clause!
I just don't understand when fans are bitter about their top players moving onto bigger and better things, especially when they fetch a huge free in the process. Did you actually think he would potter around playing for Villa forever? :LOL: When Kane leaves us for City or whoever I won't begrudge him it, he's given us plenty of good years and deserves to go and win something. Not going to moan about how he said he was Spurs through and through or whatever. How silly. (Not just having a go at you, in fact I think the majority of fans think the same as you I just think it's illogical.)

Swango1980

Visit site
From what I understand, the bigger the club, the more likely to you are to get messed around with kick off times for TV. it is all down to advertising. Globally more people will watch a Manchester United game than a Burnley game as so advertising during the breaks is more attractivce and is sold at a premium price. On that basis, Sky would ideally show more Manchester United matches than other teams. I am sure that there is an obligation to show a minimum number of games for each team but your Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Man United games are going to be on more because they create more advertising revenue. As such, Sky will shoehorn those matches into whatever timeslot they can get and why they get the awkward kick off times.

What I have never understood is why Boxing day and New Year fixtures are not dedicated to being local derbys. Promote and market it as this and I am sure it will be popular. Each club plays the nearest 2 clubs ot them over those 2 matches or even do the home and away fixtures back to back.
Yeah, I understand the big clubs will be moved around the most to fit a TV schedule. However, if it is Newcastle versus Southampton, why is that automatically not just a 3pm kick off on Saturday? I guess the answer is that, if that was always the case, Newcastle fans would never see their team play against Southampton, and vice versa. Even if you moved it to 2pm on a Sunday, there may well be much bigger teams that Sky want to show that weekend in that slot in that particular year?

Also, I guess it depends on the point in the season. If it was approaching the business end of the season, then perhaps there would be a bigger reason to show either or both teams on Sky, if there is more riding on that fixture.

Just doing a quick read, I understand the PL do the original draw, and have various conditions that need to be met. Apparently they also ask every club if there a team they do not want to play on Boxing Day, so I guess at least clubs can try and avoid the longest journeys on those dates. I'm not sure simply having the nearest clubs play each other on Boxing day would be a good idea for broadcasting. You'd have around 50% of the local derbys in a season taking place on one day. It is much better for TV if they are spread out throughout the season, so that each weekend you will often have at least one derby to enjoy on TV.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I just don't understand when fans are bitter about their top players moving onto bigger and better things, especially when they fetch a huge free in the process. Did you actually think he would potter around playing for Villa forever?:LOL: When Kane leaves us for City or whoever I won't begrudge him it, he's given us plenty of good years and deserves to go and win something. Not going to moan about how he said he was Spurs through and through or whatever. How silly. (Not just having a go at you, in fact I think the majority of fans think the same as you I just think it's illogical.)

Not until he penned a new deal stating that he was happy, brought into the project and wanted to bring villa back into europe.

I begrudge someone for lying to a fan base. That is all.

Come out and tell the fans you want to leave - like Kane did. Dont sit in the shadows afraid of the backlash from fans. Own your decision.

Classless from the captain of our club at the time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just don't understand when fans are bitter about their top players moving onto bigger and better things, especially when they fetch a huge free in the process. Did you actually think he would potter around playing for Villa forever? :LOL: When Kane leaves us for City or whoever I won't begrudge him it, he's given us plenty of good years and deserves to go and win something. Not going to moan about how he said he was Spurs through and through or whatever. How silly. (Not just having a go at you, in fact I think the majority of fans think the same as you I just think it's illogical.)
I'm with @Bdill93 on this. It isn't the going that is the problem, it is the guff they pedal beforehand that riles. Be honest, be upfront and fans will respect you, unless you move to Utd (Arsenal for you I guess) at which point you will get abuse every time you visit ;). Kiss the badge, tell everyone you are there for life and then jump ship the next week, that annoys fans.