The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You take an absolute lesson in possibly one of the biggest Club fixtures in the world and your 2 main thoughts upon reflection are slag off your manager, who has possibly over achieved and then hang the words of 2 ex-players.:rolleyes:

Isn’t this attitude part of the Man Utd problem? Who cares what ex-players think? How about highlighting the fact the 11 players on the pitch couldn’t string 2 passes together, failed to pick up the opposition and got dragged about like rag dolls.

For all the coaching in the world I’d expect any international footballer to be able to read the game or recognise when an opposition player is in acres of space and needs to be stopped, yes it can happen once or twice, but time and time again…

Plus, you are not going to be at the level of City, Lpool or Chelsea at the moment and maybe not for 2-3yrs even if you sack Ole.

I get you maybe embarrassed by your Club, but pointing it in the direction of one man and hanging on the words of ex-pros who haven’t achieved anything like Ole has as a manager is quite bewildering.

100% behind this post.
It absolutely shocks me the way some fans turn on people,people that have actually achieved something.
Ole is a Manchester Utd legend and always will be,he gave us one of the greatest moments in our history and now because we’ve lost a few games he personally getting slaughtered ( I would be ashamed of myself if I thought that way.

He’s unfortunately not the man for the job and I believe his time will come to an end.

I’m 100% with Paul (as an Ex player Stu :) I always gave 100% effort,these players as Roy Keane 2 years ago said “they will throw Ole under the bus”.

They should be ashamed of their performance and efforts,strolling around whilst Liverpool players were sprinting around.
Yes that comes from the manager but also must come from within.
Attitude is everything in football and some players at Utd are shocking.
Time to see what Sancho,VDB and Cavani now have to offer,although I believe Cavani has been unlucky and really don’t expect much from the other 2 especially VDB.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ole is a Championship manager and it's beyond embarrassing he's still there. If he had any self respect he'd resign. Except he doesn't and is waiting for a big payday. Grinning all the way to the bank, proper club legend.

Absolute joke of a post

The fans are absolute mugs to put up with it.

Swango1980

Visit site
All United had to do in the summer was not spend all that money on a bench warmer and put htat effort into finding a holding Midfielder. You can't have 4 forwards that are not going ot chase back with 2 midfielders behind them that are not going ot stsay back. They needed a top class DM to hold the team together and help them get hte ball back.
I agree that they should have focused on strengthening that position. However, it is not "all they had to do". Even if Utd had the best holding midfielder of all time, that would not be the magic black box that would solve all their problems and bring them into contention for the title.

The players that United DO have in the squad certainly, individually, possess more talent than the players at other clubs in the Premier League / lower leagues (note, I do not say ALL clubs). That is why many of them are at the club, and been brought in for a lot of money. However, virtually every club in the PL are defensively better than Utd as a team. Not by a little, by miles. They are generally lesser players individually, but tactically they are light years ahead.

D

Deleted member 1740

All United had to do in the summer was not spend all that money on a bench warmer and put htat effort into finding a holding Midfielder. You can't have 4 forwards that are not going ot chase back with 2 midfielders behind them that are not going ot stsay back. They needed a top class DM to hold the team together and help them get hte ball back.

If you think their problems are because of the lack of a holding midfielder you're deluded. Their problems run deeper than 1 player in 1 position.

Henderson proves you don't need to be world class to run a midfield. He bossed that game yesterday.

They're tactically niave. He's got them playing a style of football that doesn't work.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

I was glad you needlessly bought Sancho instead of going for Rice for £80M. I think he would have fixed a lot of your problems.

Swango1980

Visit site
If you think their problems are because of the lack of a holding midfielder you're deluded. Their problems run deeper than 1 player in 1 position.

Henderson proves you don't need to be world class to run a midfield. He bossed that game yesterday.

They're tactically niave. He's got them playing a style of football that doesn't work.
I agree, but I think you are being generous with that last sentence. I don't think he has got them playing any style whatsoever, let alone one that doesn't work. I think his team talk is something like:

"David, try and save as many shots as you can. Harry and Victor, try and get the ball when the opponents are attacking by making tackles and winning headers. Luke and Aaron, run up and down those wings and put crosses in, but try and defend as well when you need to. Scott and Fred, run about the middle of the park and make tackles. Bruno, play killer passes and maybe score if you can. Marcus, Mason and Christiano, make runs up front and try and score. Now, come on lads (as he claps his hands) lets do this. UNITED!"

The players then go out, and concede 1...2.....3......4........5 goals. Ole sits there looking confused, thinking "how on earth is this going so wrong, I told them to try and defend and to score goals, this is the opposite of what I told them". Meanwhile the players are running about the pitch like headless chickens, looking for a plan B, and are completely demoralised as the manager is hiding behind a wall.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I won’t say again what Swango has very eloquently written, other than to say it is obvious to anyone watching that the players, especially the back four, are clearly mired in confusion. They don’t know whether to stick or twist. And that is a direct result of the coaching.

I agree there will always be an element of players sorting issues during a game themselves, but the same failings have been evident for an eternity. That can only be down to a lack of direction from the coaching staff.

Don’t know if you saw the post match interview with Ole. He was asked whether or not he felt he’d got the tactics of a high press wrong. Not sure if he was dodging the question but he gave the impression he didn’t know, and “they would have to look at it.”

Sorry but a manager needs to recognise the need for tactical changes during the match, not when watching the video the day after. He’s just ruddy clueless.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Don’t know if you saw the post match interview with Ole. He was asked whether or not he felt he’d got the tactics of a high press wrong. Not sure if he was dodging the question but he gave the impression he didn’t know, and “they would have to look at it.”

Sorry but a manager needs to recognise the need for tactical changes during the match, not when watching the video the day after. He’s just ruddy clueless.

I get that not every manager wants to discuss tactics with interviewers or journalists. Some clearly don’t trust them so give as little away as possible, Alex Ferguson being a prime example.

But there’s a difference between being guarded and simply not having the answers to give. Solskjaer’s interviews are totally superficial, and have been since day one. At first I thought it may be he was just uncomfortable with the media, but as time has gone on, and things haven’t changed, I genuinely now believe the reason for the superficial responses is now very clear, because we see it on the pitch.

The answers are beyond his capabilities.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

he's suffering from arse and elbow syndrome

D

Deleted member 16999

I was glad you needlessly bought Sancho instead of going for Rice for £80M. I think he would have fixed a lot of your problems.
Except it wouldn’t of solved anything, as apparently, as soon as Utd players cross the white line they lose all ability to think for themselves, whilst rigidly carrying out Ole’s orders.;)

Billysboots

Visit site
Except it wouldn’t of solved anything, as apparently, as soon as Utd players cross the white line they lose all ability to think for themselves, whilst rigidly carrying out Ole’s orders.;)

I know you’re teasing ?, but I’ll reply anyway!

Jadon Sancho was a star in Germany, his stats being off the charts. Early days, but he’s not even been bang average at United so far. Donny Van de Beek, an integral part of a fantastic young Ajax side and a regular in the Dutch squad. Can’t get a kick. Aaron Wan-Bisakka a right back with huge potential and being touted as an England regular for years to come whilst at Palace, now distinctly average a lot of the time, frequently caught out of position. And Harry Maguire. A rock in an England shirt. Fantastic at Leicester, so much so that United were happy to pay whatever it took to get him. Described in an article this morning as “awful…..a better player when he was at Hull”.

The common denominator? The manager and coaching staff now looking after them. Devoid of confidence, utterly confused in everything they do and (those who actually play, anyway) making basic errors again and again.

These are not bad players. They simply aren’t being coached properly.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What makes me chuckle was the suggestion Maureen would do a lot better. the first season Maureen and Pep went head to head in the Prem there nothing to choose between the squads. I said to my lad “ Pep inspires and coaches players, Maureen leaves player out to dry”. What happened. Would pep, Klopp, Tuchel, poch improve Utd. Would Olé improve City, Liverpool , PSG, Chelsea. Not a cat in hells chance. If Utd get out of the group stages of the champs league they could be on the end of a proper hiding.

Lol

Pep and Mourinho had similar squads?pull the other one.

Pep is a great coach. No doubt. But for me his legacy will always be that Barca side who had a group of generational talents. Would they have been as successful without him. Probably not, but then the Spanish team of that era did well without him being their coach.....

But since then he hasn't one a trophy that you'd not expect him too.

He banks the League Cup every year as you have more than 23 first team stars. At Bayern he arguably under achieved and has bottled the CL twice at City.

D

Deleted member 15344

For the money they spent on Sancho they could have got Ndini and been a stronger team

Billysboots

Visit site
For the money they spent on Sancho they could have got Ndini and been a stronger team

Phil, the whole point is that, regardless of who United buy, they will never play as a cohesive side under Solskjaer. He simply doesn’t know how to get the best out of the assets he has. Even having Kante there wouldn’t make much difference.

I have long been one of Fred’s fiercest critics, and I know he was bought a few months pre-Solskjaer and it may just be he isn’t suited to the Premier League, but I’d love to see how he would perform in a City side managed by Pep, or a Liverpool one with Klopp in charge. He simply can’t be as bad as he has been for most of his time at United. No professional footballer, especially a Brazilian international, can be that bad, surely? It’s the team he’s playing in.

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil, the whole point is that, regardless of who United buy, they will never play as a cohesive side under Solskjaer. He simply doesn’t know how to get the best out of the assets he has. Even having Kante there wouldn’t make much difference.

I have long been one of Fred’s fiercest critics, and I know he was bought a few months pre-Solskjaer and it may just be he isn’t suited to the Premier League, but I’d love to see how he would perform in a City side managed by Pep, or a Liverpool one with Klopp in charge. He simply can’t be as bad as he has been for most of his time at United. No professional footballer, especially a Brazilian international, can be that bad, surely? It’s the team he’s playing in.

what was missing a lot of times yesterday was someone disciplined to sit in the middle to ensure the cbs weren’t exposed - whilst A decent DM doesn’t suddenly make the team wins titles you wouldn’t have lost 5 nil with someone like Ndini yesterday

So whilst I agree there are coaching issues especially when it comes to setting up - there is no one disciplined enough to just sit and do the dirty work.