The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ole is a Championship manager and it's beyond embarrassing he's still there. If he had any self respect he'd resign. Except he doesn't and is waiting for a big payday. Grinning all the way to the bank, proper club legend.

The fans are absolute mugs to put up with it.
Book him Danno, murder 1:)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fowler was the best finisher of the 90's, even above Shearer. People forget how good he was from 93-99. Ole was just a budget poacher who played in a great side. He was happy to spend most of his career sat on a bench.

I always thought the same. Complete lack of ambition and happy to keep picking up a pay check and winner's medals for spending most of his time keeping the bench warm. I hope he stays for many more seasons...

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
People seem to forget that Ole won't be sacked any time soon - he hasn't had the vote of confidence from the Board yet. As soon as he gets that, he will be out of the door within a week :cool:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You're right, both Ronaldo and Maguire were lucky to stay on. It's as if in these big games the refs have a narrative to keep the game interesting, rather than implement the rules.

Utd missed the boat but will have Poch in charge next season, he's hating it at PSG. Zidane or Conte will be bad moves. The funny thing is Mourinho would've won Utd the title last season if he'd been backed. He wanted Martial and Pogba sold in 2018 and team players bought in. Everything he said has come to light. Won a second rate Utd side two trophies and finished second yet was hated on by Utd fans.

Not sending off Milner v City endorses that. Why did Pogba tackle go to VAR. How did the ref not see that.
They would certainly of done better but win the title, that’s debatable.

Again one for the Utd fans. Who employs the managers, surely his head must be on the line. The sight of the fans by the leaving by the thousands very early surely sends a powerful message.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I always thought the same. Complete lack of ambition and happy to keep picking up a pay check and winner's medals for spending most of his time keeping the bench warm. I hope he stays for many more seasons...
The fans leaving early reminded me of City doing them 1-6 at the swamp. ???

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Fowler was the best finisher of the 90's, even above Shearer. People forget how good he was from 93-99. Ole was just a budget poacher who played in a great side. He was happy to spend most of his career sat on a bench.
He scored the goal against Bayern Munich, what else would they want?

They upgraded to Ruud a little later anyway, I think.

D

Deleted member 15344

Regardless of what OGS does as a manager his status with UTD surely can’t be questioned

300 games and 130 plus goals for them including multiple winners - as well as the winner in the big one for them

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Regardless of what OGS does as a manager his status with UTD surely can’t be questioned

300 games and 130 plus goals for them including multiple winners - as well as the winner in the big one for them

But the longer he clings on, Phil, the more that reputation will be tarnished irreparably. Even the biggest die hard knows that Solskjaer hasn’t a hope of turning this around - he hasn’t a clue what his next move should be.

Swango1980

Visit site
On reflection of yesterday, my 2 main thoughts:

1. Ole was a legend as a Utd player. Not because he was a football great, but because of his service, his valuable contribution and of course his big moment in 1999. However, I am quickly coming to dislike him hugely, and severely damaging his reputation. It actually concerns me when a section of Utd fans still defend him, when it is clear the same level of defence would not be given to a manager who had no previous connections to Utd. It is as if his history as a player is blinding fans to the fact that Ole could well be the worst manager in PL history. Certainly from a tactical perspective, and it now looks like many of the players have given up. If Ole thinks he has what it takes, he is deluded. More likely, he knows he will never have a better deal than this (he is on £200,000 a week I believe), and so he is going to try an milk it for as long as possible, and only go if sacked so he gets compensation. Some United legend.
  2. Devastated Roy Keane was not in the studio. Given he is on for most / all of the big games, and the fact he was announced as being on in MNF, I can only imagine a personal issue has resulted in his no show. However, no doubt the next time he is on the show, he will be asked for his opinion on United, and I cannot wait to hear it.
For those that watched the game against Atalanta on Wednesday, despite the comeback Scholes was very negative and said the first half destroyed any good feeling about what happened in the second. Despite constant messages for him to be a bit more positive, he summed it up by saying "if they play like that against Liverpool, just wait and see what happens". On Sunday evening he must have had a huge feeling of I told you so.

Billysboots

Visit site

1. Ole was a legend as a Utd player. Not because he was a football great, but because of his service, his valuable contribution and of course his big moment in 1999. However, I am quickly coming to dislike him hugely, and severely damaging his reputation. It actually concerns me when a section of Utd fans still defend him, when it is clear the same level of defence would not be given to a manager who had no previous connections to Utd. It is as if his history as a player is blinding fans to the fact that Ole could well be the worst manager in PL history. Certainly from a tactical perspective, and it now looks like many of the players have given up. If Ole thinks he has what it takes, he is deluded. More likely, he knows he will never have a better deal than this (he is on £200,000 a week I believe), and so he is going to try an milk it for as long as possible, and only go if sacked so he gets compensation. Some United legend.
  2. Devastated Roy Keane was not in the studio. Given he is on for most / all of the big games, and the fact he was announced as being on in MNF, I can only imagine a personal issue has resulted in his no show. However, no doubt the next time he is on the show, he will be asked for his opinion on United, and I cannot wait to hear it.
For those that watched the game against Atalanta on Wednesday, despite the comeback Scholes was very negative and said the first half destroyed any good feeling about what happened in the second. Despite constant messages for him to be a bit more positive, he summed it up by saying "if they play like that against Liverpool, just wait and see what happens". On Sunday evening he must have had a huge feeling of I told you so.

Hard to disagree with a word you say, I’m afraid.

The harsh reality is that we have been playing this poorly since this season started. We have got away with it because of the fixture list, no other reason. Even against Newcastle the team performance left a lot to be desired, but was masked by individual quality.

Paul Scholes was bang on in his assessment on Wednesday. It was another performance when individual quality, and the home crowd, dragged us over the finishing line. The first half in that game was abysmal, and the realists amongst us knew what was coming yesterday.

The most depressing aspect of this for me is hearing Solskjaer speak. His post match press conference yesterday was littered with comments about “progress made”, direction, being “close” to where he wants the club to be. What unadulterated drivel. He is totally and utterly out of his depth, a boy in a man’s world.

The worst thing which could have happened was the run of results after Solskjaer came in as the interim manager, and the ludicrous knee jerk reaction to that run when he was given a permanent deal before that season had even ended. The hierarchy were swept along by a wave of emotion, rather than sitting down and asking themselves “Hang on, we’ve had a good run, but just what are this guy’s credentials?”. The reality is, he came with none, and the final games of that season should have set alarm bells ringing.

Solskjaer was the wrong appointment. I was willing to allow him time, as there have been the occasional signs of mild encouragement. But there has been no sign whatsoever of steady improvement, quite the opposite in fact, and my patience ran out some time ago.

The club is poorly run. A shambles. Which is, regrettably, why I think we will still be typing the same several weeks hence.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard to disagree with a word you say, I’m afraid.

The harsh reality is that we have been playing this poorly since this season started. We have got away with it because of the fixture list, no other reason. Even against Newcastle the team performance left a lot to be desired, but was masked by individual quality.

Paul Scholes was bang on in his assessment on Wednesday. It was another performance when individual quality, and the home crowd, dragged us over the finishing line. The first half in that game was abysmal, and the realists amongst us knew what was coming yesterday.

The most depressing aspect of this for me is hearing Solskjaer speak. His post match press conference yesterday was littered with comments about “progress made”, direction, being “close” to where he wants the club to be. What unadulterated drivel. He is totally and utterly out of his depth, a boy in a man’s world.

The worst thing which could have happened was the run of results after Solskjaer came in as the interim manager, and the ludicrous knee jerk reaction to that run when he was given a permanent deal before that season had even ended. The hierarchy were swept along by a wave of emotion, rather than sitting down and asking themselves “Hang on, we’ve had a good run, but just what are this guy’s credentials?”. The reality is, he came with none, and the final games of that season should have set alarm bells ringing.

Solskjaer was the wrong appointment. I was willing to allow him time, as there have been the occasional signs of mild encouragement. But there has been no sign whatsoever of steady improvement, quite the opposite in fact, and my patience ran out some time ago.

The club is poorly run. A shambles. Which is, regrettably, why I think we will still be typing the same several weeks hence.
I couldn't understand him saying that. They've come 2nd last season, surely the logical step for "where you want to be" is winning the league? Losing 5-0 at home to one of the league rivals seems like a long, long way away from that. It's all gone a bit Ossie Ardiles / Kevin Keegan I think. Gung-ho, leave it to the players to express themselves, smash the weak teams but get turned over by anyone half decent.

Spurs Utd will be interesting, I'm not sure who's worse at the minute.

Billysboots

Visit site
I couldn't understand him saying that. They've come 2nd last season, surely the logical step for "where you want to be" is winning the league? Losing 5-0 at home to one of the league rivals seems like a long, long way away from that. It's all gone a bit Ossie Ardiles / Kevin Keegan I think. Gung-ho, leave it to the players to express themselves, smash the weak teams but get turned over by anyone half decent.

Spurs Utd will be interesting, I'm not sure who's worse at the minute.

The Spurs game is a tough call, as both clubs are in a bit of a pickle. I suspect their inadequacies will cancel each other out!

Until relatively recently I was reluctant to call for Solskjaer’s sacking, because I do think a constant managerial merry-go-round is less than helpful. That said, he’s had three years. To see where we are right now, despite the summer signings, most notably Varane, is truly depressing.

D

Deleted member 16999

You take an absolute lesson in possibly one of the biggest Club fixtures in the world and your 2 main thoughts upon reflection are slag off your manager, who has possibly over achieved and then hang the words of 2 ex-players.:rolleyes:

Isn’t this attitude part of the Man Utd problem? Who cares what ex-players think? How about highlighting the fact the 11 players on the pitch couldn’t string 2 passes together, failed to pick up the opposition and got dragged about like rag dolls.

For all the coaching in the world I’d expect any international footballer to be able to read the game or recognise when an opposition player is in acres of space and needs to be stopped, yes it can happen once or twice, but time and time again…

Plus, you are not going to be at the level of City, Lpool or Chelsea at the moment and maybe not for 2-3yrs even if you sack Ole.

I get you maybe embarrassed by your Club, but pointing it in the direction of one man and hanging on the words of ex-pros who haven’t achieved anything like Ole has as a manager is quite bewildering.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You take an absolute lesson in possibly one of the biggest Club fixtures in the world and your 2 main thoughts upon reflection are slag off your manager, who has possibly over achieved and then hang the words of 2 ex-players.:rolleyes:

Isn’t this attitude part of the Man Utd problem? Who cares what ex-players think? How about highlighting the fact the 11 players on the pitch couldn’t string 2 passes together, failed to pick up the opposition and got dragged about like rag dolls.

For all the coaching in the world I’d expect any international footballer to be able to read the game or recognise when an opposition player is in acres of space and needs to be stopped, yes it can happen once or twice, but time and time again…

Plus, you are not going to be at the level of City, Lpool or Chelsea at the moment and maybe not for 2-3yrs even if you sack Ole.

I get you maybe embarrassed by your Club, but pointing it in the direction of one man and hanging on the words of ex-pros who haven’t achieved anything like Ole has as a manager is quite bewildering.
He is getting the balance completely wrong to be fair. He had two box-to-box midfielders with nobody holding or protecting the defence. In attack he effectively plays 3 strikers and one very attacking midfielder. It's nominally a 4-2-3-1 but plays more like a 4-0-2-4.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Visit site

I get you maybe embarrassed by your Club, but pointing it in the direction of one man and hanging on the words of ex-pros who haven’t achieved anything like Ole has is quite bewildering.

But those players perform at a different level in their international colours. Why? Because they are properly coached, understand their role, and understand where they fit into a system. There is none of that at Old Trafford, so whilst the players must take a small portion of the blame, the manager takes overall responsibility. The buck stops with him.

I do say that to suggest otherwise is a little naive. If you want any evidence of managerial influence on performance look no further than Chelsea. Almost overnight Tuchel’s approach brought about massive change on the pitch.

D

Deleted member 16999

He is getting the balance completely wrong to be fair. He had two box-to-box midfielders with nobody holding or protecting the defence. In attack he effectively plays 3 strikers and one very attacking midfielder. It's nominally a 4-2-3-1 but plays more like a 4-0-3-3.
He’s getting a lot more than the balance completely wrong, I’m not trying to say Ole is the right man etc, I don’t care tbh, I’ve got enough worries with my own team, but the last thing on my mind is what 2 ex-players think about us.(y)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Not sending off Milner v City endorses that. Why did Pogba tackle go to VAR. How did the ref not see that.
They would certainly of done better but win the title, that’s debatable.

Again one for the Utd fans. Who employs the managers, surely his head must be on the line. The sight of the fans by the leaving by the thousands very early surely sends a powerful message.

Same ref;

And it's not the only time.

As for Ronaldo, if this isn't a red;

then why was this?

And they wonder why fans think there is an agenda.

D

Deleted member 16999

But those players perform at a different level in their international colours. Why? Because they are properly coached, understand their role, and understand where they fit into a system. There is none of that at Old Trafford, so whilst the players must take a small portion of the blame, the manager takes overall responsibility. The buck stops with him.

I do say that to suggest otherwise is a little naive. If you want any evidence of managerial influence on performance look no further than Chelsea. Almost overnight Tuchel’s approach brought about massive change on the pitch.
Absolutely the manager takes overall responsibility, not doubting that, but are you really suggesting Ole is somehow removing the ability of these players to speak and see? Just look at the lack of communication between Maquire and Shaw that led to the one of the goals.

Maybe someone can explain how Scholes and Keane slagging him off helps and who is the manager you think can do what Tuchel did.

Swango1980

Visit site

Your assessment is extremely flawed. I spoke of 2 ex players, but I could highlight nearly every pundit in the football world if you want. The performance was shocking and Ole is firmly to blame. This is not a one off performance. This is week in, week out. Before Atlanta game Ole said we were playing 4-2-4 and I panicked. Sure enough, we were battered in 1st half, and lucky to get back in it in second half. We then played the same side against Liverpool, and I was deflated.

Yes, the players have been awful, the work ethic terrible. But there is absolutely zero chance you'd get the same work ethic if a great manager was in charge.

And, for your bit on bold, this is EXACTLY why the management is responsible. You cannot expect individual players to figure it out themselves. You see Ronaldo quickly going to press the keeper, then looking back and his team mates behind him have not pressed, or worse still, have tried to press, not got there and left a massive amount of space behind them. You watch Magure try to take charge and cut out a ball, then realise one/two/three of his team mates have had the same idea. Suddenly they all get in each others way and leave acres of space behind them. This is why any team, no matter how good the players are, need good coaching. So that they know where they need to be from a team perspective, and how to work together. Instead, Utd have a massive case of "the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing"