• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Delighted with our window

Today we add Alex krul to the midfield on loan with an option

Another Czech player signed by agent soucek

Didn't have the best euros but then again xhaka was outstanding so what does the euros teach us

4 solid signings adds some depth for Europa

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I don’t find it frustrating

When they bought the club one of the main promises was that the club was run within its our means , it stood on its own two feet financially without the need for an owner to keep pumping money in to buy players - that was stated from the start that would not happen - I do find it frustrating when you see demands from people that the owners buy players as they believe that’s the only way to win - who has the richest owner.

I prefer the club to be run this way , it relies on great recruitment and great management- it’s shown to be successful and right now we have a team as good as anyone in Europe - need to have better luck with injury this season but we are going to challenge for the Title , I’m glad everyone is ignoring us

I just look at what teams around us have spent this summer. Arsenal, Spurs, City, United and Leicester have all spent to improve either the first team, or build on an already good squad.

It just worries me the players we are going into the new season with in midfield.

Fabhino - top class barring injuries can play most games.
Milner - absolute machine but too old to play all the time
Henderson - top class, has missed 26 over the last 2 season with a knee, groin and hamstring injury. WIll need to be rotated in and out of the team
Keita - looks like he could be great, missed 18 games last season with an ankle, ligament and hamstring injury. Not sure if he can stay fit enough to play most games
Ox - more often than not can have an impact on games, just hope he can stay injury free
Thiago - top class player but not sure how he fits into a Klopp style of playing, should be able to play most games
Jones - great young player with a lot of potential should be able to play lots of games
Elliott - has looked good so far this season, should be able to play lots of games.

Gini played in 179 out of 190 in the premier over the last 5 season. I worry that we have not replaced him and we are relying on players who are probably are not capable of playing most games. When the season gets tough playing twice a week soon I wonder how he is going to keep everyone fresh. Then once the end of the season comes and players are tired and start picking up knocks and suspensions how we will cope.

I am not trying to be the profit of doom, but after so long being stuck as a top 6 team aand only getting champions league football now and again I do not want to go back to that. I do not want the owners just going out and buying anyone to please the fans, but a good midfielder would have been nice. There are plenty around that we could have moved for and not at crazy prices either.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
:LOL::LOL:. Shelvey is one of those players who should look back in later years and wonder 'what if'. Nearly a very good player but what is between his ears, or not, has let him down time and time again.
he’s stolen a living the last few years. We are desperate to get a replacement defensive midfielder but alas nothing… another gamble by Ashley on a squad that is clearly not good enough, our main central defender (captain) has given away 2 pens in 3 games and the other lot are just as hopeless. Especially when played out of position such as Almiron, Ritchie, Murphy etc.

D

Deleted member 15344

I just look at what teams around us have spent this summer. Arsenal, Spurs, City, United and Leicester have all spent to improve either the first team, or build on an already good squad.

It just worries me the players we are going into the new season with in midfield.

Fabhino - top class barring injuries can play most games.
Milner - absolute machine but too old to play all the time
Henderson - top class, has missed 26 over the last 2 season with a knee, groin and hamstring injury. WIll need to be rotated in and out of the team
Keita - looks like he could be great, missed 18 games last season with an ankle, ligament and hamstring injury. Not sure if he can stay fit enough to play most games
Ox - more often than not can have an impact on games, just hope he can stay injury free
Thiago - top class player but not sure how he fits into a Klopp style of playing, should be able to play most games
Jones - great young player with a lot of potential should be able to play lots of games
Elliott - has looked good so far this season, should be able to play lots of games.

Gini played in 179 out of 190 in the premier over the last 5 season. I worry that we have not replaced him and we are relying on players who are probably are not capable of playing most games. When the season gets tough playing twice a week soon I wonder how he is going to keep everyone fresh. Then once the end of the season comes and players are tired and start picking up knocks and suspensions how we will cope.

I am not trying to be the profit of doom, but after so long being stuck as a top 6 team aand only getting champions league football now and again I do not want to go back to that. I do not want the owners just going out and buying anyone to please the fans, but a good midfielder would have been nice. There are plenty around that we could have moved for and not at crazy prices either.
We will need to have a bit more fortune this year in regards injuries

I believe that Klopp didn’t want to bring in a midfielder so that Elliot can be given a run - we have 8 mids for 3 roles with Elliott replacing Gini

In regards the spending

City will always spend - it’s the way they operate

Chelsea will spend as well

Arsenal - they have opened up the purse but I have no idea what they have spent all that money on - and seemed to have got worse

Spurs - it’s just adding onto their already huge debt , I don’t see them being close to top 4

Leicester - have made some smart moves but still see them as short

And Man Utd - I think since Ferguson left they must have spent nearly double what we have yet have won 0 leagues and 0 CL - even again spending this summer and I don’t see them winning , issues in the midfield , a poor manager.

City will be favourites again , if we keep most of the spine fit we will run them close

The only signing I would have liked would have been a young forward - someone like Doku

But I think this could be a really good season ahead

Swango1980

Visit site
We will need to have a bit more fortune this year in regards injuries

I believe that Klopp didn’t want to bring in a midfielder so that Elliot can be given a run - we have 8 mids for 3 roles with Elliott replacing Gini

In regards the spending

City will always spend - it’s the way they operate

Chelsea will spend as well

Arsenal - they have opened up the purse but I have no idea what they have spent all that money on - and seemed to have got worse

Spurs - it’s just adding onto their already huge debt , I don’t see them being close to top 4

Leicester - have made some smart moves but still see them as short

And Man Utd - I think since Ferguson left they must have spent nearly double what we have yet have won 0 leagues and 0 CL - even again spending this summer and I don’t see them winning , issues in the midfield , a poor manager.

City will be favourites again , if we keep most of the spine fit we will run them close

The only signing I would have liked would have been a young forward - someone like Doku

But I think this could be a really good season ahead

Once clubs have a decent set of players, the biggest asset is the manager. In terms of teams / squads, on paper, you could argue City, Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea all have what it takes to compete for titles. Tips for the title favour City, then Chelsea and Liverpool because they all have respected managers. No one tips United, unless out of pure hope, because there is little faith Ole has what it takes. He's a nice guy, and there have been some positives at Utd since he joined, including an improvement in moral amongst the squad. Probably dealt with the Pogba situation quite well also, compared to Mourinho. However, tactically he shows nothing and winning every match depends on the players pure quality and figuring it out for themselves. Imagine Guardiola managing that group of players, even with Fred / McTominay as the defensive midfielders. He'd give them confidence, and be crystal clear what he needs them to do.

This season may be Ole's final chance to mount a challenge. If he fails, it must be curtains. There can not be excuses like, they are still short of a defensive midfielder. Because, if they fail this year, there is no way you can bring in a player like Declan Rice and suddenly expect to become favourites to win trophies. Title winning sides to not need world class players in every position. They need a group of great players, a group of leaders, everyone to pull their weight, and a great manager to get the best out of every player to achieve great team results.

D

Deleted member 15344

Once clubs have a decent set of players, the biggest asset is the manager. In terms of teams / squads, on paper, you could argue City, Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea all have what it takes to compete for titles. Tips for the title favour City, then Chelsea and Liverpool because they all have respected managers. No one tips United, unless out of pure hope, because there is little faith Ole has what it takes. He's a nice guy, and there have been some positives at Utd since he joined, including an improvement in moral amongst the squad. Probably dealt with the Pogba situation quite well also, compared to Mourinho. However, tactically he shows nothing and winning every match depends on the players pure quality and figuring it out for themselves. Imagine Guardiola managing that group of players, even with Fred / McTominay as the defensive midfielders. He'd give them confidence, and be crystal clear what he needs them to do.

This season may be Ole's final chance to mount a challenge. If he fails, it must be curtains. There can not be excuses like, they are still short of a defensive midfielder. Because, if they fail this year, there is no way you can bring in a player like Declan Rice and suddenly expect to become favourites to win trophies. Title winning sides to not need world class players in every position. They need a group of great players, a group of leaders, everyone to pull their weight, and a great manager to get the best out of every player to achieve great team results.

Yep spot on

The teams are very close - they all have some areas that can be improved and it’s going to be a tight affair

Three of the clubs have proven world class managers and all three prob close to being the best 3 in club football - that level of manager has the potential to be the difference between winning the league or not

When I look at the managers that are around and have moved in the same period OGS has been around - i would have thought they would have leapt straight in for Poch when he was fired or then Tuchel

Manages like Conte and Mancini would leap at the Man Utd job

Swango1980

Visit site
Yep spot on

The teams are very close - they all have some areas that can be improved and it’s going to be a tight affair

Three of the clubs have proven world class managers and all three prob close to being the best 3 in club football - that level of manager has the potential to be the difference between winning the league or not

When I look at the managers that are around and have moved in the same period OGS has been around - i would have thought they would have leapt straight in for Poch when he was fired or then Tuchel

Manages like Conte and Mancini would leap at the Man Utd job
Since Fergie left, when Poch left Spurs it seemed like the first time where there was a ready made manager who would fit Utd perfectly. However, Utd had just committed themselves to Ole, and I guess the board just didn't have the courage to replace him with Poch when he became available. Although, in some respects, you can praise the board for sticking with their man for the longer term, and it may have been more to do with unfortunate timing rather than lack of courage.

Ole may well succeed this year, but not really on any evidence we've seen up to now. If he fails, it will be interesting what happens next. Will Utd go for Poch, will PSG let him go and will he want to go? Brenden Rogers? He seems to play a good brand of football and has a lot of respect in the game. Will Ronaldo be United's next manager!?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
he’s stolen a living the last few years. We are desperate to get a replacement defensive midfielder but alas nothing… another gamble by Ashley on a squad that is clearly not good enough, our main central defender (captain) has given away 2 pens in 3 games and the other lot are just as hopeless. Especially when played out of position such as Almiron, Ritchie, Murphy etc.

Its quite telling that the club couldn't even be arsed with the old line of "well we had a number of irons in the fire but we couldn't quite get them over the line in time" to account for their lack of transfer window activity.

What is ultimately heartbreaking is seeing a club that isn't even trying to compete at any level.

4LEX

Visit site
Since Fergie left, when Poch left Spurs it seemed like the first time where there was a ready made manager who would fit Utd perfectly. However, Utd had just committed themselves to Ole, and I guess the board just didn't have the courage to replace him with Poch when he became available. Although, in some respects, you can praise the board for sticking with their man for the longer term, and it may have been more to do with unfortunate timing rather than lack of courage.

Ole may well succeed this year, but not really on any evidence we've seen up to now. If he fails, it will be interesting what happens next. Will Utd go for Poch, will PSG let him go and will he want to go? Brenden Rogers? He seems to play a good brand of football and has a lot of respect in the game. Will Ronaldo be United's next manager!?

Personally think it'll be Poch as the PSG team and dressing room isn't suited to his management style at all. He's an intense, double training type of manager. I expect he'll win the title and a few cups then leave after missing out on the CL.

Ole will almost certainly get found out now he has no excuses. It has to be a proper title challenge and the latter stages of the CL plus winning a trophy. That squad is loaded with world class players. Ole's talk of 'progress' is very similar to Arteta and his "Trust the process" rubbish. The performances in both away games have been shambolic and again, bailed out by luck, bad finishing and then a moment of brilliance or good fortune. Man Utd should be going to Southampton and Wolves and running the game, not being outplayed. There is still no clear style or indentity to the way Man Utd play, other than hitting on the counter in big games. After nearly 3 years that is a huge shortfall for a manager not to implement any sort of style on the side.