The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

4LEX

Visit site
Ronaldo got the number 7 shirt. Weird because I thought they couldn’t do it with the squad already registered.

The FA obviously want the brand to market don’t they. Money money money.

You can't change shirts once their registered, however if a player leaves (James) it freed up his shirt which Cavani took. Which obviously freed up the 7. Double profit from Utd. Money for a decent player who wasn't good enough and the star player in his iconic shirt number.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It’s long, long overdue that the likes of Hungary were booted out of tournament football until they can get their houses in order. The only surprise is that anyone is surprised by the behaviour of thousands of their so-called fans.

Shows how daft football is...

The stadium is subject to a UEFA ban for racist chanting... but as was a FIFA sanctioned game, the ban doesn't apply.

Numpties.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ronaldo got the number 7 shirt. Weird because I thought they couldn’t do it with the squad already registered.

The FA obviously want the brand to market don’t they. Money money money.

You can apply to change it

It's been done before

Think we did it with Lucas Neil we gave him whatever number he never played then because 2 became available and he hadn't played he was able to switch

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can't change shirts once their registered, however if a player leaves (James) it freed up his shirt which Cavani took. Which obviously freed up the 7. Double profit from Utd. Money for a decent player who wasn't good enough and the star player in his iconic shirt number.
There was a piece online a few days ago about shirt sales and how clubs barely benefit from it. Don't feel sorry for them, mfrs give them a lump sum over a few seasons and take the risk that sales will go well. The belief was that utd would get around £5 a shirt, the rest goes to Adidas. The utd Adidas deal is reported as £750m over 10yrs.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good result, and promising for the World Cup. Shame it was overshadowed by racist idiots. If you can’t handle losing don’t support a football team as losses are part of the game. Grow up and deal with it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Good result, and promising for the World Cup. Shame it was overshadowed by racist idiots. If you can’t handle losing don’t support a football team as losses are part of the game. Grow up and deal with it.
I don't think they were being racist because they were losing, pretty sure they'd still be idiots if they were winning. I wonder how they behave if the opposition all happen to be white? Must be lost for words.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Makes a mockery of the Kick out Racisim imo.
How bad do fans have to be before teams are banned from tournaments.
They should be slung out as a warning to others, but will prob just get another fine. ,
Be careful what you wish for. Remember, England are still under investigation for the atrocious scenes at the EUFA final and then there was the trolling of the players who missed the penalties. As Southgate said yesterday, we should look at getting our house in order before we start moaning about others.
And this is by no means saying what went on last night is anything but wrong and has no place in society.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be careful what you wish for. Remember, England are still under investigation for the atrocious scenes at the EUFA final and then there was the trolling of the players who missed the penalties. As Southgate said yesterday, we should look at getting our house in order before we start moaning about others.
And this is by no means saying what went on last night is anything but wrong and has no place in society.

Ah but don't forget that whenever there is an issue in England, they are not really football fans whereas abroad it is always the fans of the club or country that are the problem.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Southgate played a very measured card last night, and before. If he had gone full steam into the Hungarian fans then the Hungarian FA could quite easily shout hypocrisy at the problems we have over here. Yesterday he condemned the fans but highlighted we have our own issues. A tricky tightrope, well walked. Really, the Hungarians should be playing their next game in front of an empty stadium but I wont be holding my breath on that front.

Back to the game, England looked very smooth last night, like a European team :oops:. All very comfortable on the ball, impressive. Had Harry not been 'resting' (stropping) these last few weeks he may have been sharper and the score much higher. It all bodes well.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Although Kane missed a few chances last night I thought he looked 100% better and sharper than the Euros.

Overall a very solid performance.
When you look at Hungary at the Euros to last night they were a completely different proposition.

The more I watch Phillips and Rice the more impressed I get,although Rice just needs to calm down a bit.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah but don't forget that whenever there is an issue in England, they are not really football fans whereas abroad it is always the fans of the club or country that are the problem.

I would normally agree, but in this instance Hungary is just backward as a nation. The referendum win to ban depiction of homosexuality to under 18's is a big hint.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would normally agree, but in this instance Hungary is just backward as a nation. The referendum win to ban depiction of homosexuality to under 18's is a big hint.

I do not disagree with you at all on that. Just a bit of a vent from me as the standard reply in this country ro racism, hooliganism, violence or anything derogatory (especially at club level) is that the perpetrators are not football fans.

Grizzly

Visit site
I do not disagree with you at all on that. Just a bit of a vent from me as the standard reply in this country ro racism, hooliganism, violence or anything derogatory (especially at club level) is that the perpetrators are not football fans.

Its the same with religious violence, political protest groups and golf club committees (and many other things beside) - groups are selectively deaf dumb and blind when it comes to the unsavoury elements within their midst, so dismiss their presence within the group as tangential to their sins

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its the same with religious violence, political protest groups and golf club committees (and many other things beside) - groups are selectively deaf dumb and blind when it comes to the unsavoury elements within their midst, so dismiss their presence within the group as tangential to their sins

I agree to a certain extent that groups all over tend to try and gloss over the sins of their membership but english football supporters seem unique in their desire to claim that any incident that occurs is never carried out by football supporters but rather some rogue group who watch football, follow football clubs, wear football shirts etc but are most definitely and are certainly in no way shape or form football supporters and that approach is carried across into the sports media etc.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My comment was about all football inc England .
But you must admit Hungary are a in a class of their own.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I agree to a certain extent that groups all over tend to try and gloss over the sins of their membership but english football supporters seem unique in their desire to claim that any incident that occurs is never carried out by football supporters but rather some rogue group who watch football, follow football clubs, wear football shirts etc but are most definitely and are certainly in no way shape or form football supporters and that approach is carried across into the sports media etc.

If someone shouting abuse at a football match also played golf or went to watch snooker, would it be ok to report that golfers are racist?

Yes they are probably football fans. But, football matches are just a convenient place for hooligans and racist scumbags to demonstrate how vile they are.

We have a problem with racism, and other minority groups within our society here in the UK. But it is nowhere near the levels of some places in continental Europe.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
what did you expect when hes resting the first choice xi?

more worried hes picked 3 right backs lol

?
Just seems like sympathy caps, it's not like either of those are ever going to break into the full England squad, specially Lingard whose ship sailed a long time ago. Maybe he should be looking at potential talent rather than non starters.
Just read that Bamford is 28, I thought he was much younger ?