The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, but I think you are all missing the point. VAR only intervenes when there is a clear and obvious error by the on-field officials.

I say again, if it took repeated replays from various angles in slow motion to eventually show what appeared to be a glancing contact between Pogba’s boot and Neves’s shin pad, then with the very best will in the world I do not see how anyone can say there has been a clear and obvious error.

Would this debate be raging if the incident had happened in a game between Brighton and Watford? I suspect not. Just saying ?
I am sure it would be important to Brighton or Watford fans.
I don’t blame the ref if anything he might have been to close to get a proper view.
Pogba was showing his studs and over the ball that’s normally not allowed .
But VAR has all the resources to see the contact ,I thought that was what it’s for.
As the ref clearly missed the contact .
Bet the Wolves fans are not happy.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nikola Vlašić, Kurt zouma and Alphonse Areola

That's 3 decent signings this window

Zouma walks into the team, areola I see taking over from fabainski soon

Vlasic very impressed with. Lingard alternative.. don't get me wrong would have loved him back but sounds like man United wanted too much for someone who's 28 with 1 year left on his deal so we turn to a 23 year old for similar fee. Good business

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always makes me smile when I read this, As a City fan I /They have always loved players that have put in a shift. 9 times out of ten it means they run round like a headless chicken. Fred puts a shift in as well.
My PP loves Almiron at Newcastle for this exact same reason. I ask him, 'what does he do though, apart from run around and put a shift in'. He still can't answer that :LOL:. Shift players are like the equivalent of using extra butter cream to cover a dodgy sponge. Underneath, it is still a dodgy sponge.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My PP loves Almiron at Newcastle for this exact same reason. I ask him, 'what does he do though, apart from run around and put a shift in'. He still can't answer that :LOL:. Shift players are like the equivalent of using extra butter cream to cover a dodgy sponge. Underneath, it is still a dodgy sponge.

It's an old school English way of thinking about football

Puts a shift in

It's why players like ozil get coated as they look lazy when he was such a talented player

D

Deleted member 15344

Man Utd confirm Ronaldo signing

No UTD tours for him to the US

West Ham bring in Vlasic - interesting to see how he does second time around in the Prem.

Swango1980

Visit site
The one attribute relatively poor quality players have is they put in a shift. It is the only attribute that ultimately gets them in the team. If they put in the same effort as Pogba, they'd struggle to get in your local Sunday league team. Roy Keane is right when he mocks pundits who praise players for putting in a shift. It is their job, they really should all be doing it. If you play in a team who wants to challenge for trophies, you really need to have more to you than that.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Nikola Vlašić, Kurt zouma and Alphonse Areola

That's 3 decent signings this window

Zouma walks into the team, areola I see taking over from fabainski soon

Vlasic very impressed with. Lingard alternative.. don't get me wrong would have loved him back but sounds like man United wanted too much for someone who's 28 with 1 year left on his deal so we turn to a 23 year old for similar fee. Good business
Areola’s a bit of a tit.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

so basically Almiron is the butter cream which covers up Shelveys failings?

Now Shelvey is one player who very rarely gets accused of "putting a shift in".

Pin-seeker

Visit site
James to Leeds is an interesting one,he definitely needed a move & reckon Leeds could be a good fit.
Liverpool have made a massive signing,they’ve given Henderson a new contract ?
Willians had enough at Arsenal & tore his contract up ??

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
so basically Almiron is the butter cream which covers up Shelveys failings?

Now Shelvey is one player who very rarely gets accused of "putting a shift in".
:LOL::LOL:. Shelvey is one of those players who should look back in later years and wonder 'what if'. Nearly a very good player but what is between his ears, or not, has let him down time and time again.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
AA best in his position now that’s funny.
Gets caught up field way too often,if Chelsea’s final ball in the first half hour was better it could have been 3.0.
Now some say Klopp wants him to play that way,well that says something about Klopps nievity.
Bielsa is the same,so attack minded buts forgets defense,class teams attack these spaces.

Matip is better than Gomez and imo Gomez is definitely not good enough.
Matip is better but IMO not good enough,it’s my opinion.

As someone said Liverpool were easy to defend against because it was all in front of them,you needed width down the right against Alonso and the Ox was available.
Even the commentary was saying they needed width.
Not in the top 3 for me,maybe even 5th

Do you still have the tactical nous of someone who watched Jackie Charlton's Saturday morning TV programme in the 80's?

I'd pick that apart, but it's so clueless, I'd be quicker writing a game of thrones series.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
James to Leeds is an interesting one,he definitely needed a move & reckon Leeds could be a good fit.
Liverpool have made a massive signing,they’ve given Henderson a new contract ?
Willians had enough at Arsenal & tore his contract up ??
If transfer fees are to be believed, James is twice as good as Ronaldo. The numbers are just getting stupid ?

D

Deleted member 15344

If transfer fees are to be believed, James is twice as good as Ronaldo. The numbers are just getting stupid ?

Wouldn’t read too much into Ronaldos transfer - 36 , only a year left on his contract and getting £500k a week ( highest paid player in the league ) - he will end up being a too much expensive than James

Hopefully it will allow Raphina to leave next season ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So PSG have turned down £189m for Mbappe and are letting him go for free next summer? Is it just me, or is that barmy when the club already have Messi, Di Maria and Neymar? Is Mbappe that good that they are desperate to keep him for a season then see him go for nowt?

4LEX

Visit site
It's mind blowing really. Shows how stacked the owners are when they can write £200m off. Even Man City would sell in those circumstances for £100m.

Would love to see PSG miss out on the CL this season. So much wrong with that club and side.

D

Deleted member 15344

So PSG have turned down £189m for Mbappe and are letting him go for free next summer? Is it just me, or is that barmy when the club already have Messi, Di Maria and Neymar? Is Mbappe that good that they are desperate to keep him for a season then see him go for nowt?

I don’t think the money matters to them and I suspect they think this represents their best chance of winning the CL - they might also still harbour chances of getting him to sign a new contract

Swango1980

Visit site
Maybe they are hoping to agree a straight swap with Martial, rather than £189m in the bank. Or they really don't want the money, hoping they win Champions League and convince Mbappe PSG are better than Real Madrid.

Not sure where Madrid would have got the money, thought they were broke.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe they are hoping to agree a straight swap with Martial, rather than £189m in the bank. Or they really don't want the money, hoping they win Champions League and convince Mbappe PSG are better than Real Madrid.

Not sure where Madrid would have got the money, thought they were broke.

The local government will help them out against no doubt