The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"nar nar nar nar nar nar nar" :LOL:

I don't believe that we should accept anything that is crushing the life out of the game that we all love - and I'm assuming that we all as fans do actually love the game....or at least did at some stage...otherwise we wouldn't be posting here. The implementation of VAR has strayed beyond its remit of rectifying obvious errors, into the realms of measuring, as well put by someone earlier....gnats gonads.

If an automated VAR offside system comes into being, I for one would like it to have an attack biased "fuzz factor" so that if any part of the forwards leading foot is in line with any part of the defenders trailing foot then the forward should be deemed onside.
Yes I agree.
That would be the definition of Level.
Richarlason must have thought he was level by eye .
To have it ruled out like that seems to clinical.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bit like brexit and our trading deals with the world?

We never got a choice. Sky have pushed this through. I often wonder who own the software that VAR use.

We've now got 3 variations of offside and fouls dont exist anymore just to suit VAR.

Its all aimed at making the "product" better. Sod the match going fans,theyll still put there hard earned up, turn up and shut up whilst we keep our partners happy.

I've been very consistent with my views re refs. Until we get a better standard of refs nothing will change regardless of what technology they use.

We dont see enough younger,better, fitter refs being added to the PGMO's list.

Who'd want to be a ref?
Cheating players make it almost impossible and, should they get a decision wrong, they are roundly slaughtered by just about everyone.

D

Deleted member 16999

"nar nar nar nar nar nar nar" :LOL:

I don't believe that we should accept anything that is crushing the life out of the game that we all love - and I'm assuming that we all as fans do actually love the game....or at least did at some stage...otherwise we wouldn't be posting here. The implementation of VAR has strayed beyond its remit of rectifying obvious errors, into the realms of measuring, as well put by someone earlier....gnats gonads.

If an automated VAR offside system comes into being, I for one would like it to have an attack biased "fuzz factor" so that if any part of the forwards leading foot is in line with any part of the defenders trailing foot then the forward should be deemed onside.
We can rant and moan as much as we like, but, using last night as an example, Everton won 2-1 and both teams finished with 11 a-side, regardless of how we feel.

I agree in principle with VAR, but it is still shocking in some of its use, until the FA/PL push changes, you, me and the rest might as well shout at the clouds.;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who'd want to be a ref?
Cheating players make it almost impossible and, should they get a decision wrong, they are roundly slaughtered by just about everyone.
Some of the fouls Dean let go last night were borderline reds.
Yet he booked a few for really trivial ones
If he’s not seeing that many he should not be reffing.
Yes it’s a tough job but he’s got backup to help, how many people have backup in their job?
VAR just backs up bad decisions.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But surely, if he's offside he's offside.
One inch, one foot, one yard, it doesn't really matter ...................................... he's offside.
At the moment that’s correct.
They need to change the way the lines are drawn.
Any part of the torso level with the defender and your level imo.
Really good goals getting chalked off is not the way to do it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I was hoping to have a nice draw against someone like Harrogate, instead we get "Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa FC" (their full name). I guess it will be a good warm up for the league, as we play each other the following week I believe.

It annoys me that we’ve been drawn away! Don’t fancy our chances winning twice in a season at old Trafford ? just not going to happen!

Both under new managers though playing high press, could be an insane game!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It annoys me that we’ve been drawn away! Don’t fancy our chances winning twice in a season at old Trafford ? just not going to happen!

Both under new managers though playing high press, could be an insane game!
Draw and beat them in the replay.
Are we still having replays ?

Swango1980

Visit site
One inch, one foot, one yard, it doesn't really matter ...................................... he's offside.
Agreed to a point. Although, I remain unconvinced that the technology is that accurate when judging if a player is a millimetre onside or offside, not to mention the judgement of the guy placing the lines (I assume that is what they do). So, it may actually be, when we talk about these close calls, "offside" might actually be onside and vice versa.

For me, the main issue is having to wait for that decision, after all that release of energy in celebration. It is torturous. So much so, that some of us may have calmed down a bit in our celebrations because there is always that doubt the goal will be disallowed. Before VAR, you knew almost immediately if the goal would be allowed or not.

True, if you got rid of the lines during VAR, but still judged if it was offside or not, then it can definitely be argued that there will still be that doubt whether the goal will stand or not. However, hopefully the decision will only be reversed when it is obvious by eye. In terms of last night(s) goals, before the lines were drawn, he looked like he could be onside (the linesmans call). I doubt many would argue it was the wrong decision (well, maybe Arsenal fans).

I mean, this is purely from my own perspective, and I certainly do not expect anything to change just because I say so. Just thinking out loud. Maybe some fans adore VAR, maybe others tolerate it and think it is working as best it can, maybe others have different ideas it could be improved. I am also speaking from the unfortunate position of a telly clapper, but I've taken on board what many (but not all) match goers think, and it seems to be worse for many of them as they get even less info than we do in our armchair. At least in the Premier League, at home we get to see the footage as VAR (and the ref if penalty / red card incident) see it, so we can often know what decision they will come to before the fans in the stadium. It seems in European games, that is not the case, I don't think we get any replays until the decision is made?

D

Deleted member 16999

At the moment that’s correct.
They need to change the way the lines are drawn.
Any part of the torso level with the defender and your level imo.
Really good goals getting chalked off is not the way to do it.
The type of goal is irrelevant, as is level with the eye, one of the reasons VAR was brought in was because the eye of the officials weren’t good enough.

Swango1980

Visit site
The type of goal is irrelevant, as is level with the eye, one of the reasons VAR was brought in was because the eye of the officials weren’t good enough.
That is true, when you also factor in movement during live action. I'm sure they'd have made significantly more correct calls if live action was paused still, even if they still had to do it by eye.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can't play every game Like prime Barca however when you get games like 3-2 Liverpool. 3-2 Chelsea, 4-1 Leicester and 4-1 against villa it makes the season more enjoyable to watch the football played rather than just grinding out a result
First time I've actually watched a (near) full match for a while (since Allardyce was Manager and Carroll was the 'target' I think) but the play (admittedly by both sides, so definitely a 'grind') was simply dire. ManU v Arsenal was infinitely better!

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We've had a previous discussion on here about the frame rate not being high enough to measure down to the millimetre. It could look offside by an inch but it could actually be onside by six inches. Also depends on what frame they decided to stop the action on. One frame earlier and he's a foot onside. One frame later and he's a foot offside.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Notwithstanding an issue if both players are facing/headed towards the attacked goal, I'd agree with that approach/change.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We've had a previous discussion on here about the frame rate not being high enough to measure down to the millimetre. It could look offside by an inch but it could actually be onside by six inches. Also depends on what frame they decided to stop the action on. One frame earlier and he's a foot onside. One frame later and he's a foot offside.
Hawk-Eye et al seem to be able to do it in Tennis, where the ball is travelling much faster than football players are.