The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So do you think Jurgen or Rafa tell the players to go and entertain the fans or come up with a game plan to try and win the game?
WE, the supporter, wish to be entertained, but it’s a results based sport, were a positive result takes priority over entertaining the fan.
Unfortunately that’s right.
But they can do both ,most of the time.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No just thinking aloud.
Mind you it can’t be any worse, or is the tech ok and the operators sub standard.?
Given that 'the operators' are qualified referees, I'd suggest that it's the tech that needs improvement. Hardly surprising - at least not to me -given the short time it has been in use.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Unfortunately that’s right.
But they can do both ,most of the time.
As I bemoaned earlier...I witnessed one of the 'NOT most of the time' matches involving the club I support! But hey; 'we' are still in a CL position (not that I expect - though would love to see - we'll be there at season end)!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree but you compared the tech in tennis to football and I don't think that works. You can compare goal line tech to tennis but not offsides.
Agreed! Precisely because it's 'different' tech - and not necessarily relevant to ALL sports!
But there's still plenty of incentive for techies to come up with 'better' tech! Single (supposedly) frame analysis is definitely 'limited' by fps (and always will be).
However...Without having any corroborating stats, it's my view that the vast majority of criticism of VAR are by fans of teams that have been 'penalised' by VAR decisions!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There’s an overview of upcoming VAR tech here: https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-fi...fside-why-arsene-wenger-thinks-it-can-fix-var

I‘m familiar with that type of skeletal tracking as it’s used in film vfx and video games. It’s certainly feasible they could make it an instant decision using it. Probably won’t make referees on the pitch any better though. :D
The question should be...Will it make offside decisions more accurate (and quicker). And that sort of tech is exactly the sort of development I inferred would be a logical improvement on what is currently in use.
Still won't satisfy the entrenched anti-tech attitudes of some though!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Who'd want to be a ref?
Cheating players make it almost impossible and, should they get a decision wrong, they are roundly slaughtered by just about everyone.
I Umpired Hockey to a fairly high standard many years ago (couple of International games and several National (equiv to County) Tournaments. I also played, though only to (equiv of) County 'B' level.
There's a completely different mindset about/between playing and Referee/Umpire-ing - mainly in attitude to 'applying the rules'. The 'attraction' is actually being able to watch, close-up, players doing amazing things at their chosen sport and, hopefully' contributing to many folks's enjoyment of the spectacle! There should also be a similar amount of 'pride' of 'doing your job well' too, just as players should exhibit.

Swango1980

Visit site
I Umpired Hockey to a fairly high standard many years ago (couple of International games and several National (equiv to County) Tournaments. I also played, though only to (equiv of) County 'B' level.
There's a completely different mindset about/between playing and Referee/Umpire-ing - mainly in attitude to 'applying the rules'. The 'attraction' is actually being able to watch, close-up, players doing amazing things at their chosen sport and, hopefully' contributing to many folks's enjoyment of the spectacle! There should also be a similar amount of 'pride' of 'doing your job well' too, just as players should exhibit.
No offside in hockey though, easy :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No offside in hockey though, easy :)
There was when I was umpiring!

Oddly enough though...
The majority of current rules that have changed since then are pretty much exactly what the/my County Coach (still, at 15, the youngest NZ Hockey Olympian - and a Gold Medallist in 1976) proposed when he harangued me about 'game-killing' rules on the 4.5+ hour boat trip home from an annual Wellington v Canterbury match! Corners - gone (replaced)! Offside - gone! Obstruction - reinterpreted as he proposed! Free Hits having to be on breach spot - gone! Has made the game much faster more skillful.

4LEX

Visit site
Atletico are a vile bunch of thugs and cheats. VAR working well again not to bothered to step in for the clearly wrong red card to Wendell.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Atletico are a vile bunch of thugs and cheats. VAR working well again not to bothered to step in for the clearly wrong red card to Wendell.

Is that the Wendell that aimed an elbow at the opponent’s throat or another Wendell? The first red card was a bit OTT, but once the bar had been set there Wendell always had to go.