The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

Pre VAR had those 2 goals been given nobody really would've complained about the offside as he never gained any real advantage.

Whilst it looks harsh, using the technology he was just offside. There will always be controversey to the really tight ones.

Afterall, it was the armchair fans/telly clappers/social media ultras that used to whinge the most for technology to be used.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I've said before, and many others have said, get rid of the bloody lines. If VAR cannot 100% tell whether it is offside or not, then that confirms that the linesman did not make an obvious error. So, just stick with his decision.

I also note the camera was at quite an angle to the lines being drawn. I'm not sure how accurate the technology is in setting the lines in place, especially as Richarlison's foot was up in the air. The line looked significantly in front of his foot, which could be down the angle we were looking at it. Not sure if VAR just estimates this, or they have NASA type technology that pinpoints the perfect line location.

What about if "generally" the linos keep their flags down for the big (or home) teams and leave it to VAR but for the little (or away) teams they flag?

Believe it or not, this can still have a big effect on who gets treated fairly or not, which is one reason why VAR was brought in. I get where you are coming from, but there are coward officials out there.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Pre VAR had those 2 goals been given nobody really would've complained about the offside as he never gained any real advantage.

Whilst it looks harsh, using the technology he was just offside. There will always be controversey to the really tight ones.

Afterall, it was the armchair fans/telly clappers/social media ultras that used to whinge the most for technology to be used.

To be fair Stu, they weren't the only ones but we were sold it on clear and obvious errors and diving cheats as I remember, not gnat's todger offside decisions.

Swango1980

Visit site

Of course, I never remember managers crying out for it after they were on the end of a wrong decision. I wonder how the authorities heard the loud voices of the telly clappers. After all, they have a TV, but I don't think they've a microphone :)

D

Deleted member 16999

Both were offside last night, end of story, we’ve (like most teams) been on both sides of VAR decisions and you have to accept them.

The automated VAR is currently being trialled and we’ll see if anything changes.

D

Deleted member 1740

To be fair Stu, they weren't the only ones but we were sold it on clear and obvious errors and diving cheats as I remember, not gnat's todger offside decisions.

A bit like brexit and our trading deals with the world?

We never got a choice. Sky have pushed this through. I often wonder who own the software that VAR use.

We've now got 3 variations of offside and fouls dont exist anymore just to suit VAR.

Its all aimed at making the "product" better. Sod the match going fans,theyll still put there hard earned up, turn up and shut up whilst we keep our partners happy.

I've been very consistent with my views re refs. Until we get a better standard of refs nothing will change regardless of what technology they use.

We dont see enough younger,better, fitter refs being added to the PGMO's list.

D

Deleted member 1740

Of course, I never remember managers crying out for it after they were on the end of a wrong decision. I wonder how the authorities heard the loud voices of the telly clappers. After all, they have a TV, but I don't think they've a microphone :)

I take what managers say after games with a pinch of salt.

From your favourite viewing point in your armchair, How many times did you hear the crowds in all different matches singing songs for VAR or Waving flags asking for VAR??‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site
I take what managers say after games with a pinch of salt.

From your favourite viewing point in your armchair, How many times did you hear the crowds in all different matches singing songs for VAR or Waving flags asking for VAR??‍♂️
How many armchair fans did you hear crying out for it? You're obsessed by telly clappers. Football is shown extensively on television, and that is not going to change soon. So, I recommend you get over it, I think it'll make you so much happier :)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Both were offside last night, end of story, we’ve (like most teams) been on both sides of VAR decisions and you have to accept them.

The automated VAR is currently being trialled and we’ll see if anything changes.

"nar nar nar nar nar nar nar" :LOL:

I don't believe that we should accept anything that is crushing the life out of the game that we all love - and I'm assuming that we all as fans do actually love the game....or at least did at some stage...otherwise we wouldn't be posting here. The implementation of VAR has strayed beyond its remit of rectifying obvious errors, into the realms of measuring, as well put by someone earlier....gnats gonads.

If an automated VAR offside system comes into being, I for one would like it to have an attack biased "fuzz factor" so that if any part of the forwards leading foot is in line with any part of the defenders trailing foot then the forward should be deemed onside.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Out of the last 21 seasons, with 63 possible opponents to choose from, Aston Villa have drawn Manchester United in the third round of the FA cup five times - 24% of the time!

Just feels like we always get United :ROFLMAO:

Bring them on

Swango1980

Visit site
Out of the last 21 seasons, with 63 possible opponents to choose from, Aston Villa have drawn Manchester United in the third round of the FA cup five times - 24% of the time!

Just feels like we always get United :ROFLMAO:

Bring them on
I was hoping to have a nice draw against someone like Harrogate, instead we get "Steven Gerrard's Aston Villa FC" (their full name). I guess it will be a good warm up for the league, as we play each other the following week I believe.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd guess you missed the game against Brighton then! :rolleyes::sick:

Can't play every game Like prime Barca however when you get games like 3-2 Liverpool. 3-2 Chelsea, 4-1 Leicester and 4-1 against villa it makes the season more enjoyable to watch the football played rather than just grinding out a result

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site