The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Crap performance got what we deserved. From looking like we could possibly be pushing for 4th place a couple of weeks ago we will do well to make top 8 . Ironic he brings back Xhaka and we have probably worst performance of season.Missed Smith-Rowe big time.

those who thought 4th was realistic are delusional, be lucky to be top half still!

over reliant on Smith Rowe and Saka, both look knackered and carrying injuries

still too much deadwood, mainly in the so called leadership group; aubam laca xhaka, arteta

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ridiculous game really, should have been ten men for most of it. Some effort from Richarlison through to the end, was half expecting him to blow up but he kept it together.

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can live with following a poor side but hard to stomach a team of bottlers. Like Xmas day for the opposition whenever we go up the M6. When Godfrey snapped Saka in half and then stamped on Tomiyasu not one single player confronted him or was around the ref. Nketiah told the club he's not staying when his contract runs out and days later he's getting minutes when we've got a kid scoring two a game for the u23's let alone 72 million Pepe. Got what we deserved.

That said, Mike Dean is a disgrace, finally booked Godfrey when he should already have had a red and a yellow and Gordon went over the top (not saying deliberately) on Tavares and he gave a throw in, which we somehow managed to concede the equaliser from as only we could.

This last few days has reminded me how happier I was when I'd lost interest in football ☺️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Turns out the good victory at the weekend may have come at a cost

Zouma rumoured (strongly) to have done his ACL (the other one from before)

Add that to obgonna being out (ironically ACL done in a good win against Liverpool, must be something about winning against top teams costs us important players) and it makes it tough at the back

We have Dawson and diop who tbh I'm happy with them it's just If any injuries then we really stuffed .. rice could be moved back but we would miss him greatly in the midfield

Rumoured we going in for either Ake or Tarkowski In January

Tbh I trust Moyes with whatever he goes with

For me the best parts of this season have been the European games and the league cup games .. zouma and ogbonna played a total of 1 game between them in those so diop and Dawson have been outstanding in them

Long way to go this season but we playing good football and enjoyable to watch

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Godfrey's should have gone and I was amazed little was made of Gordon's late tackle. It was over the ankle and the sort that looks awful in low mo. Usually leads to a red.

I only watched the last 35 mins or so, can't comment on the first hour. I can live with the defeat from what I saw, we were just shocking and didn't deserve a win, but having just seen the Godfrey "tackle", I can't for love nor money understand how that wasn't a red, let alone yellow. Equally, the Gordon late challenge on Tavares was a potential leg beaker, and should have been a booking at worst. I'm heading towards football apathy again....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good luck with Tarkowski, I think Newcastle will be all over him.

Tbh I'd like them to go for him so our hand would be forced with Ake. The younger of the two. Has played with zouma before and Moyes gets the best out of his CBs so I really think a younger CB would work wonders

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
They will prob miss the target ?

anyway

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw

Boreham Wood or St Albans v AFC Wimbledon

Yeovil Town v Bournemouth

Stoke City v Leyton Orient

Swansea City v Southampton

Chelsea v Chesterfield

Liverpool v Shrewsbury Town

Cardiff v Preston North End

Coventry City v Derby County

Burnley v Huddersfield

West Bromwich Albion v Brighton and Hove Albion

Kidderminster Harriers v Reading

Leicester City v Watford

Mansfield Town v Middlesbrough

Hartlepool United v Blackpool

Hull City v Everton

Bristol City v Fulham

Tottenham Hotspur v Morecambe

Millwall v Crystal Palace

Port Vale v Brentford

Swindon Town v Manchester City

Wigan Athletic v Blackburn Rovers

Luton Town v Harrogate Town

Birmingham City v Plymouth Argyle

Manchester United v Aston Villa

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Sheffield United

Newcastle United v Cambridge United

Barnsley v Ipswich Town or Barrow

Peterborough United v Bristol Rovers

West Ham United v Leeds United

Queens Park Rangers v Rotherham

Charlton Athletic v Norwich City

Nottingham Forest v Arsenal

Easy W for the Villa

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only watched the last 35 mins or so, can't comment on the first hour. I can live with the defeat from what I saw, we were just shocking and didn't deserve a win, but having just seen the Godfrey "tackle", I can't for love nor money understand how that wasn't a red, let alone yellow. Equally, the Gordon late challenge on Tavares was a potential leg beaker, and should have been a booking at worst. I'm heading towards football apathy again....
The ref will no doubt say that Godfrey had to put his foot down somewhere and he was not looking where when he did it. The looks of Neville and Carragher afterwards said it all though. As a pro, he would have known. No defence.

Gordon's tackle was youthful exuberance but he did not have control and it could have been a leg breaker, as you rightly say. We could not have argued had that been a red either.

You passed it around quite nicely at times but with no purpose. It was a limp performance, particularly when Everton were in a bad run of form, fans on the edge of revolt. You allowed the Everton players to get into the game, find some form, allowed the crowd to respond and let Everton grow. If it helps, maybe that is payback for selling us Iwobi :LOL:. Saying that, we will need at least another 8-9 victories to come close to being all level on that front.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The ref will no doubt say that Godfrey had to put his foot down somewhere and he was not looking where when he did it. The looks of Neville and Carragher afterwards said it all though. As a pro, he would have known. No defence.

Each of the refs are assessed at every game by a former professional footballer, and flashpoints like that are exactly the kind of thing that they are expected to feedback with what you've said - "as a pro, he would have known".

The worry is that this isn't Mike Deans first rodeo and he should have a pretty good awareness by now that a cynical and dangerous act of foul play like that is likely deliberate, especially with the 20/20 hindsight of VAR.

Swango1980

Visit site
The cliched line is "slow motion always makes things look worse". I wonder in this case if the opposite was true? In slow motion, a case might be put forward that his foot just landed on the head accidentally, and his immediate reaction was one of surprise. In normal speed, it seems to look a lot more as if it was something he could have avoided if he really wanted to.

Arsenal were woeful, did create some chances though. Everton seemed well up for it at times, and ironically the crowd seemed to get so much louder after 27 minutes, when all 4 Everton fans staged their walkout. I hope, for their sake, they got home in time to enjoy the finish like the rest of us telly clappers.

Swango1980

Visit site
Each of the refs are assessed at every game by a former professional footballer, and flashpoints like that are exactly the kind of thing that they are expected to feedback with what you've said - "as a pro, he would have known".

The worry is that this isn't Mike Deans first rodeo and he should have a pretty good awareness by now that a cynical and dangerous act of foul play like that is likely deliberate, especially with the 20/20 hindsight of VAR.
Mike Dean may not have seen it live. And, I don't think VAR even asked him to review it? So if a mistake was made, maybe the finger needs to be pointed at the chap in VAR rather than Mike Dean on this one?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The second disallowed "goal" last night was a joke.

Yet again VAR makes a decision where there wasn't a decision to be made....no genuine football fan, match goer or telly clapper (to use a phrase that has suddenly become popular round these parts) wants to see those goals chalked off because a players boot lace was flapping in the wind a few mm beyond another players pony tail....yes that's a facetious comparison but its genuinely where the game seems to be headed (except that heading will probably be banned in a few years). There was no way that the lines that were "drawn" on the pitch were representative of where the players feet were and seemed to indicate a good 2 or 3 inches of gap....which plainly did not exist.

At the most the transgression was an inch and if you try to tell me that VAR is doing its job then I will stick my fingers in my ears and go "nah nar nar nar nar nar"...because I'm not listening to such rubbish. VAR might be doing "A" job...but in this instance I do not accept that VAR was doing the job it was supposed to be doing.

I've seen some shocking decisions given against my team in relation to VAR in the past couple of years....I would not have had one single complaint if that goal had been scored and stood against Newcastle.

When VAR makes a decision like that, but fails to make any reaction to a player stamping on another's, face you know its all gone to hell in a hand cart.

Swango1980

Visit site
The second disallowed "goal" last night was a joke.

Yet again VAR makes a decision where there wasn't a decision to be made....no genuine football fan, match goer or telly clapper (to use a phrase that has suddenly become popular round these parts) wants to see those goals chalked off because a players boot lace was flapping in the wind a few mm beyond another players pony tail....yes that's a facetious comparison but its genuinely where the game seems to be headed (except that heading will probably be banned in a few years). There was no way that the lines that were "drawn" on the pitch were representative of where the players feet were and seemed to indicate a good 2 or 3 inches of gap....which plainly did not exist.

At the most the transgression was an inch and if you try to tell me that VAR is doing its job then I will stick my fingers in my ears and go "nah nar nar nar nar nar"...because I'm not listening to such rubbish. VAR might be doing "A" job...but in this instance I do not accept that VAR was doing the job it was supposed to be doing.

I've seen some shocking decisions given against my team in relation to VAR in the past couple of years....I would not have had one single complaint if that goal had been scored and stood against Newcastle.

When VAR makes a decision like that, but fails to make any reaction to a player stamping on another's, face you know its all gone to hell in a hand cart.
As I've said before, and many others have said, get rid of the bloody lines. If VAR cannot 100% tell whether it is offside or not, then that confirms that the linesman did not make an obvious error. So, just stick with his decision.

I also note the camera was at quite an angle to the lines being drawn. I'm not sure how accurate the technology is in setting the lines in place, especially as Richarlison's foot was up in the air. The line looked significantly in front of his foot, which could be down the angle we were looking at it. Not sure if VAR just estimates this, or they have NASA type technology that pinpoints the perfect line location.