The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Serious question re stopping the Game when players are down.
Is there a difference between a keeper going down and outfield players going down. Last nights game, an Arsenal player went down with a knock on the head. Play resumed. I said exactly the same on here the night before during the City game. A Villa player went off, am sure there was a concussion sub used. But again play went on for a minute or so. last night De Gea went down and there is suggestions play should of stopped. Irrespective of thoughts that it’s a goal or not. Am not on about last night but bottom line are goal keepers over protected.
I saw one a few weeks ago the keeper came out of his box to clear the ball and hurt himself.
The ref played on and the opponent scored after a short period 30 seconds approx.
The ref told us if he’s out of the box he’s just another player.
If he had been in his 18 yard box he would stop the game.
Bizzare.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree, although it would have been interesting to know what people would have felt if the ball had come off the post. Keeper lying on the ground, completely out of the game. If the ref had just let play continue, hectic play continued in and out of the box, Utd never had a chance to kick ball out, and then Arsenal scored, how would fans see that? I appreciate I'm a Utd fan, so I can only say I'd be annoyed if that happened in last nights match. But, I could see why a Liverpool fan might be irked if the same happened with Allison, a Chelsea fan if Mendy was injured on the floor.
Yes I agree.
But footballers are taught to put the ball in the net then ask questions later.
Then it’s up to the ref.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big game for the Villains on Sunday.

I think Leicester are beatable, especially if we play like we did in the second half against city. Vardy does like to score against us though.

Im going with 2-1 to the Villa this time. 9 points from 12 for Gerrard would be a really solid start.

Up the Villa

P.S Come on Burnley!
Been a lot on here about Villa Lately ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
I saw one a few weeks ago the keeper came out of his box to clear the ball and hurt himself.
The ref played on and the opponent scored after a short period 30 seconds approx.
The ref told us if he’s out of the box he’s just another player.
If he had been in his 18 yard box he would stop the game.
Bizzare.
Bizarre indeed. That is a whole new level of rules I was unaware of, or misinterpretation.

So, I assume the goalkeeper would be advised to roll back into his penalty area? For once you would see good logic for a player rolling 27 times after getting injured :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bizarre indeed. That is a whole new level of rules I was unaware of, or misinterpretation.

So, I assume the goalkeeper would be advised to roll back into his penalty area? For once you would see good logic for a player rolling 27 times after getting injured :)
He got a bad bounce and missed the ball.
We had a bit of a laugh but he tore a thigh muscle.

It’s the reason if he brings someone down outside the box he gets a red card .
But inside he only gets yellow but a foul in the box is a pen.
The ref was great he really explained it very well , pity the PL refs don’t do this it might educate us a bit.

Swango1980

Visit site
He got a bad bounce and missed the ball.
We had a bit of a laugh but he tore a thigh muscle.

It’s the reason if he brings someone down outside the box he gets a red card .
But inside he only gets yellow but a foul in the box is a pen.
The ref was great he really explained it very well , pity the PL refs don’t do this it might educate us a bit.
Yeah, but I'm still not entirely convinced by his explanation. I couldn't find anything in the rules that a referee should stop play if a goalkeeper is injured, so felt it was just an unwritten rule. But, certainly didn't see anything as specific to say the ref should stop play if the keeper injures himself inside the box, but not outside. It almost sounds like someone on the golf course who does a convincing job of telling someone a rule of golf, when in actual fact it is garbage.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, but I'm still not entirely convinced by his explanation. I couldn't find anything in the rules that a referee should stop play if a goalkeeper is injured, so felt it was just an unwritten rule. But, certainly didn't see anything as specific to say the ref should stop play if the keeper injures himself inside the box, but not outside. It almost sounds like someone on the golf course who does a convincing job of telling someone a rule of golf, when in actual fact it is garbage.
Yes I would agree with that and it’s more of an etiquette call.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yep, think everyone here has agreed with that. The discussion was more to do with "should the ref blow the whistle if a keeper is injured". By sounds of it, there is no rule that he should, but often they will once they become aware of the situation
Maybe read the whole thread were it says referees usually stop play for game management when a keeper is injured and it’s how referee’s are taught to referee.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, think everyone here has agreed with that. The discussion was more to do with "should the ref blow the whistle if a keeper is injured". By sounds of it, there is no rule that he should, but often they will once they become aware of the situation

The problem is that so many cheating injured players are not in the slightest bit injured, therefore the ref wouldn't have a clue whether or not to blow his whistle.
In Thursday's case, De Gea was quite clearly not injured and justice was clearly served.

D

Deleted member 16999

The problem is that so many cheating injured players are not in the slightest bit injured, therefore the ref wouldn't have a clue whether or not to blow his whistle.
In Thursday's case, De Gea was quite clearly not injured and justice was clearly served.
I totally agree about De Gea, but a Ref may still have to make a judgement call as we’ve seen recently players can collapse for health reasons.

Cheating is a stain on the game, but I rather we call a cheat out with hindsight than condemn the Ref for being conned. (not saying you are)

D

Deleted member 1740

There were a lot of people that were part of the OGS mess. No idea what the club planned once Rangnick came in, but they needed someone to take charge until that point. Had they got rid of Carrick, it would have to be someone else who was part of the mess. If we got rid of them all, then a player would need to take charge, Woodward, kit man? No reason why Carrick should not take charge for a few games, he was at least familiar and had a relationship with the players. We also have no idea what his thoughts and ideas were on football. Ultimately OGS was in charge, not Carrick. Maybe Carrick 100% backed his ideas, maybe they disagreed about certain things. But OGS made the final decisions and Carrick can't exactly come out in the press, or even come out to the players, to say he disagrees with OGS.

The buck stops with the manager no doubt about it. I very much doubt OGS was making all of the decisions on tactics etc. We'll never know.

This isnt a dig at yernited as we've seen it happen at other clubs too. I find it funny whwn managers are sacked and coaches are kept.

Lets be honest, OGS's sacking was a knee jerk reaction to the Watford defeat. Had Yernited beat Watford i'm certain he'd have stayed. On the previous results/performances he should've been sacked.

For me, A new manager and staff should've been lined up before any one was sacked.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I totally agree about De Gea, but a Ref may still have to make a judgement call as we’ve seen recently players can collapse for health reasons.

Cheating is a stain on the game, but I rather we call a cheat out with hindsight than condemn the Ref for being conned. (not saying you are)

I absolutely agree, and this is why cheating/feigning injury has to be stamped out!
Only then will refs be able to make a far more informed decision.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I absolutely agree, and this is why cheating/feigning injury has to be stamped out!
Only then will refs be able to make a far more informed decision.
Seems to have gone the other way imo.
Players diving and feigning injury and refs turning a blind eye a lot more this season .
But two booked in the derby for diving. ( should have been three)

4LEX

Visit site
Thankfully the PL is the least inflicted league with faking injuries and time wasting. If you watch Serie A or some farmers leagues like France it is seriously toxic. I watched a game a few weeks ago in Ligue 1 and I'm not joking there were over 8 injury breaks in the second half. All for the same team who happened to be winning.

Swango1980

Visit site
The buck stops with the manager no doubt about it. I very much doubt OGS was making all of the decisions on tactics etc. We'll never know.

This isnt a dig at yernited as we've seen it happen at other clubs too. I find it funny whwn managers are sacked and coaches are kept.

Lets be honest, OGS's sacking was a knee jerk reaction to the Watford defeat. Had Yernited beat Watford i'm certain he'd have stayed. On the previous results/performances he should've been sacked.

For me, A new manager and staff should've been lined up before any one was sacked.
Yeah. Though, anytime a manager is sacked, it is on the back of a defeat, that has followed another string of bad performances. Had Utd beat Watford would he have stayed? Quite possibly, we'll never know. But, his cards were well and truly numbered, so had we lost the game after, or the one after that, etc, he was very likely going to go. His only chance would have been to beat Watford, then suddenly go on a ridiculous winning run. You could argue he had some of those moments earlier in his Utd career, where a great result turned things round from a likely sack.

I don't think any club plans ahead to sack a manager. The reason a manager gets a contract is because the club must have some faith in them. Bad results come along, the club hope things will turn around, though some clubs are more impatient than others. If a club has a new manager and coaching set up ready to come in, it means they'd have needed time to get everything ready whilst Ole was still at the wheel. It doesn't happen quickly. If it does happen quickly, you could argue there is less of a plan, and they've just found anyone that is available at short notice.

I'm not critical of how the club have reacted so far in this situation. Maybe Ole could have been fired a few weeks ago, but maybe that was simply the time the club needed to start devising a plan, whilst giving him a few more games. They didn't rush and bring in Conte, and personally I'm quite happy with that. Nothing against Conte, but it just seemed like a Mourinho situation all over again. I'd never really heard of Rangnick, but from what I have seen so far I quite like him. Might backfire, but any manager is a risk. I think employing until end of season, and keeping him on after has been a pretty good move. They've basically given themselves a get out clause if he is a big failure, but still give him a long term project to keep him motivated, and if things go very well he may well keep the job.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Jut had a quick peruse on the net. Of the 20 teams in the prem. Six managers have been sacked so far this season. A season in which only 13/14 games have been played. I follow the BBC site and they have been fantastic in putting pressure on managers. I have a feeling it has Benitez at Everton in its sights next ☹️