The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
I thought it was all pretty clear. Any head injury, the game stops. Any slight doubt a concussion sub comes on, still woefully underused.

Any other injury, up to the ref to decide whether it is serious enough to warrant a forced stop in play or whether it can wait until a natural stop in play.

Keepers are over protected on the whole but I do understand why, they are the only people on the pitch who can handle the ball. Saying that, if the ref had blown last night it would have been criminal, no Arsenal player was involved in putting De Gea down.
I agree, although it would have been interesting to know what people would have felt if the ball had come off the post. Keeper lying on the ground, completely out of the game. If the ref had just let play continue, hectic play continued in and out of the box, Utd never had a chance to kick ball out, and then Arsenal scored, how would fans see that? I appreciate I'm a Utd fan, so I can only say I'd be annoyed if that happened in last nights match. But, I could see why a Liverpool fan might be irked if the same happened with Allison, a Chelsea fan if Mendy was injured on the floor.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree, although it would have been interesting to know what people would have felt if the ball had come off the post. Keeper lying on the ground, completely out of the game. If the ref had just let play continue, hectic play continued in and out of the box, Utd never had a chance to kick ball out, and then Arsenal scored, how would fans see that? I appreciate I'm a Utd fan, so I can only say I'd be annoyed if that happened in last nights match. But, I could see why a Liverpool fan might be irked if the same happened with Allison, a Chelsea fan if Mendy was injured on the floor.

I agree.

There are rules and there is etiquette (even still in footy now and again), the only thing I would put in Arsenal's favour was that it was his own player that injured him.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have just watched the goal, it all happened in a couple of seconds, there was really no time for Arsenal to stop play. the guy who played the ball when it came out probably couldn't even see the keeper was injured and Smith Rowe is a teenager who acted on instinct.

Swango1980

Visit site
I have just watched the goal, it all happened in a couple of seconds, there was really no time for Arsenal to stop play. the guy who played the ball when it came out probably couldn't even see the keeper was injured and Smith Rowe is a teenager who acted on instinct.
Absolutely. I doubt anyone has been critical for Arsenal playing on. Just a strange incident we don't see too often.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Big game for the Villains on Sunday.

I think Leicester are beatable, especially if we play like we did in the second half against city. Vardy does like to score against us though.

Im going with 2-1 to the Villa this time. 9 points from 12 for Gerrard would be a really solid start.

Up the Villa

P.S Come on Burnley!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure we’ll ever know who was responsible for what during Solskjaer’s tenure. Carrick may well turn out to be a good coach.
Is Mike Phelan still not on the team? He was there during Fergie's time. Was he good then and bad now or good then, good now but the team as a whole is out of his remit?

As you say, it is hard to know from the outside which coaches are good and which are not. Ultimately, the manager / head coach is responsible.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is Mike Phelan still not on the team? He was there during Fergie's time. Was he good then and bad now or good then, good now but the team as a whole is out of his remit?

As you say, it is hard to know from the outside which coaches are good and which are not. Ultimately, the manager / head coach is responsible.
Yes, but the team aspect is important. The manager makes the final calls, he is the main guy people look out to, and it is up to him to get the best out of his team. I'm sure he had a very productive relationship with Phelan and most of the rest of his staff, to get the best out of players and all other staff. I'm sure Phelan is good at what he does, and Fergie used him well. It is probably simply a case that Ole did not. I'm sure Phelan did not make the calls when Ole was in charge, and I'm sure he didn't when Fergie was in charge.
Although part of the OGS team, has Carrick now made OGS unemployable as a manager now after his 3 games in charge?
I doubt anyone can read too much into 3 games of football. The results could be largely due to the players subconsciously raising their game to show extra determination after Ole was removed. Mind you, I think Ole will struggle to get a job anyway, at least a big one. His positives were he was a nice guy, and he also had Man Utd running through his blood (which is only a positive if the club is Man Utd). I doubt many teams look for that in a manager, they are more interested in a manager that plays in a certain way. Whether it be attacking, defensive, long ball, etc to suit their particular club. I'm not sure any club really knows what style Ole would bring to the table, and he also doesn't seem to be the type to give players a kick up the backside if the results need changing quickly. I know Utd went on a good run when he started, but in hindsight I think that was largely down to a weight being lifted off their shoulders when Mourinho left, rather than a brilliant tactical change.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, but the team aspect is important. The manager makes the final calls, he is the main guy people look out to, and it is up to him to get the best out of his team. I'm sure he had a very productive relationship with Phelan and most of the rest of his staff, to get the best out of players and all other staff. I'm sure Phelan is good at what he does, and Fergie used him well. It is probably simply a case that Ole did not. I'm sure Phelan did not make the calls when Ole was in charge, and I'm sure he didn't when Fergie was in charge.
Sorry, I should have added more to my post. The reality is that I am pretty sure that Phelan is a top coach. He would not have survived that era by being average. The point made earlier, not by you, about clearing all of the coaching staff ignores the influence each coach has. It is up to the new manager to work out which coaches are worth keeping, which are not.

The direction, style, everything is dictated by the manager. I agree with what you put (y)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Roy Keane, I think it was, raised questions a few weeks ago regarding just what Mike Phelan’s role is. I’m not sure anyone knows.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Or are these incidents happening to recovered Covid sufferers? There’s even been at least 3 professional footballers in the last 6 months…
That was my point, it should be picked up given the facilities available.

English speaking newspaper here in southern Spain running an article on the number of footballers that have suffered heart problems this year, asking the question is it Covid related.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure we’ll ever know who was responsible for what during Solskjaer’s tenure. Carrick may well turn out to be a good coach.
He may well turn out to be a good coach but from his body language, demure and how he seems to come across he does not seem to have the required motivational skills.

I have however no dislike for dislike for Carrick

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
werent all of the backroom staff under Ole given the same 3 yr extensions?

A great example of the ineptitude of those upstairs. Along with the likes of Phil Jones and other deadwood, whose contracts are renewed at great expense, presumably so the club can try and command a fee, rather than letting them go for nothing. The trouble is, we don’t play them and nobody else wants them.

Only one loser in that scenario and it’s been going on for years.

4LEX

Visit site
De Gea faked the injury and thought the game would be stopped as it usually is for a keeper injury. It was tactical gamesmanship and he got caught out.

The ref would 100% have blown if he had a few more seconds to process it, he was caught out too. The right outcome prevailed.

4LEX

Visit site
A great example of the ineptitude of those upstairs. Along with the likes of Phil Jones and other deadwood, whose contracts are renewed at great expense, presumably so the club can try and command a fee, rather than letting them go for nothing. The trouble is, we don’t play them and nobody else wants them.

Phil Jones can't be worse than Maguire on this season surely :sneaky:;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I kind of recognise it from a far, same boat for us for many years

Like last night, contract talks failed so lets bring Nketiah on at OT to put him in the shop window for January lol whilst conitnuing to keep Balogun away from the side as hes signed his contract