The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Game of 2 penalty decisions :( well done United

Same old story for us, plenty of good from the youngsters, plenty of bad from the older players, still a lot of deadwood that needs clearing out. Far too many errors, not good enough through the middle of the pitch yet again. Still beggars belief that we didnt address the biggest issues in the summer (again), no doubt we panic buy in January

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Breaking news Michael Carrick has announced his departure from Manchester United.

Sorry to see him go, but it’s not unexpected. I’d love to see someone of his calibre and calmness in United’s midfield these days, putting his foot on the ball and picking a pass. We’ve never really replaced him in that respect.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What did I say that wasn’t true? And I wasn’t the only one to say it!

As a fan are you happy that your team was wasting time from early in the second half when the score was 0-0? I wouldn’t be is that was my team.

We slowed the game down when Leeds were in the ascendancy, its what almost every football team does in the same situation. If we were playing for a draw, then explain why after the period in question we were then the better side for a good 20 minutes, put on attacking players from the bench and if it was not for Benteke having a 50p for a head we would have taken the lead with one of this chances.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We slowed the game down when Leeds were in the ascendancy, its what almost every football team does in the same situation. If we were playing for a draw, then explain why after the period in question we were then the better side for a good 20 minutes, put on attacking players from the bench and if it was not for Benteke having a 50p for a head we would have taken the lead with one of this chances.

haha love the Benteke description

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Serious question re stopping the Game when players are down.
Is there a difference between a keeper going down and outfield players going down. Last nights game, an Arsenal player went down with a knock on the head. Play resumed. I said exactly the same on here the night before during the City game. A Villa player went off, am sure there was a concussion sub used. But again play went on for a minute or so. last night De Gea went down and there is suggestions play should of stopped. Irrespective of thoughts that it’s a goal or not. Am not on about last night but bottom line are goal keepers over protected.

D

Deleted member 1740

Sorry to see him go, but it’s not unexpected. I’d love to see someone of his calibre and calmness in United’s midfield these days, putting his foot on the ball and picking a pass. We’ve never really replaced him in that respect.

He was part of OGS mess, he should've went then with the rest of them imo.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is there a difference between a keeper going down and outfield players going down. Last nights game, an Arsenal player went down with a knock on the head. Play resumed. I said exactly the same on here the night before during the City game. A Villa player went off, am sure there was a concussion sub used. But again play went on for a minute or so. last night De Gea went down and there is suggestions play should of stopped. Irrespective of thoughts that it’s a goal or not. Am not on about last night but bottom line are goal keepers over protected.
I had a read of the rules regarding injuries, and I suspect not. The only difference with a keeper and an outfield player being injured is that a keeper does not have to leave the pitch when play resumes (obviously). But, I couldn't actually see anything about play having to be stopped if a keeper is injured. The rules simply say that if a player is slightly injured, the ref can play on (any player, does not exempt keeper).

It is an interesting one, unless I am missing something in the rules. In all the years I've watched football, I've never seen a ref allow play to continue if the keeper is lying on the floor injured. So, not sure if it is just an unwritten rule that a ref would stop game? If this incident highlights the issue, it would be interesting if a keeper goes down in future. Will ref stop game? If not, will opposition try and take advantage?

What irked a little about last night were the Arsenal celebrations afterwards. I am not critical about the goal, they were not aware of DeGea's situation anyway when the shot was struck. However, I'd have liked to have seen a bit of a respectful, muteful celebration. A bit like a snooker player tapping the table, or a tennis player tapping the net. Maybe most teams would act the same way, maybe it is the nature of footballers in general. But it just didn't sit right with me.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought it was all pretty clear. Any head injury, the game stops. Any slight doubt a concussion sub comes on, still woefully underused.

Any other injury, up to the ref to decide whether it is serious enough to warrant a forced stop in play or whether it can wait until a natural stop in play.

Keepers are over protected on the whole but I do understand why, they are the only people on the pitch who can handle the ball. Saying that, if the ref had blown last night it would have been criminal, no Arsenal player was involved in putting De Gea down.

Swango1980

Visit site
He was part of OGS mess, he should've went then with the rest of them imo.
There were a lot of people that were part of the OGS mess. No idea what the club planned once Rangnick came in, but they needed someone to take charge until that point. Had they got rid of Carrick, it would have to be someone else who was part of the mess. If we got rid of them all, then a player would need to take charge, Woodward, kit man? No reason why Carrick should not take charge for a few games, he was at least familiar and had a relationship with the players. We also have no idea what his thoughts and ideas were on football. Ultimately OGS was in charge, not Carrick. Maybe Carrick 100% backed his ideas, maybe they disagreed about certain things. But OGS made the final decisions and Carrick can't exactly come out in the press, or even come out to the players, to say he disagrees with OGS.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I thought it was all pretty clear. Any head injury, the game stops. Any slight doubt a concussion sub comes on, still woefully underused.

Any other injury, up to the ref to decide whether it is serious enough to warrant a forced stop in play or whether it can wait until a natural stop in play.

Keepers are over protected on the whole but I do understand why, they are the only people on the pitch who can handle the ball. Saying that, if the ref had blown last night it would have been criminal, no Arsenal player was involved in putting De Gea down.

Totally agree.

Otherwise - I know how I'd get my team to defend corners in the future - just take out our own keeper!