The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's a bold call considering the shocking state of refereeing in this country. It's even worse lower down the leagues. I've sat and had a beer with opposition fans after some of our games and neither side could believe how bad the ref was. Not biased towards one team or the other, just incompetent, with decisions given for your team that you just couldn't work out how they'd given it.

I always think it's unfair that a ref who has had a bad game in the Prem gets demoted to ref in the Championship the following week. Why should the Championship clubs have to suffer a ref that was useless the week before?

Correct, if theyve had a mare, should not ref for two weeks, a few of them and you go down 2 leagues.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Now that was a super Sunday, proper match.

3 brilliant goals and tbf City deserved the draw, but in a way should have been 4 great goals deciding a great match. If I had a chance to pinch one city player for us, it would be tough to pick between Foden and De Bruyne.

D

Deleted member 1740

Now that was a super Sunday, proper match.

3 brilliant goals and tbf City deserved the draw, but in a way should have been 4 great goals deciding a great match. If I had a chance to pinch one city player for us, it would be tough to pick between Foden and De Bruyne.

Foden easily, you’ll get more out of him. Though I’d love Fernandinho’s unpunished tactical fouling ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Just heard peps interview, suggesting it wasn’t a sending off because it was Anfield or Old Trafford was a bit poor, i wonder if he will face any FA disciplinary action, you can’t make accusations like that about referees.

4LEX

Visit site
Pep was spot on, it was a disgraceful decision. The sort of decisions that only get given in big games at Old Trafford and Anfield on a regular basis. We all know the refs are rubbish but those grounds have a habit of very suspect decisions. Why no VAR review as that was a clear error.

Excellent game though and the first half showed why City will struggle without a cutting edge. They've gone away to PSG and Liverpool and ran rings around both sides in the first half and scored 0 goals. The second half of both Pep has lost control and been outwitted by Poch and Klopp.

As good as Foden is, very predictable and so one footed. He missed 2 clear chances and scored his toughest one. Mo Salah is different levels this season, he's bounced back from an average season by his standards last year and is without doubt the best player in the world at the moment.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Red glasses on - The 72nd minute Milner foul on its own is a yellow most of the time, not all, but most. Bad / dirty / professional foul / final man - no, just Silva done him, as he did with a few others on the day. We all know that a second yellow has to be a bit more when sending someone off, compared to what you would normally give the 1st yellow for. Some people think that the very next foul after someone is on a yellow is definitely a sending off when its not. Some players get away with 3-5 fouls before they get a yellow, but can be a tightrope if you do another 1-3, or if one is serious foul play. For me it wasnt serious foul play on it's own, he was just done by a very tricky player.

HOWEVER, for the whole of the 72 minutes Milly was on, for the overall seriousness and number of fouls he did he should have been off.

Oh, come on! That second foul is a yellow all day long. It’s a stunning gaff not to give it - there’s absolutely no room for debate whatsoever!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Oh, come on! That second foul is a yellow all day long. It’s a stunning gaff not to give it - there’s absolutely no room for debate whatsoever!

Read what I said properly. It is a 1st yellow absolutely, but some refs wouldn't give it as a second yellow, although some definitely would.

Did anyone else notice that Silva did a similar tackle on Mo, after Silva had been booked, and Mo was away down the wing if he wouldn't have been fouled? Probably not, because the telly didnt replay it 3 times, have 7-8 city players surround the ref and not see Klopp do pep's histrionics, which takes something to top Jurgen's.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Read what I said properly. It is a 1st yellow absolutely, but some refs wouldn't give it as a second yellow, although some definitely would.

Did anyone else notice that Silva did a similar tackle on Mo, after Silva had been booked, and Mo was away down the wing if he wouldn't have been fouled? Probably not, because the telly didnt replay it 3 times, have 7-8 city players surround the ref and not see Klopp do pep's histrionics, which takes something to top Jurgen's.
A foul that deserves a yellow is a foul that that deserves a yellow. Please show me in any rules book where it says anything different. It is this sort of inconsistency that is ruining the game.

Also, nice to see Klopp taking a leaf out of Wenger's book and saying he didn't see the foul :eek:[/QUOTE]

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Pep was spot on, it was a disgraceful decision. The sort of decisions that only get given in big games at Old Trafford and Anfield on a regular basis. We all know the refs are rubbish but those grounds have a habit of very suspect decisions. Why no VAR review as that was a clear error.

Excellent game though and the first half showed why City will struggle without a cutting edge. They've gone away to PSG and Liverpool and ran rings around both sides in the first half and scored 0 goals. The second half of both Pep has lost control and been outwitted by Poch and Klopp.

As good as Foden is, very predictable and so one footed. He missed 2 clear chances and scored his toughest one. Mo Salah is different levels this season, he's bounced back from an average season by his standards last year and is without doubt the best player in the world at the moment.

VAR isn't used for yellow cards, even if it is a second yellow that goes on to be a red. Pretty simple really.

D

Deleted member 1740

A foul that deserves a yellow is a foul that that deserves a yellow. Please show me in any rules book where it says anything different. It is this sort of inconsistency that is ruining the game.

Also, nice to see Klopp taking a leaf out of Wenger's book and saying he didn't see the foul :eek:

I agree but for as long as I can remember watching football refs have used a degree of leeway and common sense at times when it comes to 2nd yellows.

All teams have benefitted for it too.

If fernandinho was shown a card for every tactical foul he made he'd only be on 20 club appearances ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree but for as long as I can remember watching football refs have used a degree of leeway and common sense at times when it comes to 2nd yellows.

All teams have benefitted for it too.

If fernandinho was shown a card for every tactical foul he made he'd only be on 20 club appearances ?

Absolutely Stu, fans would be up in arms if two soft yellows was a red every time. I'd say though that Milner's challenge was, if you like, "a hard yellow" and in that case he should have been off. Ref's tend to give most players a few fouls before the first yellow so long as they are not brutal, so they are not going to give a second yellow before a few more talking to's.

D

Deleted member 1740

Absolutely Stu, fans would be up in arms if two soft yellows was a red every time. I'd say though that Milner's challenge was, if you like, "a hard yellow" and in that case he should have been off. Ref's tend to give most players a few fouls before the first yellow so long as they are not brutal, so they are not going to give a second yellow before a few more talking to's.

There'd be no complaints had he been shown a 2nd yellow yesterday. Absolutely none.

It's cheap and lazy to say it only happens at Anfield or Old Trafford when it clearly doesn't.