The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

It’s a shame that the talking point is the ref and not the actual football

Today it should be about the breathtaking ability of Mo Salah and how the Prem has such an iconic talent or how England in Foden has the best young talent in the world or the Rodri goal line clearance etc etc

D

Deleted member 1740

Today it should be about the breathtaking ability of Mo Salah and how the Prem has such an iconic talent or how England in Foden has the best young talent in the world or the Rodri goal line clearance etc etc

Wow LiverpoolPhil in sensible post shocker??

Mods can we sticky this please ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Ill say it so you dont have to - Best player in world football at this present moment in time - Mo Salah.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree but for as long as I can remember watching football refs have used a degree of leeway and common sense at times when it comes to 2nd yellows.

All teams have benefitted for it too.

If fernandinho was shown a card for every tactical foul he made he'd only be on 20 club appearances ?
I appreciate we can go down a dark alley with this but do you think Fabinho is any different for you? He is your Fernandinho, doing the same job, making the same fouls. That's fine, or not really, but then it's time to stop going on about Fernandinho all the time. It ends up being like the diving debate. Indidentally, yes, Allen is our version.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Am not going down the was it or was it not a penalty, Same with the yellow because of the rose tinted glasses view I would have.

Anyway a couple of things from yesterday, Mo Salah and Foden were a different class in game full of international winners. Mo unfortunately continues to do it. He turned internationals inside out, and I have said this before if that goal was scored in game Grimsby v Rochdale it’s good but it’s not a massive game. Yesterday was massive with a befitting goal.
Foden, I have followed his and Sanchos game carefully. Sancho when he left City went onto another level, Foden looked like he was being left behind, his progress was slow and steady. Yesterday showed for me that Foden has made the right decision in staying, yet Sancho seems to have stagnated a bit at Utd. I would like some thoughts on why?

D

Deleted member 15344

Ill say it so you dont have to - Best player in world football at this present moment in time - Mo Salah.

I don’t think there is any doubt imo
I appreciate we can go down a dark alley with this but do you think Fabinho is any different for you? He is your Fernandinho, doing the same job, making the same fouls. That's fine, or not really, but then it's time to stop going on about Fernandinho all the time. It ends up being like the diving debate. Indidentally, yes, Allen is our version.

Fabinho , Viera , Keane etc yes they all play the same role and at times will have to take a yellow card for the team

Fernandino has always imo just taken it a little too far and it’s constantly fouling imo from him , he was at it from the first whistle and it was amazing how many times he got away with it

Players like Rodri , Kante , Jorginho , Fabinho and Allen play that role but its not 90 mins of niggling Fouls from them

D

Deleted member 1740

No absolutely not.

You know my thoughts on tactical fouling, I love it but its also upto the refs to get a grip of it.

Fernandinho is Streets ahead of anyone. It's a compliment and not a complaint.
Jorginho is another, we can go on and on.

People who want yellow cards for every foul need to get out more. You know, rules are rules types ?

Fabinho is our best tactical fouler, I just wish we had a few more like him and at 2-1 yesterday used it too. It may have been a different result.

Mourinho was hailed as the best coach in the world between 2004-2012, every single one of his teams had that snide streak in them.

You do what you do within the laws of the game and its upto the ref to ref it as he sees fit.

D

Deleted member 1740

Am not going down the was it or was it not a penalty, Same with the yellow because of the rose tinted glasses view I would have.

Anyway a couple of things from yesterday, Mo Salah and Foden were a different class in game full of international winners. Mo unfortunately continues to do it. He turned internationals inside out, and I have said this before if that goal was scored in game Grimsby v Rochdale it’s good but it’s not a massive game. Yesterday was massive with a befitting goal.
Foden, I have followed his and Sanchos game carefully. Sancho when he left City went onto another level, Foden looked like he was being left behind, his progress was slow and steady. Yesterday showed for me that Foden has made the right decision in staying, yet Sancho seems to have stagnated a bit at Utd. I would like some thoughts on why?

It wasn't a pen as the tackle was outside the box. If you disagree then you obviously need to go to specsavers Tash?

Difference between Sancho and Foden?

Pep and OGS. It's that simple really

D

Deleted member 1740

Go and listen to Peter Reid and the other other England players v Argentina in 86.

Steve Mcmahon in 89 against arsenal.

There's many more players who wished they'd have taken one for the team to stop a goal.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A foul that deserves a yellow is a foul that that deserves a yellow. Please show me in any rules book where it says anything different. It is this sort of inconsistency that is ruining the game.

Also, nice to see Klopp taking a leaf out of Wenger's book and saying he didn't see the foul :eek:
[/QUOTE]

We all know that, but in the real world that doesnt happen, does it?

A few years ago, the refs went through a stage of sending many players off and the football suffered for it as many games ended up 10 vs 11 (which are normally turgid) and often 10 vs 10 as the ref "made up for it" by sending an opponent off. The game suffered more then IMO. Its like people who say if the foul was on the halfway line it would be a foul, so should be in the box. Again, I understand this sentiment, but do I want to see 5 penalties a game and 3-4 sendings off - no way. Be careful what you wish for.

Separately, should we have gone down to 10 men yesterday - absolutely. Ok, the game would have been different, but as you want an even-handed approach, then send Silva off also.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pep was spot on, it was a disgraceful decision. The sort of decisions that only get given in big games at Old Trafford and Anfield on a regular basis. We all know the refs are rubbish but those grounds have a habit of very suspect decisions. Why no VAR review as that was a clear error.

Excellent game though and the first half showed why City will struggle without a cutting edge. They've gone away to PSG and Liverpool and ran rings around both sides in the first half and scored 0 goals. The second half of both Pep has lost control and been outwitted by Poch and Klopp.

As good as Foden is, very predictable and so one footed. He missed 2 clear chances and scored his toughest one. Mo Salah is different levels this season, he's bounced back from an average season by his standards last year and is without doubt the best player in the world at the moment.
I agree Pep was right. That’s a stonewall yellow every day.
But does the same thing go for Fernandinho at home?
He gets away with a lot.

But given his reaction to the fourth official he should have been following Milner down the tunnel.
Just think of all the youngsters watching that on TV.
No wonder we can’t attract good people into reffing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

can we have one please

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It wasn't a pen as the tackle was outside the box. If you disagree then you obviously need to go to specsavers Tash?

Difference between Sancho and Foden?

Pep and OGS. It's that simple really
If it was outside the box, according to the rules it’s a straight red as there was no attempt at playing the ball. ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes but other managers aren’t accusing the refs of favouring Liverpool and UTD when they get those decisions themselves at home.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes but other managers aren’t accusing the refs of favouring Liverpool and UTD when they get those decisions themselves at home.
No, but it is constantly raised on here by certain Liverpool fans, suggesting that he is repeatedly fouling and does not receive the cards that he should. My viewing of Liverpool is that Fabinho does the same role, makes those same fouls that go unpunished, so to hear the complaints about Fernandinho is pretty hollow and tedious.

Managers talk guff after games, particularly in the immediate aftermath when emotions are high. I stopped listening to postmatch interviews a while ago, they only irritate.