The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think they should do the full investigation and determine whether the account was hacked or set up by a 3rd party .. when that is completed then name shame, fine the social media platform for being complicit and see what happens going forward ??

the fine though should be eye watering like the Ford Pinto case in the late 70s early 80s … this ultimately changed company policy and the car industry.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few odd selections in there. You'd argue Schick was better than Lukaku. Maehle deserves to be in, he was unreal for Denmark. I'm still not sure why they gave Donnarumma the player of the tournament thing, I'd argue Pickford was better across the tournament, but whatever. Was Maguire really that great? I won't object to him being there but perhaps a little surprised.

D

Deleted member 29109

Anyway, looking on the bright side, there is a move afoot in Scotland for the UK to bestow an award on the great sporting icon that is Roberto.
When is the open top parade to show off the we won the tournament 0-0 against England but really were the 4th worst team in the tournament trophy?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think they should do the full investigation and determine whether the account was hacked or set up by a 3rd party .. when that is completed then name shame, fine the social media platform for being complicit and see what happens going forward ??

the fine though should be eye watering like the Ford Pinto case in the late 70s early 80s … this ultimately changed company policy and the car industry.

The trouble is that the only way to strengthen the control over social media is for any participant to provide ID, remove all use of anything but your real name etc. Aside from the issue of sorting that out on a global scale, you then have the argument as to those who are disenfrachised because they do not hold the usual forms of ID that would be required to verify your name and address. You would, effectively, be asking Facebook, Twitter etc to cancel all of their current billions of global account users and start again from scratch.

Sadly I am not sure what the social media answer is as it would appear far too late in the game to try and introduce the measures needed to increase accountability amongst users. Not saying I don't support change, I do, but I am just not sure how to do it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The trouble is that the only way to strengthen the control over social media is for any participant to provide ID, remove all use of anything but your real name etc. Aside from the issue of sorting that out on a global scale, you then have the argument as to those who are disenfrachised because they do not hold the usual forms of ID that would be required to verify your name and address. You would, effectively, be asking Facebook, Twitter etc to cancel all of their current billions of global account users and start again from scratch.

Sadly I am not sure what the social media answer is as it would appear far too late in the game to try and introduce the measures needed to increase accountability amongst users. Not saying I don't support change, I do, but I am just not sure how to do it.
I think a way to stop this scum hacking other peoples accounts would be a start.
How are they able to do that ?
Not very tech savvy but the tech must be able to at least trace the IP adress

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good to see Tyrone Mings calling out Patel for her hypocrisy and pretending to be disgusted by racist abuse. Also Neville calling out BoJo for his letterbox comments..

..What an era to be alive, our footballers are taking a higher moral ground than our so called political masters. If I could vote for Southgate for PM..

(puts on flame suit)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's it funny how someone who posts an abusive message on SM has always had their account hacked?

This.

Plus I suspect what is often meant by having an account hacked is that the phone was left unlocked and unattended and a 'mate' posted the comment or a mate who knows the password did it. I find it highly unlikely that some nefarious hacker spends his Sunday night hacking the socal media accounts of people just to post racist comments on a footballer's timeline. I suspect most of these cases of being hacked are down to stupidity, complicity, lieing or all of the aforementioned.

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe there isn’t a short term answer, unless we use and toughen up the current justice system.

In the long term we need to educate the children so they grow up as more tolerant, dare I say, better adults.

You’ll always have bigots, you’ll always have racists, but we need to have a culture and society that doesn’t tolerate those who act or speak in that way and make it totally unacceptable.

I doubt I’ll be still alive to see it change, but we can only hope for the future.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe there isn’t a short term answer, unless we use and toughen up the current justice system.

In the long term we need to educate the children so they grow up as more tolerant, dare I say, better adults.

You’ll always have bigots, you’ll always have racists, but we need to have a culture and society that doesn’t tolerate those who act or speak in that way and make it totally unacceptable.

I doubt I’ll be still alive to see it change, but we can only hope for the future.

Certainly on a point mentioned earlier, I would like to see an additional charge of wasting police time if there is a claim of being hacked that later proves to be a lie.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A few odd selections in there. You'd argue Schick was better than Lukaku. Maehle deserves to be in, he was unreal for Denmark. I'm still not sure why they gave Donnarumma the player of the tournament thing, I'd argue Pickford was better across the tournament, but whatever. Was Maguire really that great? I won't object to him being there but perhaps a little surprised.

Højbjerg was pony aswell ..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

The number who would claim to be disenfranchised are very small in the grand scheme of things and ultimately we are not talking about the right to vote here, it is the right to be on a social media platform. It's fluff of the highest level. If someone if that bothered about being on there then simply prove who you are. Roll out an update, to keep posting / existing on a platform then someone who runs that platform has to verify who you are. If you can't do that then your account is closed. No need to make it more complicated.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The number who would claim to be disenfranchised are very small in the grand scheme of things and ultimately we are not talking about the right to vote here, it is the right to be on a social media platform. It's fluff of the highest level. If someone if that bothered about being on there then simply prove who you are. Roll out an update, to keep posting / existing on a platform then someone who runs that platform has to verify who you are. If you can't do that then your account is closed. No need to make it more complicated.

But we are not just talking about the UK here, we are talking a global scale operation by what are not even UK companies. With trump still lurking as well, it could easily be a massive right wing call to arms in the US. Just playing devils advocate here on what I can see coming.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Re Maguire, maybe the view from the continent is he was a threat from set pieces, often carried the ball out from defence, and was part of a solid defensive unit.
Did many other CBs score? (Not own goals!)