The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
#ENG XI: Pickford, Shaw, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Rice, Phillips, Mount, Kane, Sterling

Cautious start I suppose.
Subs will be needed!

Saw a hour or so ago (seems early?!) But solid defensive line up

Could be a cagey affair

Cheeky 2-1 with Kane to score the winner

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If that is the side it's way too cautious against a tired and fading Italy. Pace out wide and Mount in the space between Jorginho and the slow centre backs.
It's no real surprise though. GS will no doubt be thinking don't lose it in the first half and add pace later.
Until it doesn't work, I'm with him ???

D

Deleted member 29109

I like it. Italy will have to work very hard to break that that team down.

If England can keep the ball and Italy play their normal game, Italy will run out of gas in the first half.

Then unleash the impact subs. Job jobbed, and home in time for tea and medals.

D

Deleted member 15344

If England really want to host the World Cup in 2030 then their fans today have really screwed that - seems a few times trying to storm the stadium and they have trashed the town ?‍♂️?‍♂️ The videos all over social media aren’t great scenes

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If England really want to host the World Cup in 2030 then their fans today have really screwed that - seems a few times trying to storm the stadium and they have trashed the town ?‍♂️?‍♂️ The videos all over social media aren’t great scenes

still 2 hours to kick off :(

kind of amazing that theyve been able to storm into the stadium, do have to wonder what they were expecting tho :(

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Whilst their actions are appalling.

Our fans have always had these incidents and we still got 96 and these finals.

Plus, they let Russia and Dubai hist world cups and their stances on many human rights issues are much worse than today's events.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Plus, they let Russia and Dubai hist world cups and their stances on many human rights issues are much worse than today's events.

I'm sure those countries have ways of easing the organiser's concerns, if indeed the organisers were concerned about that aspect (and I agree that they should be).

D

Deleted member 15344

I suspect FIFA didn’t give two thoughts about human rights issues - ignoring it because they prob believe it has nothing to do with the sport ( wrongly of course )

England are currently trying to get UEFA body to back their bid - today is the final of their biggest international comp and the scenes aren’t great and there are still a number of hours to go

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally I cannot see anything but an Italy win tonight. They will play a high tempo game, push on to our back line harass and harry, not giving us the freedom to maintain possession in our own half and prevent us playing out from the back. Our back lines will be disconnected from the forwards, we will bypass midfield in an attempt to get the ball forward with hopeful punts, time and time again play will break down as Chiellini marshals his defence like a Roman Centurion....the Italian defensive "know-how" totally stumping our youthful midfield and isolated strikeforce.

Eventually frustration will overcome us, we will lose a man to a red card (probably Rice) for reckless challenges made in desperation to get the ball off the Italians as we chase the game after going a goal down late in the first half. The Italians will shut up shop and use their mastery of the "dark arts" to see out the game comfortably.

We go home and cry into our Best Bitter for another 18 months until once more hopes are raised with the Qatar World Cup (which we haven't a hope in hell of winning due to the heat).

I desperately hope the above is utter tosh but its my way of mentally preparing myself for disappointment.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What goes through your head to think you know what, Ill dig up a tree in Leicester Square and then start throwing it about?????

Probably more related to what’s gone down their throat or up their nose than what goes through their head; if it did cross their mind it wouldn’t be a long journey.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Personally I cannot see anything but an Italy win tonight. They will play a high tempo game, push on to our back line harass and harry, not giving us the freedom to maintain possession in our own half and prevent us playing out from the back. Our back lines will be disconnected from the forwards, we will bypass midfield in an attempt to get the ball forward with hopeful punts, time and time again play will break down as Chiellini marshals his defence like a Roman Centurion....the Italian defensive "know-how" totally stumping our youthful midfield and isolated strikeforce.

Eventually frustration will overcome us, we will lose a man to a red card (probably Rice) for reckless challenges made in desperation to get the ball off the Italians as we chase the game after going a goal down late in the first half. The Italians will shut up shop and use their mastery of the "dark arts" to see out the game comfortably.

We go home and cry into our Best Bitter for another 18 months until once more hopes are raised with the Qatar World Cup (which we haven't a hope in hell of winning due to the heat).

I desperately hope the above is utter tosh but its my way of mentally preparing myself for disappointment.

Well that’s that then. Think I’ll give it a miss. ?