The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve been saying all along England won’t win or go far because they are knackered from a long season.
I might be proved wrong only time will tell.
I bet you there was not one England supporter who couldn’t see Kane was leggy or Sterling however long he stayed out there he was not going to get any better.
Where was Sancho? Once Foden was taken off( another baffling decision) he’s being touted at £120 million but can’t get a run out( although he will next game I’m sure.
Why bring Maguire and Henderson at all? we could have had Lingard and JWP to create.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This competition is a marathon not a sprint!

We did enough by not losing and qualifying for the last 16 is really the only important matter. Scotland will always try harder than us in a Scotland v England match as it means more to them.

Generally the teams that do best in these tournaments improve as the competition moves on and hopefully the best England team will become obvious and we stay relatively injury free

If Scotland have had their "cup final" good luck to them, they played better than us but they are NOT a better team

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder what the players think in all this.
Do they just accept the blandness of selection or speak out in team meetings.
They must basically have the same opinion as the fans or do they?
There is only one man in the country that thinks two holding midfielders is a good idea.
Sterling should start.
Foden was the worst player so sub him.
Kane should start but he looks less than 100%
Rashford is better than DCL.
The list is longer but it’s GS and Unfortunatly he makes these decisions.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lest we forget folks - we achieved our ambition last night (or at least the manager's ambition)...we didn't lose.

Set up not to lose and hope for a win! Let's hope this is Southgate's last tournament.

Problem with that is if it is his last we only have 18 months to set up for the next one

We have so much talent but insist on sticking with names

He said when we took over players would be picked on form not names

In that case Henderson shouldnt be there. Hasn't played since Feb. Out of form

Sterling , poor season , out of form

Tripper , wins league, in form. Played out of position then dropped

Lingard, wardprowse .. both in Great form. Left at home

Sounds like every other England manager to me

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I just check in case I missed anything, how many did Scotland win by? Cold light of day, still didn't score, only have 1 point, have to beat Croatia or will be going home. For all the euphoria is getting a point in a nil nil against England really the height of ambitions?

Fully agree with all of the comments re England already posted. Gareth, dust your waistcoat off, unshackle the players.

Anyone still suggesting Pickford doesn't deserve his place? Another solid performance in an England shirt.

When you have diddies like Stephen O'Donnell and Grant Hanley in your back line alongside a boy thats a half decent midfielder but not a defender, then yes. Yes, it is.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was painful to watch. I would love to know how many passes were made made in a backwards direction. Finally when Grealish came on we had someone who was at least trying to get at the Scottish defence and give it a go. HOw the hell did we have 60% possesion and only mange 9 attempts on goal and one on target? Scotland had 40% and managed 11 shots and 2 on target.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
This competition is a marathon not a sprint!

We did enough by not losing and qualifying for the last 16 is really the only important matter. Scotland will always try harder than us in a Scotland v England match as it means more to them.

Generally the teams that do best in these tournaments improve as the competition moves on and hopefully the best England team will become obvious and we stay relatively injury free

If Scotland have had their "cup final" good luck to them, they played better than us but they are NOT a better team

How many pints of BITTER did you have last night? :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve been saying all along England won’t win or go far because they are knackered from a long season.
I might be proved wrong only time will tell.
I bet you there was not one England supporter who couldn’t see Kane was leggy or Sterling however long he stayed out there he was not going to get any better.
Where was Sancho? Once Foden was taken off( another baffling decision) he’s being touted at £120 million but can’t get a run out( although he will next game I’m sure.
Why bring Maguire and Henderson at all? we could have had Lingard and JWP to create.

Isn't this the same old excuse we hear all the time for England...........It has been a long season. Other teams manage to turn up and play after a long season.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Like someone said earlier. This was your cup final. It was just another game for England.

See you in the next round ?

and thats the problem with England....the modern crop of players dont "get it".....they've not a clue about what the oldest International football fixture actually means. The passion and desire that the Scots bring to the game was there for all to see from the moment the anthems were played. The Scots were up for it, the Engliish didn't realise that they would have to work so much harder....the moment you start slowly it is really difficult to drag the momentum upwards, you give the opposition hope, which fuels their desire further, they work harder, show more commitment which in turn forces you to up your game.

Far to many players in white shirts natural instinct last night was to look backwards rather than forwards. What Rice is doing on an international pitch I really dont know. Kane looks jaded and like someones filled his boots with concrete. Sterling couldnt trap a bag of sand last night. There was no connection between the defence, midfield and attack...too far apart and unable to support each other.

It would be unfair on Scotland to just say that they outworked England. In truth they played the better football, looked like they had a plan, created the best opportunities. Should in all honesty have won the game. Well done to them. Don't think it will be enough mind...I suspect Croatia will beat them and England will play out a turgid draw with Czech Rep to finish second and avoid Germany/France/Portugal.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you have diddies like Stephen O'Donnell and Grant Hanley in your back line alongside a boy thats a half decent midfielder but not a defender, then yes. Yes, it is.
That imo is why DCL should have come on for Kane .
Throw a few crosses in and see what happens.
Not pretty but what we were doing was not working .

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just like the last Euro's when England lost to Iceland.
The players do not want to be there. They would prefer to be in Ibiza (travel permitting).
'Gaffer, can you get me out of the England game' as claimed by one Prem manager.
No pride, no passion, no hope.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't this the same old excuse we hear all the time for England...........It has been a long season. Other teams manage to turn up and play after a long season.
Maybe
However our game is played quicker than any other league.
More games higher intensity
Take Kane for example he honestly looks shot,he’s not sharp,he’s definitely not 100% fit but it seems he’s un droppable.
I would rest him next game and maybe bring him back.
However if CL scores 2 or 3 then maybe not.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe
Take Kane for example he honestly looks shot,he’s not sharp,he’s definitely not 100% fit but it seems he’s un droppable.
The ironic thing is though that the Italians who traditionally play a slow solid game, score then shut up shop are playing football taken form the City/Liverpool playbooks and are managed by Mancini whos had time here. If they can play that way, why can't our manager see the benefit of it or is it only the foriegn managers who can see it's an attractive and effective way to play (Guadiola/Klopp/Mancini etc)?
Just because our players are paid so much and are probably the highest earners in Europe doesn't make them the best.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe

IS it that he is not fit, or just fed up with never getting any supply. Together with Son they play quickly and move it fast between them. With England it is just so slow from going from back to front. They win the ball back and do not move it forward giving the other team a chacne to get the defence set, instead of cathing them out of position. Kane is having to drop back into midfield to try and get a touch, instead of being up top recieving the ball for quick inter changes with Sterling. Worse thing is he is dropping into the area Mount plays in, causing it to get crowded.