The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
For fear of being branded an armchair expert, I’ll say it all the same. The changes should have been Grealish for Sterling, Calvert-Lewin for Kane and Sancho at the expense of one of the two defensive midfielders. At least two of those three changes are not rocket science.

Rashford? Sorry, he’s been woeful for months, and certainly isn’t good enough to play through the middle at this level. And taking Foden off was one of the most bizarre bits of management I’ve seen in a long time.

A good number of my golfing mates gave up on watching England a long time ago, citing the fact that they simply no longer entertain. With the players at their disposal they should be far more inspiring but Southgate simply refuses to release the handbrake.

I’ll watch the game on Tuesday because it’s tournament football. Otherwise I wouldn’t be remotely interested. Absolutely turgid stuff.
Spot on mate

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why on earth do you go into a tournament with the aim to play different full backs each game

Tripper on the right today with Shaw would have been better delivery even tho James put in a shift

Rice and Phillips? One or other please . Drop mount back to be box to box or bring in Bellingham next to one of those boys.

Sterling? Awful, as he has been most of the year.

Southgate needs more bottle

Grealish for foden? Almost like for like

Grealish for sterling, rice or Phillips then your talking about a change of system and game

Kane doesn't look right but I don't think the service is there

It's like we have one of the best strikers in the world but play in a way to not complement him

The Dog.

Visit site
England absolutely abysmal. I think much of their desperate display has to come from their manager who looks like he’d be better suited to a bridle and saddle rather than the managerial dugout. Red Rum in human form.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very well played Scotland deserved a win, let’s hope it wasn’t all in vain and you can produce the same performance in the next game.
We were dire and as others have said Southgates substitution of Foden was bizarre clearly our best player on the night.
Thought Mings had a very solid game enough to keep Maguire on the bench.
Pickford one great save and very solid all round.
Sterling 100% should have been taken off,Southgate has so many attacking options at his disposal why he refuses to trust them is baffling.
Obviously now having qualified we need changes and play some of these players and get them into the tournament.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I just check in case I missed anything, how many did Scotland win by? Cold light of day, still didn't score, only have 1 point, have to beat Croatia or will be going home. For all the euphoria is getting a point in a nil nil against England really the height of ambitions?

Fully agree with all of the comments re England already posted. Gareth, dust your waistcoat off, unshackle the players.

Anyone still suggesting Pickford doesn't deserve his place? Another solid performance in an England shirt.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can I just check in case I missed anything, how many did Scotland win by? Cold light of day, still didn't score, only have 1 point, have to beat Croatia or will be going home. For all the euphoria is getting a point in a nil nil against England really the height of ambitions?

Fully agree with all of the comments re England already posted. Gareth, dust your waistcoat off, unshackle the players.

Anyone still suggesting Pickford doesn't deserve his place? Another solid performance in an England shirt.

How does he do well for England but rubbish for Everton? Better players in front?

Poor game

Need foden and grealish together with mayb Sancho

Sterling has had an awful season and it continues

D

Deleted member 16999

How does he do well for England but rubbish for Everton? Better players in front?

Poor game

Need foden and grealish together with mayb Sancho

Sterling has had an awful season and it continues
He’s not rubbish for Everton, he’s been inconsistent, every keeper has bad games and he’s had his fair share, it doesn’t make him rubbish.

As I’ve said many times, if Dean Henderson was fit and playing regular he’d be England’s No1 for me.

Pickford aint the best, but he’s far from rubbish.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Total dross.

Bin Kane and Stirling now.
Swap Southgate for Howe.
Why do England maangers jst play their own favourite players regardless of how crap they are?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He’s not rubbish for Everton, he’s been inconsistent, every keeper has bad games and he’s had his fair share, it doesn’t make him rubbish.

As I’ve said many times, if Dean Henderson was fit and playing regular he’d be England’s No1 for me.

Pickford aint the best, but he’s far from rubbish.

Much as I like Henderson , is he just not another Pickford (as he was for Sunderland) facing so many shots (when at Sheffield United) it makes him look better than he is as he is always switched on.. much like fabainski for us and Swansea compared to fabainski for arsenal . As he was expected to do nothing for 70 mins and then just switch on

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve not seen lots of Foden tbh,but what I have seen he does look class.
Today they all looked average at best.
...or were, at least in part, they were made to look average by a very together and organised bunch of Scottish lads playing some decent football. That Scotland didn’t score...well at least we didn’t do our usual mess up of last 25yrs - and it’s that which is for me the most pleasing aspect of last nights game.

Others here will tell you of the same feeling we have experienced watching our RU boys in blue, all the years of potentially great running rugby blunted by an inability to get a move going properly as passes were missed, knocked-on, fumbled or dropped...scrummage, ruck and line-out penalties conceded etc...just ask @Val...why the Calcutta Cup win this year was and remains so special ????????

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Grealish will make things happen. Win a lot of free kicks aswell which would be a chance at least

His biggest asset seems to be the ability to fall over whenever anyone comes near him. Not surprised he is the most "fouled" player in the EPL. Certainly "wins" lots of free kicks.

Anything could happen on Tuesday, all 4 teams have been poor, definitely the weakest group in the comp.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If you look at the formation 4-3-3

Four at the back, 2 def midfielders with mount in the middle, then three up front. It’s like he is playing a diamond with mount at the base. The problem is that when Foden and others were making runs forward Into spaces 2 of the three with the ball were def midfielders. They just could not make the passes that ( unlike when Sterling scored in the first game. If we get through to the last 16 and we should. That formation is going to get tanked big style by one of the better teams.

Either of Phillips or Rice should be dropped. Sterling should be dropped for Grealish and Kane should be rested. He is playing for a move to Burnley at this rate. The England squad is rammed with youthful energy, the problem is even if they do play. Southgate is massively out of his depth in coaching that talent.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yep not played well in England’s opening 2 games,but got the golden boot whilst playing for a team that finished 7th.
That’s why someone will pay big money for him ??

Just hope it’s not City. Him and Sterling in the same team could have me singing “ country road take me home”.