The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jota has 14 goals in 43 caps. Not exactly overwhelming. I'm still not sure if he's a striker or a winger. Goncalo Ramos looks a great prospect though, 8 goals in 14. I suspect he'll be the one to take over. As long as he can keep himself in the side at PSG, which I've no idea about.
I suspect most of Jota's caps are 10 minutes at the end of a game, replacing Ronaldo. He is clinical for Liverpool, I'm sure he would score more for Portugal if given a start.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Jota has 14 goals in 43 caps. Not exactly overwhelming. I'm still not sure if he's a striker or a winger. Goncalo Ramos looks a great prospect though, 8 goals in 14. I suspect he'll be the one to take over. As long as he can keep himself in the side at PSG, which I've no idea about.

Jota has started 21 games out of that - has scored in 11 of the games he has started

He is a forward , playing through the middle for us , he is a goalscorer

The thing with Jota and also Ramos will be their flexibility and movement , they aren’t just stuck through the middle , they can float across

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes it is but why is he still picking Ronaldo when these two lads warm the bench.?
I guess if you are comparing scoring records, Ronaldo has scored more goals for Portugal in his last 21 starts than Jota has done in his 21 starts. So, perhaps some think that Ronaldo is still the man who is more likely to put the ball in the back of the net. But, it is obviously a debate that can go on endlessley, as we can't go back in time and start Jota instead and see what happens.

As for Ramos, don't know much about him but obviously got a decent score record. Probably will be the man to take over. But, having read a bit about him, was his career not hampered with a fairly serious virus last year that hospitalised him, and lose a decent amount of weight. And currently, he is out injured after getting a pretty serious injury at the start of the season

PaulMdj

Visit site
From Ronaldo making his debut for Portugal and him playing they have a win % of 76%, games without him in that period their win % is 57%

Figures up to March 24.

Maybe both he and Portugal are not ready for him to retire.🤷‍♂️

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think we’re discussing recent Euros matches so after March 24 🤷🏻‍♂️
It started with last night, in which he scored and they won.

Just about every team bar Spain were poor in the Euros. Portugal topped their group and went out on pens to Spain in the quarters.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Ronaldo saga reminds me of Chelsea and United where player power clearly dictated what side a manager would pick. It is the fault of the Portuguese FA for not backing any manager that drops him. They will need to move forward from him at some point and the stats seem to indicate he isn't doing it as a starter so now would be the time