The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In fairness, I don't know anything about how clubs sign their Academy players, but have no real issue with Academy players being allowed to go top clubs at a young age. For example, if the next young superstar was born in Bangor, Northern Ireland or Lincoln, I think it would serve them best if they could go to the academy of a top club and try and develop that potential.

But, I wasn't sure they signed them for millions and millions? I think Connor Gallagher was sold for £34 million, which was £34 million profit to Chelsea. I doubt Chelsea acquired Gallagher £25.5 million when he joined at 6 years old? If he had, then only allowing 25% profit on his sale would make more sense (i.e. the post I was replying to)
It's certainly predominantly profit. Big sums can change hands but I don't think they are into 7 figures yet. So far...........

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Well lets be honest Tash, we dont actually know what City have done to get to the top of the table, only that they must have spent money beyond belief.

I think the fact that Pep is not renewing is telling, genuinely don't know what his next challenge is, he's managed in 3 countries and dominated them all, the only major footballing nation with a great league left for him is Italy and there's no teams there that could afford what pep demands (in terms of players)
I think the problem is that rules were put in place “ to protect football clubs from going “.
1, it didn’t happen. And still does not.
2, everyone believes it was put in place to protect those at the top table.

City have overspent, but got off on a technicality in the sense that the rules they broke, according to UEFAs rules, they were out of date. Or time barred. The premier league have no time bar on them. But City had to spend to get a seat at that table.
When I look at the club now re team, stadium, infrastructure, employing locals, Acadamy, Manager. I am over the moon. Compare that to how Utd and Chelsea are run. I will take the fine and points deductions all day. If found guilty.
Re Pep going, I think it is easier to determine the outcome of Citys 115 charges. Apparently City have offered Pep shares in the club to stay in some capacity. So watch this space on that one.
The club are now financially in a fantastic place. And looking again at Chelsea. I would be worried if I was a Chelsea fan re the direction the club is going. Bottom line how many hotels can you sell to stay within financial fair play.
Personally I think there is going to be a bit of upheaval within football over the next few years.
UEFA going on record and saying there is to much football being played.
FIFA wanting a bigger club World Cup.
Something is going to give.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
City might have over spent & paid over the odds on transfer fees & wages when they first got the money.
But they certainly got a right in more recent years.
Man Utd,Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal have all spent a fortune trying to catch them & how many prem titles have they won in the past 10year? 🤷‍♂️

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When did the last Prem club go bust? Are the top, top players sold for a lesser price to the clubs out of the top 6? Can the lower clubs, if they get a sugar daddy, spend at the level of the top 6?

By default, does FFP/PSR protect the top 6? That’s a closed, loaded question but just what is the reality?? Will there ever be another Leicester breaking through or is the day of clubs breaking into the top 6 gone? Newcastle might answer that question.

Gut feel; the fans of top 6 clubs are deluded if they think they are achieving the league position fairly, but do they care? Fans of the tier of clubs just below are paying out money to watch their team do no better than 7th. It isn’t going to change…

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
City might have over spent & paid over the odds on transfer fees & wages when they first got the money.
But they certainly got a right in more recent years.
Man Utd,Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal have all spent a fortune trying to catch them & how many prem titles have they won in the past 10year? 🤷‍♂️
Can I answer that. 🤞

PaulMdj

Visit site
At least L'pool and United did it with funds generated from within their clubs rather than imported money brought in by their mega wealthy new owners.
No they didn’t, look at the Utd debt under the Glazers and Lpool pre FSG, Lpool escaped UEFA punishment under ffp as FSG proved they weren’t responsible.

Utd and Lpool hsve received millions from both the middle east and the far east, but once again, a little bit of dirty money is OK, a lot is bad.

Swango1980

Visit site
When did the last Prem club go bust? Are the top, top players sold for a lesser price to the clubs out of the top 6? Can the lower clubs, if they get a sugar daddy, spend at the level of the top 6?

By default, does FFP/PSR protect the top 6? That’s a closed, loaded question but just what is the reality?? Will there ever be another Leicester breaking through or is the day of clubs breaking into the top 6 gone? Newcastle might answer that question.

Gut feel; the fans of top 6 clubs are deluded if they think they are achieving the league position fairly, but do they care? Fans of the tier of clubs just below are paying out money to watch their team do no better than 7th. It isn’t going to change…
That final paragraph, it is all relative. You could argue any fan of a Premier League club are deluded if they think they are in the Premier League fairly?

Surely clubs like Everton, West Ham, Crystal Palace, etc. all have significantly more money than Lincoln City, Kidderminster Harriers and Gainsborough Trinity?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can’t argue with that,massively over achieved in the league.

But if you win
Champions league
La Liga
Spanish Super Cup
Uefa Super Cup

plus they Love Real & Barca.

Vinicius will probably win the players Ballon d’Or.
Personally id give it to Rodri.
Clearly Carlo had a good year 😂. And yes, they love all things Spanish so he probably will get it. I just think that the achievement of Alonso was greater, the leap his team made was bigger.

Just opinions though 🤷

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Clearly Carlo had a good year 😂. And yes, they love all things Spanish so he probably will get it. I just think that the achievement of Alonso was greater, the leap his team made was bigger.

Just opinions though 🤷
Pretty much the same as when managers massively over achieve in the prem,but they give it to who ever wins the league.