The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
So, it appears Leicester City have dodged a points deduction owing to a technicality.

It would seem, as they were no longer a Premier League club when they were “charged” with breaching PSR rules, that they argued that the Premier League had no jurisdiction over the outcome. And that argument seems to have been upheld.

Be interested to hear the thoughts of Everton and Forest fans on this one.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, it appears Leicester City have dodged a points deduction owing to a technicality.

It would seem, as they were no longer a Premier League club when they were “charged” with breaching PSR rules, that they argued that the Premier League had no jurisdiction over the outcome. And that argument seems to have been upheld.

Foundation stones laid. Just watch - around 115 or so “technicalities” will now be upheld when it comes to dealing with Man City.

Well done, powers that be. 👏👏👏

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Wow

That’s a right bottle job

Let me guess - the EFL can’t punish them because they are no longer in the EFL ?

Didnt Forest get punished due to EFL spending as well

Billysboots

Visit site
Wow

Let me guess - the EFL can’t punish them because they are no longer in the EFL ?

It relates to a rules breach when they were a Premier League club. But because they were charged by the Premier League when they were in the EFL they argued, ultimately successfully, that the Premier League had no jurisdiction.

It all boils down to the wording of the rules, which I’m guessing sets out that the Premier League cannot charge an EFL club with rules breaches, or something along those lines.

They’ve basically dodged a points deduction, and potentially relegation at the end of this season, because of hair splitting. I have a number of friends who are season ticket holders at Leicester and they were fully expecting a minimum 10 point deduction.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow

We weren’t on a level playing field with everyone else. In the three year cycle in question, two of those years were when we were in the Championship and therefore weren’t allowed as high a figure of losses as literally everyone else in the Prem.

We pointed it out during our defence, but it was dismissed.

Shame for Forest about the timing really. Had it happened, say, a short while before Man City were facing changes, we may have been allowed similar leniency in order to set a precedent.

Not that I think the whole system is bent in favour of the big guys, you understand. 👍

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It’s a nonsense. If they’ve broken the rules, then they should be sanctioned for breaking the rules.

This silliness, where an individual or company avoids punishment for a clear offence merely because of a petty technicality, absolutely grinds my gears.
The problem is once more Billy is that The premier league once more did not know its own rules. One can argue that Leicester
“ got off on a technicality”. Me I prefer to think the Premier league has screwed up.
Again your pals expected a deduction, but like Citys fans and neutral fans we don’t know the full story, so rumours and hope fuels the want of clubs being found guilty.
The days of innocent until proven guilty are a long time gone.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
It relates to a rules breach when they were a Premier League club. But because they were charged by the Premier League when they were in the EFL they argued, ultimately successfully, that the Premier League had no jurisdiction.

It all boils down to the wording of the rules, which I’m guessing sets out that the Premier League cannot charge an EFL club with rules breaches, or something along those lines.

They’ve basically dodged a points deduction, and potentially relegation at the end of this season, because of hair splitting. I have a number of friends who are season ticket holders at Leicester and they were fully expecting a minimum 10 point deduction.
...and if the rules are written badly that allows interpretation with respect to the principles of (I guess it applies here) English Law and doubt as to the position Leicester were in, then they surely cant be found guilty?

If rules need some interpretation then they cant be called rules....just guidelines.

Maybe they need the R&A to go and write the PSR regulations. :D

Billysboots

Visit site
...and if the rules are written badly that allows interpretation with respect to the principles of (I guess it applies here) English Law and doubt as to the position Leicester were in, then they surely cant be found guilty?

If rules need some interpretation then they cant be called rules....just guidelines.

Maybe they need the R&A to go and write the PSR regulations. :D

Totally agree - this is a Premier League cock up, pure and simple. It seems that those responsible for writing the rules haven’t scripted them anywhere near tightly enough.

But nobody seems to be denying Leicester have breached the rules. Not even Leicester themselves. They’re merely arguing, as they are entirely entitled to do, that they cannot be enforced in the way the Premier League are seeking to enforce them.

That doesn’t sit right at all.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Totally agree - this is a Premier League cock up, pure and simple. It seems that those responsible for writing the rules haven’t scripted them anywhere near tightly enough.

But nobody seems to be denying Leicester have breached the rules. Not even Leicester themselves. They’re merely arguing, as they are entirely entitled to do, that they cannot be enforced in the way the Premier League are seeking to enforce them.

That doesn’t sit right at all.
One of the things I think is wrong is that if a club is limited to what it can spend according to what it has earned in the last three years. If two of those years are in the championship. There spending cap is shocking compared to the rest of the league. It then begs the question how is that fair. 🤔

Billysboots

Visit site
One of the things I think is wrong is that if a club is limited to what it can spend according to what it has earned in the last three years. If two of those years are in the championship. There spending cap is shocking compared to the rest of the league. It then begs the question how is that fair. 🤔

The point here though, Tash, is not the rules themselves. There seems to be a widespread acceptance that Leicester didn’t appeal this on the grounds that they hadn’t breached the rules. Merely that, as an EFL club, the Premier League could not charge them with breaches, despite those breaches occurring when they were a Premier League club.

That just seems a bit daft.

Billysboots

Visit site

This puts a little more meat on the bones, and muddies the waters a little. It’s not quite as straightforward as was initially reported earlier this evening.

It’s all to do with Leicester’s accounting period ending after they ceased to be a Premier League club. Their argument seems to be that they could have sold players to balance the books during the extended accounting period to balance the books, even though they didn’t.

Effectively, they successfully claimed they could not be subject to Premier League rules owing to the fact that, during a few short weeks at the end of their accounting period, they were an EFL club.

All a bit of a mess.

4LEX

Visit site
The PL and EFL are two separate entities, they have different rules. The EFL have a wages to turnover ratio rule and the PL have various other means to enforce unsustainable spending. All are unfit for purpose IMO.

Birmingham City are the next club that will push the limits and likely be charged in a few years time!

Tashyboy

Visit site
The PL and EFL are two separate entities, they have different rules. The EFL have a wages to turnover ratio rule and the PL have various other means to enforce unsustainable spending. All are unfit for purpose IMO.

Birmingham City are the next club that will push the limits and likely be charged in a few years time!
Chuck in Europe FFP and there’s more of a mess. Then Chuck into that, other European countries have a different time of when the transfer window shuts and bottom line it is a mess.

4LEX

Visit site

This puts a little more meat on the bones, and muddies the waters a little. It’s not quite as straightforward as was initially reported earlier this evening.

It’s all to do with Leicester’s accounting period ending after they ceased to be a Premier League club. Their argument seems to be that they could have sold players to balance the books during the extended accounting period to balance the books, even though they didn’t.

Effectively, they successfully claimed they could not be subject to Premier League rules owing to the fact that, during a few short weeks at the end of their accounting period, they were an EFL club.

All a bit of a mess.

It does look like Forest have found a loophole and the PL can't counter it, which is a really bad look for them. All that money, all those lawyers and they get embarrassed by a promoted club. I think Man City will be rubbing their hands with glee.