The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most strikers only look back at the whole team when the opponents have the ball.
Where a CB ( my choice) sees the whole picture when they have the ball and when we have the ball.

If it’s the coin toss only just put the luckiest one there.😂
CBs may see the whole picture, but what do they actually do as a captain that a good centre back doesn't do? You shouldn't need the captains armband to shout at people to track back, mark, tackle etc. Captains are pretty pointless in football and (imo) a lot of people overthink the role.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
CBs may see the whole picture, but what do they actually do as a captain that a good centre back doesn't do? You shouldn't need the captains armband to shout at people to track back, mark, tackle etc. Captains are pretty pointless in football and (imo) a lot of people overthink the role.
Yes we probably do.
But he’s going to be the only one who can talk to the ref soon so you need a competent guy who can ask a question without swearing or insulting the ref.

You need the respect of the other players as well.
It’s an important role imo.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes we probably do.
But he’s going to be the only one who can talk to the ref soon so you need a competent guy who can ask a question without swearing or insulting the ref.

You need the respect of the other players as well.
It’s an important role imo.
It is getting more like rugby in as much as referees will only speak to a captain, although some refs still make a rod for their own back and try and deal with the masses around them. It is becoming a more important role for sure

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
'Mon The Tractor Boys.
I shall be cheering them on as I adopted them as my English team.
I lived in Suffolk for five years in the mid 1970's and watched a few home games.
Fabulous team then with a great ground and fans.
I hope they can repeat history

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ipswich are very quietly going about some clever business, imo. Philips on loan, the top scorer in the league from Blackburn last year. Relatively low expenditure, no big ripples in the dressing room.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So the season starts in a couple of hours and the banter aka falling out with others starts on the forum. 😁
That aside City have done four in a row. Out of those four Arsenal and Liverpool have blown it 3 times whilst in the driving seat.
Could City be on for an unprecedented 5. Who knows but I have a feeling It could be Arsenals year.
I think the league is tougher this season with once more weekly shock results on the cards. Hope so

PaulMdj

Visit site
Changes this season, from BBC Website:

The video assistant referee system will have a higher bar for intervening than before.

The "referee’s call" means that the VAR should only intervene if they can "see without any doubt the on-pitch official has made a clear mistake".

Otherwise the initial decision will stand. That means fewer stoppages for marginal decisions to be repeatedly rewatched.

"Let’s have the confidence to not be too forensic on our analysis," is what refereeing boss Howard Webb has said.

The Premier League Match Centre account on social media platform X will post "near-live" explanations of VAR decisions.

It plans to show more replays and explain decisions on the big screens in stadiums, too.

We will see a significant drop in stoppage time this season - because of a change in timing goal celebrations.

Until now time was added on for every second between the ball hitting the net and the kick-off being taken.

Now the clock will only be started after 30 seconds. So a game with six goals would have three minutes less of stoppage time.

Attacking players blocking or obstructing opposition players at a set-piece will be penalised more strictly.

Ben White was trending on social media with the suggestion the Arsenal defender's actions from corners will result in more opposition free-kicks.

The handball law will be relaxed a tad. Players have been told by the Premier League they do not have to move with their arms rigidly by their sides or behind their backs.

The position of their arm or hand will be judged in relation to the movement of their body.

"We get a sense that we give too many handballs for actions that are quite normal and justifiable," said Webb.

"The guidance to officials this season is less is more. You will see fewer harsh handball penalties."

Meanwhile, a non-deliberate handball that leads to a penalty will no longer be an automatic booking offence.

During penalties the ball must be on or hanging over the centre of the penalty spot, rather than at any point on the spot.

Encroachment by players into the box when the penalty is taken will only be penalised if it has an impact.

That means if an opposition player has an impact on the kicker or prevents a goal or chance from a rebound.

If it is a penalty taker's team-mate, the encroachment is relevant if they impact or distract the goalkeeper, scores or creates a chance.

Ball boys and girls will be allowed to give a ball to a goalkeeper to take a restart, instead of the keeper having to pick it up off a cone. The multiball system - picking the ball off a cone - will remain for outfield players.

One more tiny change - five substitutes can warm up at the same time on the touchline, up from three.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Ipswich are very quietly going about some clever business, imo. Philips on loan, the top scorer in the league from Blackburn last year. Relatively low expenditure, no big ripples in the dressing room.
Yes....i thought Szmodics was a good buy for them...thought that he might have done a job for Newcastle but probably the "Toon Tax" was going to apply and the fee would have been 25 mil plus :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes....i thought Szmodics was a good buy for them...thought that he might have done a job for Newcastle but probably the "Toon Tax" was going to apply and the fee would have been 25 mil plus :LOL:
DCL is still available. We'll drop to £15m and a free Greggs pasties for everyone at the next home game 😆

I agree incidentally, same with Brereton Diaz who went to Southampton. Isaak will be your starter, both of those would have been interesting cover, last 20 mins etc, assuming Wilson leaves before the window closes.

RichA

Visit site
Fernandes playing as a false nine. I hate it. No focal point and it shows.
Most exciting league in the word, supposedly, and there are only actually a couple of genuine strikers. Almost all of the actual number nines are false nines. I find the extinction of traditional goal-hanging opportunists a bit strange.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most exciting league in the word, supposedly, and there are only actually a couple of genuine strikers. Almost all of the actual number nines are false nines. I find the extinction of traditional goal-hanging opportunists a bit strange.
Me to .
Bring back the Tony Hatelys and Peter Crouches proper CFs. 😂😂😂