The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Walker was poor defensively and offered nothing going forward - he was poor for both of the goals tonight and has been poor throughout the whole tournament- he should have been dropped along with others

TAA offers significantly more going forward than Walker
How much threat going forward should Walker have provided, as one of the back 3?

I assumed it was primarily Shaw and Saka who were used to provide attacking width. TAA would never be played in Walker's position tonight. Perhaps he'd be played in Saka's position. But, Saka is better than TAA, hence Saka starts.

As for Walker's performance. He was up against one of the player's of the tournament, who played in the best side of the tournament. There was every chance that Spain would produce some great moments tonight, getting the better of England players in those moments. It doesn't make those England players rubbish, it just means tonight the Spanish got the better of them. We all know how bad TAA is at defending, so there would have been every chance he'd have been torn to shreds by the Spanish

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Is that GS the brilliant man manager.
He made a right mess of the White situation.

TAA isn’t a right back imo Klopp never really played him as such.
He’s more important going forward than defending that’s always been the case imo of course.

Walker played well but we were undone by some very good football ,but basic mistakes just made it a bit easier for them.

England finally have some very good CB’s and a very good DM

You then give the full backs the license to get up the pitch to support the wide players - look who created their winner - the left back

TAA with Saka would be frightening and would scare any team

Needs a huge change in mindset to stop thinking so negatively and defensively and take the game to the opposition- it’s what the players do week in week out at Club level

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All I’m saying is Trent isnt the answer when it comes to what was missing tonight.
he’s not good enough to change the team to shoe horn him in imo.
Yes I see your point defensively.

But when Watkins was put on we never had anybody who could put a ball to him it was square and backwards all night.

I don’t think Rice knows there’s a left wing on the pitch.
If it’s not square it’s looking for Saka.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
😂

One has 9 Prem assists - the other 58

TAA has had more in season than White has in his career

View attachment 54210

Yes dominated the game

You believe that’s dominated, and that’s fine. Statistics are only absolute in the abstract. As soon as a human applies an interpretation they can be subjective. How many matches have you watched down the years where the “dominant” team has lost? Spain had the majority of the play and chances but not for the full 90+mins.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I see your point defensively.

But when Watkins was put on we never had anybody who could put a ball to him it was square and backwards all night.

I don’t think Rice knows there’s a left wing on the pitch.
If it’s not square it’s looking for Saka.

I could not believe how bad rice looked this tournament. He been one of our best players the past 2 tournaments

Stand by my hypothesis. Once a player gets their big move and established in the England team they get complacent. No way would rice or Bellingham not start but both looked average in a lot of games. Bellingham trying to beat a man 4 times in a row then losing it

Where as mainoo and Palmer , young hungry players. Eager to show they deserve to be in that team.. outstanding performances

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

You then give the full backs the license to get up the pitch to support the wide players - look who created their winner - the left back

Needs a huge change in mindset to stop thinking so negatively and defensively and take the game to the opposition- it’s what the players do week in week out at Club level

TAA is prone to go walkabout. At his best, phenomenal. But he doesn’t always play his best… is he next choice? Probably but I wouldn’t rule out someone else pushing him for that spot.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I could not believe how bad rice looked this tournament. He been one of our best players the past 2 tournaments

Stand by my hypothesis. Once a player gets their big move and established in the England team they get complacent. No way would rice or Bellingham not start but both looked average in a lot of games. Bellingham trying to beat a man 4 times in a row then losing it

Where as mainoo and Palmer , young hungry players. Eager to show they deserve to be in that team.. outstanding performances
Mainoo had his worst performance of the tournament tonight, imo, which led to Palmer replacing him.

PaulMdj

Visit site
TAA is prone to go walkabout. At his best, phenomenal. But he doesn’t always play his best… is he next choice? Probably but I wouldn’t rule out someone else pushing him for that spot.
He’s the next best if we play 5 at the back, but he wouldn’t be my choice in a back 4.

4LEX

Visit site
Is that GS the brilliant man manager.
He made a right mess of the White situation.

TAA isn’t a right back imo Klopp never really played him as such.
He’s more important going forward than defending that’s always been the case imo of course.

Walker played well but we were undone by some very good football ,but basic mistakes just made it a bit easier for them.

I could go into this for hours really but with a 352/532/3421 I would've had Walker RCB and TAA as RWB for most of the tournament. I've got nothing against TAA at all. He's without doubt the best set piece taker we have and crosser.

Southgate picked the right team tonight though and any fantasies TAA would've made a difference are laughable.

D

Deleted member 29109

Dan James if he stays fit. Or Ben White if Gaz goes.

TAA has had a chance in this tournament and wasn’t good enough. We don’t need to see any more of him.

4LEX

Visit site

England don't have a DM. Rice and Mainoo aren't DM's.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mainoo had his worst performance of the tournament tonight, imo, which led to Palmer replacing him.

TAA’s failing is also Walker’s failing in this tournament. Allowing players to get behind him. The difference is Walker chases back, but is finding that harder now, TAA sometimes doesn’t bother chasing back. If TAA sort that out it will be one of the first on the team sheet.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It's an attacking roll of the dice nothing more really. You can't take rice off because if you need to go defensive he slots back (or is meant to) but can push forward
Same against Holland, but he swapped Palmer for Foden, could of done that again tonight, but, imo, Mainoo was the poorer of the midfield players, he looked lost.