The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

4LEX

Visit site
Southgate to blame for the first 4 games, we picked up a bit and got lucky against the Swiss. Our one decent performance was against Holland. Tonight was good and bad.

Over the whole tournament that isn't good enough to win. Seven games and only one top level performance.

Southgate has to go and we need a serious manager in to get the best out of this squad.

END OF STORY.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Because we don’t currently have those English CB’s LPool & City have more better technical and non-English players in that role.

City have Stones there , Guehi has shown he is good enough and Rice is supposed to be one of the best DM’s in the league

England have the players - they need a manager to put them in their right roles and allow them to play their natural game

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

PaulMdj

Visit site
City have Stones there , Guehi has shown he is good enough and Rice is supposed to be one of the best DM’s in the league

England have the players - they need a manager to put them in their right roles and allow them to play their natural game
So like I said not playing for Lpool and City, we’d have to change the style of play at all Clubs to make it work for England and outside the top4-6, teams set up differently.

4LEX

Visit site
😂😂 when did Klopp lose trust in him. 😂😂

Anyway

How great is this

When he buggered off after his one title in 8 years?

Klopp left because he wasn't going to win major trophies with you. That's the simple truth. Leave on a high, nice break and get another big job. Rather than scratch around trying to make Nunez score 30 goals or TAA defend. Your midfield is more open than a mod edit

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Kane shares the golden boot with three goals. 😖
Shows the quality of this whole tournament. Lots of low scoring games. Made them very thrilling because you didn't know who wins until the final whistle, but a 2:0 here or there would have been nice.
Maybe there should be a minimum for at which point the trophy gets awarded.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never mentioned first choice.
He’s part of that squad and imo without his injuries he would be first choice with VVD.

Plus he’s played 15 games last season as a left back now that might have been useful !
Gomez has never been quite as good as he was before his serious injury, but now we have Quansah (who reminds me very much of Hansen) I think Gomez will get even less chances now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t understand the treatment of Anthony Gordon. Great season for Newcastle. Gets on in the last minute of a group game, nearly wins it with a defence splitting pass, never used again.

Same with Bowen, 2 games. Almost set up a second goal but keeper pulls off a wordlie. After 16 league goals for an average team.

However Palmer and eze did fantastic jobs when brought on, eze worked hard defensively and Palmer was prob our player of the tournament

I did wonder if Gordons bike fall had made him miss one game and in that game another sub had taken their chances meaning he missed out.

Take Palmer. The lad has 1 final appearance.. 1 goal.. talk about taking your chances .. kanes played 2 league cup finals, 2 euro finals and a champ league final. Never scored a single goal.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thought I'd let the dust settle before I posted my thoughts

Better side won. Best side in the tournament but a distance
England didn't look fully fit at times, (Kane, and I thought Bellingham looked a little out of sorts)
Southgate is short tactically at this level now given the talent a lot of nations now have which is being used better than ours
There are some serious defensive issues for the new manager to work out to make it more balanced without compromising its rigidity. For me TAA IS NOT the answer
We played well last night in short bursts but were undone but a side that kept the ball better and were more clinical when going forward and created more chances

I think any new manager is going to have a difficult task because like him or the way he done/does things Southgate has got us to two finals, into semi's and quarter finals (which now almost seem an under-achievement). I think we may need to experience a drop in form as the new manager finds the side he wants and the style he wants. If he is given time like Southgate who knows where it may take us? It has been a great ride for Southgate but for me now is the time to step away

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As a lot of finals go it was poor, looking back over all the games England played the first half against Holland was the only time England played well.

Being honest I think most of Englands play was dreadful and we were lucky to make the final.

The Squad England had should have produced far better football than we saw, the quality of players we had was never in doubt and they simply didn’t play well enough, and that comes from the tactics and style of play from Southgate.

Nice guy but time for a change, his record is good but the fact is England haven’t won anything, we should have won the final against Italy and that was down to Southgates negative tactics, and this tournament was a great opportunity to win a final.