The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The extension makes practical sense to me. If they have a good season then he has them over a barrel when it comes to a new contract and that could be costly. If it does not work out, in the grand scheme of things, paying out one year in a contract is really not that massive. All they have done is hedged their bets a bit.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yes, Ineos run the footballing side but at that (very high) level of business Ineos will have been advised by experts. These are multi-multi millions of pounds businesses. They’re not managed on the back of a fag packet. To suggest otherwise is ridiculously naive.

So who is advising them on football matters

Someone ultimately takes responsibility of the choices made at clubs

For most there is a football director in place , for some the owner makes the choice

Ineos in sport have done well in cycling because they had Dave Brailsford in place

In sailing they brought in Ainslie

So who is their equivalent in football and specifically Man Utd

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Jason Wilcox? And whilst accepting Dan Ashworth has only been in post since the beginning of July, you’re not telling me he was never spoken to.

There are other footballing people at the club who may or may not have been consulted. David Gill is still on the board of directors I believe. And I understand Bryan Robson works there as an “advisor”.

It’s a football club. It goes without saying any number of those working there in a footballing capacity are likely to have been spoken to as part of the post season review - a process, I don’t doubt, which takes place every year, at every club.

Swango1980

Visit site

For most there is a football director in place , for some the owner makes the choice

Ineos in sport have done well in cycling because they had Dave Brailsford in place

You're making it sound like INEOS bought a big share in Man Utd, and then a couple of their top guys, who know little about football, went down the pub and after a couple of pints and a packet of roasted peanuts, decided to keep ETH.

Clearly, a lot more thinking went into it than that. In my view, it took too long. But the caveat for that was that they were just in the door, they didn't have everyone in place by the end of the season, and they wanted to buy themselves more time. I'm sure they've taken the view of multiple people, and at the end of that process made their decision.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

You seem to be missing the point. In high level business, it isn’t done on the back of a fag packet. The business is spending millions. It isn’t done by sticking a wet finger up in the air. Maybe there isn’t anyone officially named yet but it’s naive to suggest the tea boy is doing it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
You seem to be missing the point. In high level business, it isn’t done on the back of a fag packet. The business is spending millions. It isn’t done by sticking a wet finger up in the air. Maybe there isn’t anyone officially named yet but it’s naive to suggest the tea boy is doing it.

No one suggested it was done by sticking a wet finger in the air or on the back of fag packer 🙄

It was simple question based on people talking about the hierarchy in place and picking managers when as of yet INEOS haven’t got a track record in football so hence why asking who is the one picking ETH to stay etc

It’s shown in the past the successful clubs are the ones with that very knowledgable football director etc - Edwards was key to us, Berigistan at City etc

Let’s not forget that United were going to a number of other managers - so who was approaching them - it was reported that Richards was speaking to Tuchel

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
You're making it sound like INEOS bought a big share in Man Utd, and then a couple of their top guys, who know little about football, went down the pub and after a couple of pints and a packet of roasted peanuts, decided to keep ETH.

Clearly, a lot more thinking went into it than that. In my view, it took too long. But the caveat for that was that they were just in the door, they didn't have everyone in place by the end of the season, and they wanted to buy themselves more time. I'm sure they've taken the view of multiple people, and at the end of that process made their decision.
I think that is a load of absolute rubbish. They wanted him replaced they approached multiple managers, all who went, jog on and they had no choice but to keep E10H and give him a 1 year extension. If I have put more effort in to scraping dog muck off my trainer than they have choosing to keep Eric, who I think they have no choice in.

No one is saying in the future once their appointments bed in will things not change, but right now shoe scraping all the way.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No one suggested it was done by sticking a wet finger in the air or on the back of fag packer 🙄

It was simple question based on people talking about the hierarchy in place and picking managers when as of yet INEOS haven’t got a track record in football so hence why asking who is the one picking ETH to stay etc

It’s shown in the past the successful clubs are the ones with that very knowledgable football director etc - Edwards was key to us, Berigistan at City etc

Let’s not forget that United were going to a number of other managers - so who was approaching them - it was reported that Richards was speaking to Tuchel

Sometimes you have to trust whoever is in charge. And sometimes that trust is based on who is in charge. Sir Jim Ratcliffe has a great CV, including in sport, and has put his credibility on the line by taking on a dysfunctional ‘back office.’ Did all those big managers turn Utd down or did Utd turn them down?

I’ll be honest I think you’re looking for issues because it’s Utd. Maybe you don’t see that but that’s how it comes across. Oh, forgot you’re a Liverpool supporter. I know that sounds harsh but it just sounds like a typical Liverpool supporter having a pop at Utd.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Sometimes you have to trust whoever is in charge. And sometimes that trust is based on who is in charge. Sir Jim Ratcliffe has a great CV, including in sport, and has put his credibility on the line by taking on a dysfunctional ‘back office.’ Did all those big managers turn Utd down or did Utd turn them down?

I’ll be honest I think you’re looking for issues because it’s Utd. Maybe you don’t see that but that’s how it comes across. Oh, forgot you’re a Liverpool supporter. I know that sounds harsh but it just sounds like a typical Liverpool supporter having a pop at Utd.

No one is having a “pop”

It was a valid question 🙄

And Tuchel turned down the role

ETH wasn’t their first choice

Ratcliffe does have a good CV - but not in football and it’s a very different world

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No one is having a “pop”

Ratcliffe does have a good CV - but not in football and it’s a very different world

Ratcliffe has proven himself across various sports. And as I said, it’s about the process at that level. Get the right people to do it, and I think Ratcliffe will have got the right people to do it. It’s naive to think otherwise.

Did Tuchel turn down Utd or did he say he turned down Utd? Would you employ Tuchel if he mouths off to the press? It’s paper talk, or maybe it isn’t but I’ll be honest I take it with a large pinch of salt.

RichA

Visit site
No one is having a “pop”

I'm a Forest fan. I envy Man U getting INEOS involved.
Given the choice, I would trust the owners and managers of one of the most successful businesses on the planet to run the hiring and firing side of my club ahead of a team of ex-footballers and lifer sports administrators.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think that is a load of absolute rubbish. They wanted him replaced they approached multiple managers, all who went, jog on and they had no choice but to keep E10H and give him a 1 year extension. If I have put more effort in to scraping dog muck off my trainer than they have choosing to keep Eric, who I think they have no choice in.

No one is saying in the future once their appointments bed in will things not change, but right now shoe scraping all the way.
At least someone in hear had the inside knowledge on what was discussed in these meetings, always good to learn :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No one is having a “pop”

I thought several managers had turned the role down because of the package not the size of the task but how can anyone be sure of any real reasons. A good CV isn't made by accident.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

They didn't have a track record in cycling or sailing but seem to be doing ok in those sports so why can't they do the same with football?