The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect the new hierarchy knows a little more about employing a manager than the average fan.
The average fan has to watch the product mind, we do have eyes.

I'd also say business is not the same as football management, very different. They may be able to transfer many skillsets across but on this one, different game.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I'd also say business is not the same as football management, very different. They may be able to transfer many skillsets across but on this one, different game.

Bottom line now is that, from this point on, ten Hag has fewer excuses for what is going on out on the pitch.

The hierarchy is now largely in place. There appears to be some common sense developing around transfer policy.

So, hopefully, ten Hag can now focus on matters which impact on performances on the pitch.

We will see.

Swango1980

Visit site
So England are thinking of going to a back three!
I wonder if this has come from the players fed up with GS tactics ?

Not that we’re telling our opponents what we’re going to do 🙈😳
Are the team and tactics now being revealed more than 48 hours before the game now? If so, are they leaked by players (or their agents), or are media able to work it out based on training patterns?

However, if the rumours are that Southgate is going to adopt different tactics to the first 4 games, it probably isn't very believable to anyone. So, if they do play with a back 3, it will still probably come as a shock to Switzerland :)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are the team and tactics now being revealed more than 48 hours before the game now? If so, are they leaked by players (or their agents), or are media able to work it out based on training patterns?

However, if the rumours are that Southgate is going to adopt different tactics to the first 4 games, it probably isn't very believable to anyone. So, if they do play with a back 3, it will still probably come as a shock to Switzerland :)
But they went to a back 3 with wing backs in extra time, it just didn't help that the whole team thought he meant back 10

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Is football management really different or are some team managers dinosaurs? Bear with me it’s an off the cuff thought. With OptiStats surely players performance levels can all add up to an overall number that is better than the overall number than the next team. Admittedly, the system used will also impact on the results against certain teams but, again, surely the metrics to measure that is available?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is football management really different or are some team managers dinosaurs? Bear with me it’s an off the cuff thought. With OptiStats surely players performance levels can all add up to an overall number that is better than the overall number than the next team. Admittedly, the system used will also impact on the results against certain teams but, again, surely the metrics to measure that is available?
If you listen to managers speak now they will all talk about the stats collected. All of them have a full time stats analyst, no one has the edge on that. However, we all know that stats only tell part of the story. A player may make lots of runs, were they any use? Was a Berbatov heat map relevant? Stats feed into the equation but there is so much more to football than statistical analysis.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
But doesn’t Ineos run the football side now ? Who else in the hierarchy that has the experience of appointing football managers

Who was it that made the choice to keep ETH

Dan Ashworth has only just started

People employ people to employ people. By the time I retired I was a million miles away from the coal face, including managing across very diverse industrial divisions. The issue becomes knowing how to manage the difference, not the subject.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
People employ people to employ people. By the time I retired I was a million miles away from the coal face, including managing across very diverse industrial divisions. The issue becomes knowing how to manage the difference, not the subject.

They do - but it will be interesting to know who made the choice to stick with ETH - Ineos run the Football side - at Nice they have Maurice in place, Edwards has now been put in place in Man Utd.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
They do - but it will be interesting to know who made the choice to stick with ETH - Ineos run the Football side - at Nice they have Maurice in place, Edwards has now been put in place in Man Utd.

Yes, Ineos run the footballing side but at that (very high) level of business Ineos will have been advised by experts. These are multi-multi millions of pounds businesses. They’re not managed on the back of a fag packet. To suggest otherwise is ridiculously naive.