The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Fussball kommt nach Hause!

I think if it comes down to punditry, Keane and Shearer always seem to be right. Just like McEnroe in tennis and Barclay in basketball.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Was in the same Athletic article as the Minteh news.

Personally I think the club should try to keep local talent where it can...it gives other kids something to aspire to....if they see lads just a few years older being given the chance then it gives them hope and inspiration, rather than seeing players simply be used as currency to be traded to balance accounts - which of course ultimately they are in the long run - but never have they been so overtly passed around between clubs in a manner akin to a mediaeval bartering system.

The current trading marry go round is somewhat distasteful, but I guess clubs need to find ways round the current PSR rules that don't do much to help sustainability....other than to sustain the status quo of the elite, who were able to spend before restrictions were thought of.
Agree, but the problem with ffp/psr is that the biggest profits can possibly come off the local players you’ve brought through the Youth system. It’s crazy.

Is the current merry go round distasteful? I’m not sure, if the rules were fit for purpose then Clubs wouldn’t need to look for loopholes.

I find it more distasteful that a Club like Newcastle, who are trying to build, are needing to do this to protect their most valuable assets.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven't heard that one. It would be a shame, Anderson is highly regarded within the club we keep hearing and he looked more than decent when he played. Do you think him being home grown and so a pure profit sale is a key factor in this?

I like the look of Elanga, we wanted him at Everton but Forest won the race. Quite raw though still, Anderson is more advanced as a player I'd say. Different players in style though.
Now being reported by The Athletic that a deal has been agreed. No confirmation about Elanga moving in the opposite direction at the moment.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just watching the highlights now of both games and the analysis.
I turned off the Germany game because I found it frustrating. However it clearly shows that the strategy is get the goal and the opposition open up and it’s just a matter of being efficient with the chances.
So I would be asking England to be pressing hard from the get go.. then when they are 2 clear they can play counter attack football.
If you always have some pace up front or the wings and they stay up you will always either pin the opposition back or get them on the counter .. it’s a straight cross field hoof into the gaps for your guys to run on to … nothing sophisticated in that just the defending has to be intense and the midfield pair and defensive 4 have to be connected.. what I see now is a slow build up and trying to involve the wing backs .. forget them .. they have not been fast enough or they delayed the play.
4-4-2 works or 4-5-1 for me defence always starts in the opponents box.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
One change. Mainoo for Gallagher. So we have to hope that those players starting game after game despite the dreadful performances step up, because clearly Southgate has absolutely no intention of changing things.

I’m bored already and the game hasn’t even started.

Swango1980

Visit site
One change. Mainoo for Gallagher. So we have to hope that those players starting game after game despite the dreadful performances step up, because clearly Southgate has absolutely no intention of changing things.

I’m bored already and the game hasn’t even started.
Southgate must be the most predictable manager that had ever lived?

However, this is where the tournament really begins. I can only assume he knows something the rest if us don't, and England will start playing like world beaters?

After all, he is only looking to find the player who can be the new Kalvin Phillips, the other 10 players are sorted.

Feel sorry for Palmer.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Give it 30 mins,if it’s still looking 💩 get Palmer on.

There is absolutely no way on God’s earth Southgate will ever make a tactical substitution during the first half of any game, whichever team he is managing.

More chance of a team of four single figure golfers winning a Texas Scramble with the current handicap allowance calculation.

ie. It ain’t happening.

😎

Pin-seeker

Visit site
There is absolutely no way on God’s earth Southgate will ever make a tactical substitution during the first half of any game, whichever team he is managing.

More chance of a team of four single figure golfers winning a Texas Scramble with the current handicap allowance calculation.

ie. It ain’t happening.

😎
Yeah I know,just wishful thinking.

PaulMdj

Visit site
People saying Gordon should start or Palmer should start obviously think 1 man can change the team, let’s hope that one man is Mainoo. 👏👏

Swango1980

Visit site
5 minutes in, and still looks like Southgate is clueless, or his players are not as good as everyone thinks.

Ref looks like he is itching to dish out yellow cards. Although Trippier really sold his team mate out short