The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly it looks like Yankuba Minteh might be off to Brighton for £33m. That's a £26m profit for a player who has never pulled on a black and white shirt....and if that is what it takes to keep the sharks from circling the likes of Isak, Guimares and Gordon then so be it.

Sad really as he has looked exceptional in the Eredivisie and was looking forward to seeing what he could do for us down the right hand side. But as we all know, the PL is a different kettle of fish compared to the Dutch league and there is no guarantee that he would be a success over here. On the upside for the player (if he does indeed go, as looks likely) Brighton should be the sort of attacking, expressive, creative environment that he may well be able to flourish in.
The reality is, that is great business for a player who has never played for you and the club has no idea if he will work in the PL or not. In the FFP era, it protects your main assets, far more important for Newcastle this summer than bringing in new faces imo. Ideally you will stick in a first refusal or sell on clause, that could soften the blow.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The reality is, that is great business for a player who has never played for you and the club has no idea if he will work in the PL or not. In the FFP era, it protects your main assets, far more important for Newcastle this summer than bringing in new faces imo. Ideally you will stick in a first refusal or sell on clause, that could soften the blow.
Oh I agree totally.
Hopefully it's the only one but also possibly we are looking to trade Elliott Anderson for Anthony Elanga from Forest.

Again a shame if true to lose a local boy but Elanga did look exciting on the times I saw him last season.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh I agree totally.
Hopefully it's the only one but also possibly we are looking to trade Elliott Anderson for Anthony Elanga from Forest.

Again a shame if true to lose a local boy but Elanga did look exciting on the times I saw him last season.
I haven't heard that one. It would be a shame, Anderson is highly regarded within the club we keep hearing and he looked more than decent when he played. Do you think him being home grown and so a pure profit sale is a key factor in this?

I like the look of Elanga, we wanted him at Everton but Forest won the race. Quite raw though still, Anderson is more advanced as a player I'd say. Different players in style though.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Germany probably deserved the win :(.
But something has to be changed regarding the offside flag being raised/timing, before a player is seriously injured or red carded for a tackle that's not needed.
And hand ball decisions .

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I haven't heard that one. It would be a shame, Anderson is highly regarded within the club we keep hearing and he looked more than decent when he played. Do you think him being home grown and so a pure profit sale is a key factor in this?

I like the look of Elanga, we wanted him at Everton but Forest won the race. Quite raw though still, Anderson is more advanced as a player I'd say. Different players in style though.
Was in the same Athletic article as the Minteh news.

Personally I think the club should try to keep local talent where it can...it gives other kids something to aspire to....if they see lads just a few years older being given the chance then it gives them hope and inspiration, rather than seeing players simply be used as currency to be traded to balance accounts - which of course ultimately they are in the long run - but never have they been so overtly passed around between clubs in a manner akin to a mediaeval bartering system.

The current trading marry go round is somewhat distasteful, but I guess clubs need to find ways round the current PSR rules that don't do much to help sustainability....other than to sustain the status quo of the elite, who were able to spend before restrictions were thought of.