The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rose tinted glasses slightly?
If he resigns tomorrow I don’t see them putting Lee Carsley in as anything else but a caretaker, yet he won the U21 Euros. Southgate was right place at the right time.

He got the U21’s to one Euros were they finished bottom of the group.

He comes across as a really nice, harmless bloke who has, without doubt, done some really positive things for the set up etc, but it comes back to his legacy and that will be the style of football, unless he proves us all wrong and wins the Euro’s.
Ha ha, not exactly rose tinted but I do remember successive failures of England, under Capello, Sven, Hodgson. The squads were not cohesive, widely stated by players, and we consistently under achieved or simply failed to achieve, depending on your point of view.

Southgate has improved certain things and we should acknowledge that. He should have gone a tournament ago though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
On other matters, the refs association has confirmed that they back the decision of no penalty in the Scotland game. They state that the Scottish player stepped towards the Hungarian player, initiating the foul. Agree or disagree, but that's why it wasn't given.

Swango1980

Visit site
On other matters, the refs association has confirmed that they back the decision of no penalty in the Scotland game. They state that the Scottish player stepped towards the Hungarian player, initiating the foul. Agree or disagree, but that's why it wasn't given.
One of those subjective ones. Had the referee given a penalty, the refs association would have also been able to justify why it was given.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I see England remain the bookmakers’ favourites to win this tournament. I suppose I get it in part, given how the draw has fallen in their lap. But have the bookies not watched any games?

4LEX

Visit site
One of my English friends is very positive about England. Just seen this on his facebook:

Boring, boring Southgate.
It's so boring that England keep finishing top of their groups.
Euro 2024 finals - 1st
Euro 2024 qualifying - 1st
Qatar 2022 finals - 1st
Qatar 2022 qualifying - 1st
Euro 2020 finals - 1st
Euro 2020 qualifying - 1st
Russia 2018 finals - 2nd (blessed relief from the boredom)
Russia 2018 qualifying - 1st
To top it all, once we've bored our way through to the boring knockout stages of boring major tournaments. We then bore our way through to boring semi-finals and the first boring final for 50+ years.
I miss the good old days of losing in the group stages like Brazil 2014, or failing to qualify at all like Euro 2008. They certainly weren't boring.
His record is appalling and he has to go. Big Sam is available again.

I think he is basically saying to all those Southgate critics "grow up, and appreciate having one of the finest managers in England's history"

The difference is the quality of player available has gone up.

After the so called 'golden generation' we had a huge dip in quality which saw some very average England teams from 2010-2016. The results reflected that. Now the quality in midfield and attack is without doubt the best in the world. Our second choice midfield and attack would still be up there with the best.

The failure to make it through to Euro 2008 was pretty much down to Steve McLaren and a few silly individual mistakes, like Rooney giving away a penalty in Russia and Carson's gaffe against Croatia.

The main issue is a lot of the so called top nations are at a low ebb, so the next few years are a period we have to take advantage. We've failed in the past due to one man - Southgate. He's shown nothing to indicate he's learnt from those mistakes or improved.

By the way don't knock Big Sam, he has a 100% win ratio :LOL:

Swango1980

Visit site
I see England remain the bookmakers’ favourites to win this tournament. I suppose I get it in part, given how the draw has fallen in their lap. But have the bookies not watched any games?
I suspect it is simply the UK bookmakers, and odds are set based on the how their customers are betting?

Do Spanish bookmakers have Spain as favourites? German bookmakers Germany as favourites? French bookmakers France as favourites?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sam A usually gets parachuted into bad situations with poor or low levels of confidence.
The Bolton side was special but JJ O was a magician .. players like that are generational

Swango1980

Visit site
Apparently it’s not. It’s Europe wide.
Maybe it's because the rest of Europe never watched Middlesbrough, and appreciate just how awful Southgate is?

They see Bellingham, Kane and Foden basically being the best players in 3 of the top leagues in the world, so assume England must be awesome.

Surely no man, even an unqualified football hating member of the public, could manage this side to be so poor? Or so they think :D

Or, could it be that us Brits gamble the most, thus the entire European markets odds trend towards our behaviour?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
France 2nd Favourites & they’ve been equally as 💩.
Bookies alter their odds with how the punters are betting.
They’d be worried about putting England at a bigger imo.

4LEX

Visit site
I laughed at my mate for backing Spain to win it.
Think he got 14/1.
They’re now 4/1 🤦‍♂️😂

Apart from their real golden generation, Spain have bottled it more than England. As good as they've been, I can see them doing the same against a team who sits back. Two very young wingers, Morata a striker that's crap and a so so defence.

What they have is a fearless coach and play on the front foot. If we can sneak our way to the final I'd rather face them than Germany or Portugal.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apart from their real golden generation, Spain have bottled it more than England. As good as they've been, I can see them doing the same against a team who sits back. Two very young wingers, Morata a striker that's crap and a so so defence.

What they have is a fearless coach and play on the front foot. If we can sneak our way to the final I'd rather face them than Germany or Portugal.
Portugal? They looked toothless .. beware of Austria and the Swiss they looked far more dangerous.
Spain make more chances and keep trying to make them .. I like that.
France .. looked a bit toothless without Mbappe but Kante is amazing can he keep it going?
Germany the Scots rolled over and made them look good .. they are a bit ordinary.
Italians have been lucky but every ref loves them and turns a blind eye to their filthy play
Belgium.. god only knows why they don’t perform despite good players and good management.
England.. well they could win it if they weren’t a bunch of static back pass billies

Swango1980

Visit site
Portugal? They looked toothless .. beware of Austria and the Swiss they looked far more dangerous.
Spain make more chances and keep trying to make them .. I like that.
France .. looked a bit toothless without Mbappe but Kante is amazing can he keep it going?
Germany the Scots rolled over and made them look good .. they are a bit ordinary.
Italians have been lucky but every ref loves them and turns a blind eye to their filthy play
Belgium.. god only knows why they don’t perform despite good players and good management.
England.. well they could win it if they weren’t a bunch of static back pass billies
Portugal looked really decent the first 2 games, from what I remember.

Maybe not the 3rd game, when they rested the majority of their players

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Portugal looked really decent the first 2 games, from what I remember.

Maybe not the 3rd game, when they rested the majority of their players
Yes , but that’s their first 11 , that performance suggests that they don’t have much depth .. so their journey deeper into the tournament depends on fatigue and yellow cards

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some seriously dodgy transfers going on between clubs to avoid financial penalties.
£20m for a lad who has played 6 senior game and over £30m for some unknown going the other way.

Both clubs very happy..........Del Boy stuff going on.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Some seriously dodgy transfers going on between clubs to avoid financial penalties.
£20m for a lad who has played 6 senior game and over £30m for some unknown going the other way.

Both clubs very happy..........Del Boy stuff going on.
mmm...part of me wants Newcastle to stay out of it all and take a few points deduction (assuming we are potentially in breach of PSR as the press are speculating), rather than let any of our better players and emerging young talent go.