The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Long after the incident occured, we are still discussing the whys and why nots about whether it should be offside.

In that sense, I feel sorry for referees and having to use VAR. We could debate this for days, yet expect them to make a decision in seconds, as long as it agrees with our own interpretation

4LEX

Visit site
Not anti Gordon at all tbh, excellent going forward and if we can keep him wide and supply the ball then great.

I just don’t see how England are currently playing were he fits in, obviously saw more of him at Everton, but living up here in the NE I’ve seen quite a bit as well, he’s not the most reliable tracking back and helping defensively.

I’d be inclined to bring him on when you are 2 up and looking to score more.

Seeing how Southgate has brought Eze on, I also think he’s behind him in the pecking order.

I bow to your better knowledge of him but I just like the way he's a little terrier who snaps at heels, always goes direct and causes a lot of problems for full backs. I think if he's infront of Trippier that's fine as Trippier offers nothing going forward on his weak foot, plus if we play Mainoo it'll be his job to cover.

Eze was brought on as he's more of a safe option and doesn't offer width IMO, the decision clearly backfired as we actually looked less likely to score without Saka and Foden.

To be honest, I thought Saka was doing OK and had the LB on toast, he was wrongly subbed. Foden had a decent game and got into some dangerous positions, it was just his finishing that let him down. The subs were woeful bar one run and shot from Watkins. Most managers when they get the line up wrong, make changes that fix that and improve, we actually looked worse and that's a real warning sign.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Not anti Gordon at all tbh, excellent going forward and if we can keep him wide and supply the ball then great.

I just don’t see how England are currently playing were he fits in, obviously saw more of him at Everton, but living up here in the NE I’ve seen quite a bit as well, he’s not the most reliable tracking back and helping defensively.

Seeing how Southgate has brought Eze on, I also think he’s behind him in the pecking order.
So basically he’s never getting a kick under Southgate?
He shuts up shop at 1up,or he try’s to 😬

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Genuine question Paul,why have you seen more of him because you live in the NE?
Do you go to Newcastle games?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Long after the incident occured, we are still discussing the whys and why nots about whether it should be offside.

In that sense, I feel sorry for referees and having to use VAR. We could debate this for days, yet expect them to make a decision in seconds, as long as it agrees with our own interpretation
That’s football now though.

Took more than a few seconds.

I just think disallowing a goal should be the refs job not VAR.
Just go have a look he had plenty of time.

He’s defo offside but it should be the ref making the decision that he’s interfering with play.

4LEX

Visit site
That’s football now though.

Took more than a few seconds.

I just think disallowing a goal should be the refs job not VAR.
Just go have a look he had plenty of time.

He’s defo offside but it should be the ref making the decision that he’s interfering with play.

It was a real mess and no surprise it involved the English officials. Indecisive, took ages and still managed to get it wrong.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well the first “controversey” over onside/offside that I can remember was this one.

As far as I can find the modern rule started in 1990.

Under the old rule you could beat the offside if you went through yourself by playing the ball through the back four .
Not sure you could then play it square to the player who was offside initially like now.
That might be what the fuss was about

Any refs know when the modern rule changed?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
1. Local highlights on TV
2. Golf Club on a saturday will have (normally) Sunderland in one room, N’Castle in the other.
3. Local pubs showing local games.
4. Been to St James’s Park more than Goodison in the last 3 years, was working in N’Castle prior to retirement and would go with mates either to watch or local pubs around workplace.
Surely they can only show what sky/tnt… show?
So doesn’t really matter where you are in the country 🤷‍♂️

4LEX

Visit site
Yes I wonder what Van Dyke was saying to him, think he knew what the outcome was going to be!

I think he knew.

It does really highlight how bad our refs are, just embarrassing. The PL should bin the lot and recruit from the best in the world. Why have English refs when we can import the best? We do the same with managers and players yet we're being held back by the officials.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I’m not sure what you’re getting at, you asked a genuine question and I gave you a genuine answer.

Why would Tyne Tees show Clubs from outside their region? On a monday you’ll get local round up and interviews with local reporters etc.

Unless it’s on Sky Live you only get highlights on MOTD etc, in the Golf Club and local pubs you get every game full 90 minutes.
I wasn’t aware of this Paul.
Everyday is a school day ☺️
Cheers buddy 👍🏻👍🏻

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the goal stands, the French would be unhappy. If it's ruled out, Netherlands would be unhappy. There is an argument for either decision.

Biggest disappointment, apart from the game not really taking off, how long the decision took. The refs team / head in Germany need to dissect that one and make sure it doesn't happen like that again.

On a general point, the second round of matches have largely been disappointing. This after an excellent set of first round games. Hopefully the final round picks up again, all or nothing for many.

venger

Visit site
On a general point, the second round of matches have largely been disappointing. This after an excellent set of first round games. Hopefully the final round picks up again, all or nothing for many.
I wonder if some of the teams have gone in with a “make sure we don’t lose the second games” mentality/approach and it’s resulted in poorer game

Swango1980

Visit site
If the goal stands, the French would be unhappy. If it's ruled out, Netherlands would be unhappy. There is an argument for either decision.

Biggest disappointment, apart from the game not really taking off, how long the decision took. The refs team / head in Germany need to dissect that one and make sure it doesn't happen like that again.

Pretty much bang on how I feel. Offside player is right beside keeper, and in area that ball has gone. Had goal been allowed, I could see loads of people slating officials for not thinking the player was interfering. Saying "if he isn't interfering, he shouldn't be on the pitch", etc.

It is subjective, can see arguments both sides. As I'm not sure keeper would have saved it anyway, although still on the side that offside was correct call myself.

But, the time taken was silly. That isn't Taylor's fault, but the guys in VAR need to be asked why it took so long. Was one of them on a toilet or smoke break?