The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
I know we moaned about England's performance but this France Netherlands game is pretty dire....possibly the worst game of the tournament considering the alleged quality on show.
Could they have agreed to take a point each, knowing Poland can't catch them and gives them both a great chance to qualify?

I'm such the cynic :)

PaulMdj

Visit site
Southgate doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, he just needs to make a few basic changes. Changing formations and half the team at this point would be madness.

Stick with 4231 but start the players in the right positions.

I think a lot hinges on Shaw, he's crucial to us doing well as Trippier offers nothing going forward which is causing a real issue on the left. He's got to start on Tuesday, otherwise what was the point in taking him? You can't throw someone in at the knock out stage really. He desperately needs a minimum of 30 minutes if not longer.

I don't buy into TAA being a liability at the back and think he gets a lot of unfair stick but he isn't a midfielder and he's not better than Walker overall. There's nothing wrong with changing full backs though after 60 minutes instead of just making the same tedious subs everytime though. Our strength iis our bench, so why don't we use it? High intensity football from the get go and then bring on the likes of TAA, Foden, Palmer and Watkins against tired legs.

My team for Tuesday would be;

Pickford

Shaw
Stones
Guehi
Walker

Rice
Mainoo

Gordon
Bellingham
Saka

Kane
If Shaw is unfit, then Gordon offers nothing defensively imo and is pretty much one dimensional.

Would you play Gordon with Trippier?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So drop Kane a world class striker who’s scored 64 goals for England , madness.

We all agree the system we are playing is wrong, adapt the system to get the best out of our players and Kane will get goals.

Southgate will not drop him but hopefully we play better next game and get a a couple of goals , then take Kane off and plus a few others to give them a rest.

Then we will see how others perform
Think the key word there is hopefully.

He’s not going to adapt the system

PaulMdj

Visit site
I thought in the replay the Dutch player moved away from the ball.🤷‍♂️ Does that make him active? Or does his position mean the keeper couldn’t attempt a save?

Clutching at straws here, definitely wasn’t in the keepers eye line.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can tell it’s the English refs on VAR - it’s taking too long 😂

Seems a very harsh call
I was thinking it took to long as well especially after all the other var decisions have been quick

But I would cut them some slack this time that was a very hard call to make, the French keeper did make a slight movement to his left.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was thinking it took to long as well especially after all the other var decisions have been quick

But I would cut them some slack this time that was a very hard call to make, the French keeper did make a slight movement to his left.
Yes but why didn’t the ref go have a look on the monitor and make the decision himself.?

Bizzare.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I thought in the replay the Dutch player moved away from the ball.🤷‍♂️ Does that make him active? Or does his position mean the keeper couldn’t attempt a save?

Clutching at straws here, definitely wasn’t in the keepers eye line.
If that’s not a goal because the keeper could have dived. It’s like saying that’s not a goal coz you could have tackled the scorer but choose not to. I thought it was a shocker. If the keeper had dived and made contact I get it. But he didn’t.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yes but why didn’t the ref go have a look on the monitor and make the decision himself.?

Bizzare.
Because if the VAR says the Dutch player interfered with the Keeper, then it’s a straight offside/onside decision and I’ve never seen a Ref check an Offside decision on the monitor.