The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From memory there is always talk of Kane looking tired and jaded in these tournaments. He does once again...he's never had pace but just looks worn out.

As I’ve said in another post that’s the way Kane has always played , it’s similar with your views on Foden , the system we’re playing isn’t getting the best out of the players.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From watching him attempt to run around the pitch with my own eyes mate... He literally doesn't press.

Im saying hes at 80% because he was injured pre-tournament and not played for 5 weeks prior to the start, he looks off the pace.

I know hes better at passing and shooting, but the best teams do not always start all of the best players. You need to find something that works, Kanes looked abysmal for 2 games.

Same point goes for Foden, be as good as you like for your club, for England so far hes looked poor.

Im not saying anything that doesnt make complete sense either, Gerrard, Lampard Scholes didn't work, neither does Foden, Bellingham, Kane, they all want the same area of the pitch.

Bellingham, Saka, Rice, Foden, TAA ,Kane all played abysmal last night, these are some of the best players we have.

There’s one commen denominator and that’s the system we are playing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Kane hasn't looked any worse than 7 or 8 other players. He's scored 50% of our goals. He was only denied another by an excellent save in the first game. Southgate might not have told him to press for all we know.

Eze, Watkins, Bowen all got on in the last game and did things improve at all? No they didn't.

As mentioned, we need to try Jude deeper and allow Foden to play number 10. That might just work, but Southgate is allergic to it for some reason.

We started the world cup with Bellingham deeper 0-0 to USA, we then brought Henderson into a flat 3 in the middle with Bellingham and rice.. worked fine

Bellingham has played 43 games of his career in the number 10 role , 125 in central midfield and 14 CDM . I believe his Madrid numbers of goals because it's such a good team makes the figures a bit skewed towards cam when really playing him in the number 8 is the way to go.

Id much rather see him in there with foden in the 10. Then we can have someone else on the wing

That said there must be one fit natural left back in England that could have gone. Even a championship standard one would be better than playing someone out of position

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I don’t get why some are saying for Kane to be dropped , at this moment he’s still one of the best strikers at the Euros, the main reason he and most of the team are playing poor is the system we’re playing.

I’ve seen Kane first hand at the new stadium when he was at Spurs and the thing that stood out was his lack of pace and he had very few sprints,
this is nothing new and it’s the way he’s always played

Get the system and tactics right and he will get goals.

Don’t make him a scapegoat for Southgates tactics

I’m certainly not suggesting he should be dropped, but if England opted to play a high press that’s just not Kane’s game. I suspect Watkins or Toney would be better suited.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We started the world cup with Bellingham deeper 0-0 to USA, we then brought Henderson into a flat 3 in the middle with Bellingham and rice.. worked fine

Bellingham has played 43 games of his career in the number 10 role , 125 in central midfield and 14 CDM . I believe his Madrid numbers of goals because it's such a good team makes the figures a bit skewed towards cam when really playing him in the number 8 is the way to go.

Id much rather see him in there with foden in the 10. Then we can have someone else on the wing

That said there must be one fit natural left back in England that could have gone. Even a championship standard one would be better than playing someone out of position
Mitchell would have been sensible, but maybe Southgate thought he was playing Fantasy Football and there was a limit on how many Palace players he was allowed. 😄

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m certainly not suggesting he should be dropped, but if England opted to play a high press that’s just not Kane’s game. I suspect Watkins or Toney would be better suited.

I agree that Watkins or Toney would be better suited to a high press but it’s a fallacy to say Kane can’t play that role, if you have 5 players pressing high who are all quicker than Kane it would work as the chances that it would create would be where you would want Kane to be.

It worked for Spurs sometimes when he had the speed merchants playing up with him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree that Watkins or Toney would be better suited to a high press but it’s a fallacy to say Kane can’t play that role, if you have 5 players pressing high who are all quicker than Kane it would work as the chances that it would create would be where you would want Kane to be.

It worked for Spurs sometimes when he had the speed merchants playing up with him.
I guess it's the modern game for you, but to me you'd gain a slightly better press, but lose a world class forward who can score a goal from nothing. I wouldn't take that exchange personally. I'd rather have the world class forward.

Swango1980

Visit site
Kane is possibly the best striker in the world, or at least right up there in the very top few.

Furthermore, England have many exciting options out wide and in the middle of the park. There are probably several approaches a manager could take to play really decent / positive football.

It has really come to something where there is even a consideration that Kane has to be dropped, to play an alternative striker who might be more favoured to how we have seen England play. That Southgate cannot even find a way to use one of the best strikers in the world to his advantage.

The only way Kane should be dropped, realistically, is if he is injured. And, I do wonder if he is carrying a knock from his injury at the back end of the season. And, even if Kane was to be dropped, I wouldn't get too excited. I like both Watkins and Toney, but I wouldn't be too confident that England would start playing the entertaining football people want. It almost feels like, if England do play some nice football at some point, it will be by complete chance, and won't be sustainable into the following game.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Kane hasn't looked any worse than 7 or 8 other players. He's scored 50% of our goals. He was only denied another by an excellent save in the first game. Southgate might not have told him to press for all we know.

Eze, Watkins, Bowen all got on in the last game and did things improve at all? No they didn't.

As mentioned, we need to try Jude deeper and allow Foden to play number 10. That might just work, but Southgate is allergic to it for some reason.
No surprise really. The overall performance had sunk so low that the rest of the team were playing so badly that there wasn't enough time (just 20 mins when the three of them came on) to generate any coherence which would have then allowed E, W and B to affect the game significantly. The players needed to be introduced at half time to have any sort of positive effect.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don’t get why some are saying for Kane to be dropped , at this moment he’s still one of the best strikers at the Euros, the main reason he and most of the team are playing poor is the system we’re playing.

I’ve seen Kane first hand at the new stadium when he was at Spurs and the thing that stood out was his lack of pace and he had very few sprints,
this is nothing new and it’s the way he’s always played

Get the system and tactics right and he will get goals.

Don’t make him a scapegoat for Southgates tactics

Listen to Gary

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a think about this , for me Denmark were susceptible to the over the top ball and fast striker.. 1st game showed this. It’s disappointing that a layman can see this as the way to set up and our manager cannot.
Secondly why does the manager not make decision to pick the team that suits his intentions (this may mean some unknowns) . Or play the style or set up with the talent he has instead of playing them out of position.
Either way I think the England job is a poison chalice the media make it that way

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No surprise really. The overall performance had sunk so low that the rest of the team were playing so badly that there wasn't enough time (just 20 mins when the three of them came on) to generate any coherence which would have then allowed E, W and B to affect the game significantly. The players needed to be introduced at half time to have any sort of positive effect.

Stupid thing is as average as Trent was playing (Most were) Watkins, Bowen and eze would suit his passing

Half time whilst perfect I can't see him removing Saka and kane (our two best) and foden (our most gifted) players

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Stupid thing is as average as Trent was playing (Most were) Watkins, Bowen and eze would suit his passing

Half time whilst perfect I can't see him removing Saka and kane (our two best) and foden (our most gifted) players
Perhaps not removing those players I grant you...but making some changes at half time just to start the second half in a different frame of mind, might have generated some momentum that then would have allowed "later" substitutions to slot more effectively into the game.