The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not effectively though 😄 . I wouldn't mind betting that whilst nominally out left, he didn't stay there. City are more fluid on that front.
That for me is one of the big problems.
City players swap positions to cover their team mates they do it so seamlessly .
So dosnt matter where Foden goes they cover every position with ease.

England don’t.

For me if we’re not getting the ball into the box I would leave Kane out.
If we’re going to sit deep and play on the break then Watkins / Gordon are better at it imo.
Watching Kane last night, every time he dropped deep he was running in treacle.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I’ve said in another post that’s the way Kane has always played , it’s similar with your views on Foden , the system we’re playing isn’t getting the best out of the players.
Yes that’s 100% correct.
But what’s easier to change ,the whole system or one player.?

How many times have we come on here and said “ England were brilliant today”
Not very often since GS took over.

4LEX

Visit site
Southgate doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, he just needs to make a few basic changes. Changing formations and half the team at this point would be madness.

Stick with 4231 but start the players in the right positions.

I think a lot hinges on Shaw, he's crucial to us doing well as Trippier offers nothing going forward which is causing a real issue on the left. He's got to start on Tuesday, otherwise what was the point in taking him? You can't throw someone in at the knock out stage really. He desperately needs a minimum of 30 minutes if not longer.

I don't buy into TAA being a liability at the back and think he gets a lot of unfair stick but he isn't a midfielder and he's not better than Walker overall. There's nothing wrong with changing full backs though after 60 minutes instead of just making the same tedious subs everytime though. Our strength iis our bench, so why don't we use it? High intensity football from the get go and then bring on the likes of TAA, Foden, Palmer and Watkins against tired legs.

My team for Tuesday would be;

Pickford

Shaw
Stones
Guehi
Walker

Rice
Mainoo

Gordon
Bellingham
Saka

Kane

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Southgate doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, he just needs to make a few basic changes. Changing formations and half the team at this point would be madness.

Stick with 4231 but start the players in the right positions.

I think a lot hinges on Shaw, he's crucial to us doing well as Trippier offers nothing going forward which is causing a real issue on the left. He's got to start on Tuesday, otherwise what was the point in taking him? You can't throw someone in at the knock out stage really. He desperately needs a minimum of 30 minutes if not longer.

I don't buy into TAA being a liability at the back and think he gets a lot of unfair stick but he isn't a midfielder and he's not better than Walker overall. There's nothing wrong with changing full backs though after 60 minutes instead of just making the same tedious subs everytime though. Our strength iis our bench, so why don't we use it? High intensity football from the get go and then bring on the likes of TAA, Foden, Palmer and Watkins against tired legs.

My team for Tuesday would be;

Pickford

Shaw
Stones
Guehi
Walker

Rice
Mainoo

Gordon
Bellingham
Saka

Kane
That works except I don't think Shaw is fit enough to play and he chose Eze last time to come on so that is likely to be his 1st choice.

4LEX

Visit site
That works except I don't think Shaw is fit enough to play and he chose Eze last time to come on so that is likely to be his 1st choice.

Surely he's got to take a risk on Shaw soon though? Eze is too much of an individual for me, not international quality at the moment and did zero when he came on. He shouldn't be there, let alone getting minutes IMO.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That for me is one of the big problems.
City players swap positions to cover their team mates they do it so seamlessly .
So dosnt matter where Foden goes they cover every position with ease.

England don’t.

For me if we’re not getting the ball into the box I would leave Kane out.
If we’re going to sit deep and play on the break then Watkins / Gordon are better at it imo.
Watching Kane last night, every time he dropped deep he was running in treacle.

So drop Kane a world class striker who’s scored 64 goals for England , madness.

We all agree the system we are playing is wrong, adapt the system to get the best out of our players and Kane will get goals.

Southgate will not drop him but hopefully we play better next game and get a a couple of goals , then take Kane off and plus a few others to give them a rest.

Then we will see how others perform

4LEX

Visit site
By the way, people laughed when I said I believe Kane is jinxed and suggested we should play Bellingham up front with Foden in behind 👀

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After watching yet another shot from a free kick hit the wall 🙄, have we had a decent free kick this tournament yet?

Either a goal or producing a good save from a keeper?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I know we moaned about England's performance but this France Netherlands game is pretty dire....possibly the worst game of the tournament considering the alleged quality on show.